Theme Issues

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Pligon

Theme Issues

Post by Pligon »

I'm new to the game, and i was looking around in the Preferences window... and I saw the 'Themes' button. When I clicked it, it said there were no themes available, to try in a game. I did just that, ( i started a game, and tried the 'Themes'), and picked one that sounded interesting (don't remember which, sorry...). When I did, it said the effects will occur when i start the next game, so i quit and started over, and now i am in a perpetual loop of the game crashing when i start it up... Is there any way to fix this problem?

By the way, I am running Ubuntu 8.04
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Theme Issues

Post by zookeeper »

Open the ~/.wesnoth/preferences file, find the theme= line and change it back to:

theme="Default"

Or just delete the file and restart the game if you don't mind setting all preferences again.

Generally, only the default theme is actually maintained properly. I don't think there's anything very interesting to see in the other ones, and as you've noticed, they're probably a bit buggy too. ;)
Pligon

Post by Pligon »

Can you be a little more specific of which file to edit, please... i found one called Preferences.hpp, Preferences.cpp, Game_Preferences.hpp(and cpp), Game_Preferences_Display.hpp(and cpp)... I don't mean to sound a little rude... i just would like to know which one to change/delete before i go and mess everything up... But, thanks for the reply.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Pligon wrote:Can you be a little more specific of which file to edit, please...
There should be a directory named .wesnoth in your home directory. The preferences file is in there.
Pligon

Post by Pligon »

Yeah, I know what you mean, its just that there is no preference file in there...
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

The file you are looking for is called preferences, has no extensions and sits in /userdata directory, that's the same place /saves are kept. I don't have linux at hand but my guess would be .wesnoth/uesrdata/preferences or something similar.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
vicza

Post by vicza »

Pligon wrote:i found one called Preferences.hpp, Preferences.cpp, Game_Preferences.hpp(and cpp), Game_Preferences_Display.hpp(and cpp)...
You're looking in the sources, and you have to look in your home directory.
Mist wrote:I don't have linux at hand but my guess would be .wesnoth/uesrdata/preferences or something similar.
No userdata, just .wesnoth/preferences.
Pligon

Post by Pligon »

Alright. I figured it out. Thanks for your help guys.

I have another question (that i was about to post in another thread...), Does anyone know how to get the music files to work in Ubuntu? All my sound effects work, but the music never does. I have checked and all the Music files are there, though...
AI
Developer

Post by AI »

There's a whole range of things that could cause that, so here are a few questions that might help.
-Do other programs have working sound?
-Do you know if you're using ALSA or OSS?