Cannot downlaod addons

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
OrionRiver

Cannot downlaod addons

Post by OrionRiver »

When I click on the button "Add-ons," it prompts me for the campaign server, to which I leave the default "campaigns.wesnoth.org." It then says "Connecting to server..." and brings up a notification saying "[Error] Remote host disconnected." Consequently, I can't download any additional campaigns.

I have also tried server2(and 3).wesnoth.org, to no avail.

I am running ubuntu on an IBM t41 laptop. I have experienced no other issues, and this problem persists on other networks. (in other words, it is highly unlikely that this is a connectivity problem related to my network) I have also tried reinstalling wesnoth, which didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated.
Heat, pressure and time; the three things that make a diamond... also make a waffle.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Re: Cannot downlaod addons

Post by Turuk »

Which version of Wesnoth are you playing that you are having this difficulty?

OrionRiver wrote:(in other words, it is highly unlikely that this is a connectivity problem related to my network)
It would have to be something on your end somewhere though, as both of the add-on servers currently function perfectly well.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
OrionRiver

Post by OrionRiver »

1.4, and I didn't mean that the problem itself wasn't on my end, just that my issue is probably not related to my router or modem.
Heat, pressure and time; the three things that make a diamond... also make a waffle.
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

Well, for a possible workaround, try downloading them from the website and then placing them in your userdata folder.

http://www.wesnoth.org/addons/1.4
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
OrionRiver

Post by OrionRiver »

Thanks, that will certainly help.
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

If that works, the cause is probably some firewall blocking the port(s) used by wesnoth.
McShark

Post by McShark »

I have the same problemes here on a Win Xp machine. I'm using always the latest svn version, the problem occurs since some days. For testing purpose, the firewall was switched of but the problem stays the same.

Edit: I've tried recent 1.6Beta2, it worked fine there (add-ons.wesnoth.org), then I've tried trunk (always defaults to campaigns.wesnoth.org) with the same address, works not :?
Aedh

Post by Aedh »

Hey, new guy here. I'm having the same problem too. This happens with both The latest 1.4 stable build and the latest beta release. My firewall was switched off and I still get the message "[Error] Remote host disconnected."

Of course, I could just download the campaigns individually from the add-ons page, but downloading them all like that would probably end up making me frustrated enough to eat my own stubble.
TL

Post by TL »

I can use the 1.4 addons server just fine from the current stable version, but the 1.5.11 build has been getting "remote host disconnected" every time I try it.
ilor
Inactive Developer

Post by ilor »

There's a bug in 1.5.11 ( https://gna.org/bugs/?13059 ) that makes addon downloading not work on Windows. The problem is fixed in trunk.

edit: also, this is mentioned on the main page and apparently there are fixed binaries available for Windows
Kelben

Re: Wesnoth 1.5.11

Post by Kelben »

Guys, it is still bugged. Try to download a campaign from the add-on server. It works but then you can not select it in the campaign menu.

Moved from 1.5.11 release announcement by dfranke
-WAR- Wesnoth Allied Rebels
dfranke
Inactive Developer

Post by dfranke »

Kelben, first of all make sure that the add-on you downloaded is in fact a single-player campaign and not some other type of add-on such as a faction or an MP map pack. Assuming that it is in fact a campaign, try restarting the game and see if it shows up in the campaign menu after restarting. Bugs related to the necessity of restarting should have been squashed a while ago, but nonetheless please try it and see if it helps.
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

dfranke, thank you for your assistance.
Yes they are single player campaign.
Restarting the game helps in fact yes, that is the solution. I am sorry to did not even think of it before. I was just used to download and enjoy right away. Thank you for your time.
dfranke
Inactive Developer

Post by dfranke »

Kelben, glad that fixed your problem. As I said, though, you aren't supposed to have to do that. None of us can reproduce the issue. If you see this come up again and you're able to find a recipe for consistently producing this behavior, please file a bug report on http://bugs.wesnoth.org. TIA.
Kelben

Post by Kelben »

I understand the interest of following traditional way to report bugs. I added the page at my favorite in case I find out something else again one day. Thanks again.