no fonts

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Ernesto Manifesto

no fonts

Post by Ernesto Manifesto »

I've restarted, which use to work, but not now. font issue?
mac OSX 10.4.....
ernie
Attachments
font issue.jpg
penguin
macOS Packager

Re: no fonts

Post by penguin »

Hmmmm. I think I may have inadvertently made Wesnoth depend on Microsoft Office being installed. Sorry!

For some reason using a list of fonts doesn't work; it just uses the first one you list. I chose Arial Unicode MS because it has more of Wesnoth's languages than any other one I could find - but I didn't realize it might have been installed by MS Office.

Could you tell me if it's installed, and if you've installed MS Office? Either by opening Font Book and seeing if it's there, or looking in /Library/Fonts, /System/Library/Fonts and <home>/Library/Fonts for it.
Ernesto Manifesto

Sorry i'm a little slow in answering.

I do not have Microsoft office installed. Try to avoid it at home, if possible.
I work in advertising as a creative guy so I do have the entire font family of Arial.
I first just tired turning on my postscript Arial and had no luck, so then I just turned on all of my Arial versions postscript and truetype, and it did display correctly.

Now I'll work backwards to figure out exactly which version(s) of Arial it needs. kinda looks like the "narrow" to me right now and I'll confim that to you, so us Mac guys without Arial running know which font to turn on.

ernie
Ernesto Manifesto

Okay I did a bit more checking on the font.

On my Mac you need to have the truetype version of Arial open. It will not display correctly with the postscript version of the font running. (Very weird to me, but that's the case.) Just needs the main weight, as far as I can tell so far. (see attachment)

One thing I didn't mention before, The opening screens and the beginning story all display correct without Arial installed, it just went bad when I got the dialogue between characters. I guess that's when you went to Arial.

Truetype version of Arial needed for Mac shown in attachment.

thanks,

ernie
Attachments
truetype Arial font
truetype Arial font
penguin
macOS Packager

Post by penguin »

Interesting. That is weird that the PostScript version doesn't work. Maybe it has a different name? All I specify is a name ("arial unicode ms"). Looking in Font Book it says "PostScript name: ArialUnicodeMS", which has no spaces; maybe that's the issue? What sucks is that Wesnoth comes with fonts that work, but, to make them work with Pango/Cairo (the new font rendering system Wesnoth is switching to; the reason most text works is that most text still uses SDL_ttf), I would have to install them, because it uses the system text rendering services. But worse than that, there's 3 fonts, each with different supported languages, and as I said before, lists of fonts to fall back on don't work. So even if I installed all the fonts, I would have to choose just one to use, and none of them support all the necessary glyphs. Which is why I used Arial Unicode MS - it supports most of the languages Wesnoth is translated into.

I'm not sure what to do.
Attachments
The font I use, in Font Book.
The font I use, in Font Book.
Ernesto Manifesto

penguin wrote:Interesting. That is weird that the PostScript version doesn't work. Maybe it has a different name?
Okay I figured out why my Postscript version won't work. I don't have ArialMT, the regular book weight of the font as a postscript font. (&%#@*&)
I have a bunch of other postscript Arial files and a suitcase named ArialMT but not that postscript font. Sorry for any confusion.
See attachment.
Attachments
Arialfont.jpg