support for netbooks

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Thanatos

Re: support for netbooks

Post by Thanatos »

Easiest way should be to edit the shortcut.
Open the shortcut preferences menu with a right-click on the shortcut.
You will see a line like "C:\....\wesnoth.exe" just add --smallgui at the end of that line.
Close the menu and left-click onto the shortcut to run the game.

Edit: Oh well, maybe I should just let people explain it, who know better.
Check out this link.
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
lmelior

Post by lmelior »

There are other command line switches that may be useful to you as well. For instance, on my Aspire One netbook I use something like this:

Code: Select all

wesnoth -r 1024x600 -f --smallgui
jura_crvenobradi

Post by jura_crvenobradi »

First method worked (gracias signor Muerte) even though it was still windowed.
Second method worked like a charm (thank you fellow netbook user). I just altered resolution to 1024x576. Could you please elaborate what does ''-f'' stand for? (''-r'' is resolution I presume)
Thanatos

Post by Thanatos »

jura_crvenobradi wrote:First method worked (gracias signor Muerte) even though it was still windowed.
Oh, was that a problem? Hope not.

As you can now enjoy all the Wesnoth fun, I'll add "Welcome to the forums!" ;)
ThanatoNoth | Necromanteion | Undead Rights Protection Society
"The gods can demand nothing of me. Even gods answer to me, eventually. [...] I cannot be bidden, I cannot be forced. I will do only that which I know to be right." (Death in Pratchett's "Mort")
Aethaeryn
Translator

Post by Aethaeryn »

jura_crvenobradi wrote:First method worked (gracias signor Muerte) even though it was still windowed.
Second method worked like a charm (thank you fellow netbook user). I just altered resolution to 1024x576. Could you please elaborate what does ''-f'' stand for? (''-r'' is resolution I presume)
I'd assume that f is fullscreen.
Aethaeryn (User Page)
Wiki Moderator (wiki)
Latin Translator [wiki=Latin Translation](wiki)[/wiki]
Maintainer of Thunderstone Era (wiki) and Aethaeryn's Maps [wiki=Aethaeryn's Maps](wiki)[/wiki]
lmelior

Post by lmelior »

Aethaeryn wrote:
I'd assume that f is fullscreen.
Yep. I'm not sure how it works in Windows, but in Linux you can just type "wesnoth -h" or "wesnoth --help" to get the full list of options. Here is an older version from before "--smallgui" was added. Or, if you can ignore the markup you can see the latest man page in the Wesnoth SVN here.

I don't remember if I've actually tried it, but the resolution may be detected automatically if you use "-f" or "--fullscreen" without explicitly specifying it with "-r" or "--resolution". At least, I believe the developers are hoping that is the case.
jura_crvenobradi

Post by jura_crvenobradi »

Oh, was that a problem? Hope not.
As you can now enjoy all the Wesnoth fun, I'll add "Welcome to the forums!" ;)
It wasn't much of a problem but i prefer fullscreen.
Now I'm mobile while playing Wesnoth. Yeah! :D
Yep. I'm not sure how it works in Windows, but in Linux you can just type "wesnoth -h" or "wesnoth --help" to get the full list of options. Here is an older version from before "--smallgui" was added. Or, if you can ignore the markup you can see the latest man page in the Wesnoth SVN here.

I don't remember if I've actually tried it, but the resolution may be detected automatically if you use "-f" or "--fullscreen" without explicitly specifying it with "-r" or "--resolution". At least, I believe the developers are hoping that is the case.
I don't think it auto detects res. Otherwise it would set 1024x576 res when you change preferences to fullscreen in preferences file. I think.
It matters not. Wesnoth works great. Thank you guys.
penguat

Post by penguat »

You can modify the menu option in gnome-based linux distributions using alacarte, for example, in ubuntu and ubuntu netbook remix. The command-line options should be added immediately after the command itself, e.g.

wesnoth-nolog
becomes

wesnoth-nolog -f --smallgui
using Ubuntu Netbook remix 9.10

//usual disclaimer - no responsibility for your following these instructions, all at your own risk...