Ellipsis ("...") in status area instead of text on

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
ultraviolet

Ellipsis ("...") in status area instead of text on

Post by ultraviolet »

My system:
Battle for Wesnoth (embedded) version 0.5.0
Mac OS X, version 10.2.7
Dual 1.25 GHz G4, 2 GB RAM

The problem:
The status area that shows turn, gold, units, villages, upkeep, income, and so forth usually displays "..." rather than helpful text.

The display is correct during the initial storyline dialog:
http://users.starpower.net/chrisndeb/we ... pening.pdf

But as soon as play starts, it turns into the ellipsis:
http://users.starpower.net/chrisndeb/wesnoth/play.pdf

On mouseover of the ellipsis, there is a "tooltip" type display, so the game is somewhat playable:
http://users.starpower.net/chrisndeb/we ... seover.pdf

During play, I find that as I scroll around with the arrow keys, every once in a great while, the display will suddenly appear, but as soon as the mouse passes into another hex, the display goes back to the ellipsis.
ultraviolet

Post by ultraviolet »

Just tested with Sithrandel's post of a 0.5.1 in the hp bar thread, and had essentially same problem. However, it is technically worse, in that I no longer get the "tooltip" indication on mouseover. Other than that, it's the same behavior.
Kamahawk

Post by Kamahawk »

Im getting the same problem running mac os 10.2.8 and the heath bars for all units apear totaly white (not even the black border) at seemingly random times. :x
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

We are looking into the problem, but for the moment please use windowed mode to enjoy the game to the full :-)
Sithrandel

Post by Sithrandel »

OK... reducing optimisation from -o3 to -o2 has solved the elipsis problem on my machine. I hope it also works for others. Dave has also updated the tooltips so they should work. In addition he has solved the colour problems when switching from fullscreen to windowed and back.

Sadly, however, the hit point problem is still there for the moment. So it is best to stick to windowed mode for now.

The updated game can be found at:

http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/wes ... 5.2cvs.dmg

Hope this helps :-)
ultraviolet

Post by ultraviolet »

Just tested the 0.5.2cvs post, and it does solve the ellipsis problem on my system! Definitely makes me happy. :D

I was having the ellipsis problem in both full screen and windowed, now it is fixed in both. As Sithrandel suggests, I do still have the hp problem, but only in full screen, so I'm good in windowed.

Also, a new minor problem has appeared in 0.5.2cvs posted below, which is that the orbs on the staffs of enemy units have disappeared. Doesn't affect playability, it's just a mental substitution of "no orb" for "black orb". Usually pretty easy to tell who's who anyway :wink:. The orbs of both my units and allied units are drawn correctly. Maybe this is unrelated or has to do with the 0.5.1 changelog note: " 'flags' to show which side unit is on". I'm not sure what that means.

Anyway, the orb thing doesn't affect me, so it looks like 0.5.2cvs in windowed mode is going to be pretty playable for me. Thanks! 8)
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

The orbs disappearing is intentional.

Lots of people complain that they find it hard to identify who is a friend, who is an enemy. Rather than explain that different orb colours mean different things, and black means an enemy, we decided to simply remove orbs for enemies. That way we can simply say, "enemies do not have orbs at the top of their hitpoint bar".

David
ultraviolet

Post by ultraviolet »

Cool. Thanks.
Sofronius

Post by Sofronius »

...we decided to simply remove orbs for enemies...
I have changed information about Orbs in Wiky in order to keep it up to date. Change should be also made to CVS - to MANUAL and all of its translations.
Blades

Post by Blades »

Sorry, I have to play the devil's advocate but...

.5.2cvs doesn't work with multiplayer. Much to my discontentment I must say, after I downloaded it and decided to try multiplayer for the first time, and surprise, surprise, it doesn't work :( .

So I thought I'd point that out.

Good luck to ye.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

When you say 'multiplayer didn't work' what do you mean?

If you mean you couldn't connect to the standard server, because you have a version of the game differing from its version, then that is expected. (there is a development server at kanetti1848.kanetti.com available which you should be able to use).

Or do you mean it didn't work in some other way?

David