Warning: copied over Wesnoth may cause crashes

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
manored

Warning: copied over Wesnoth may cause crashes

Post by manored »

Just though I would post this here, since I dont see a sticky about it and this is the kind of things developers are bothered about :) Recently I formatted my pc and I didnt reinstall wesnoth, just copied files. The game seemed to work fine, but I noticed it was crashing on multiplayer with odd frequency (dont know about single-player, didnt got to play it). I reinstalled wesnoth properly and it hasnt crashed ever since. So dont play copied-over wesnoth even if it works :)
Gambit
Loose Screw

Re: Warning: copied over Wesnoth may cause crashes

Post by Gambit »

Only "copy over" the userdata folder. Everything else needs reinstalled properly first.
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

huh? there's no magic going on during an install, as long as you don't mix up the data and userdata directories between versions, nothing's stopping a copied version from working
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

It's just good habbit. :P

Especially for non-computer savvy users as just copying doesn't create start menu folder, desktop shortcuts, doesn't add it to the list of programs.

And the last thing we need in the world IMHO (even though wesnoth is open source) is more people copying programs.