Wretched wench or Messages we never see

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
vicza

Wretched wench or Messages we never see

Post by vicza » May 3rd, 2008, 6:42 pm

In HTTT:Battle for Wesnoth, in the beginning, there is this dialog:

Code: Select all

[role]
            type=Grand Knight
            side=1
            role=clanboss
        [/role]
        [message]
            description=Asheviere
            message= _ "So, these rebels come at last to face me, while most of my army is off fighting the fickle clans."
        [/message]
        [message]
            speaker=clanboss
            message= _ "Wretched wench. Your army is tasting death as we speak. The clans have arrived to unseat you, pretender!"
        [/message]
But has anyone ever seen it in the game? I -- never. Until I changed "speaker=clanboss" to "role=clanboss". I don't know, what was wrong in the original code, but the fact is, it doesn't work.

And another example, from more recent campaign, THOT:Strange_Allies. There is a dialog in the end:

[event]
        name="die"
        [filter]
            description="Gothras"
        [/filter]

[if]
            [have_unit]
                name="Marth Tak"
            [/have_unit]

[message]
                description="Marth Tak"
                message=_"My thanks, dwarves.  These bandits might have hacked a bloody swathe through the Alliance's tribes if we had not killed them here."
            [/message]

[message]
                description="Aiglondur"
                message=_"My thanks to you, for proving there are orcs I can fight alongside rather than against.  But we cannot linger here to celebrate; we are journeying east."
            [/message]

[message]
                description="Marth Tak"
                message=_"East, eh? You won't find many friends in that direction. Travel safely."
            [/message]
        [/if]
    [/event]
but I never saw it in the game either. I don't know, what's wrong here. But, I think, the event can be changed to "victory". And there is no need to check if Marth Tak is alive, he must be alive anyway.

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Wretched wench or Messages we never see

Post by zookeeper » May 3rd, 2008, 7:25 pm

vicza wrote:In HTTT:Battle for Wesnoth, in the beginning, there is this dialog:

[role]
            type=Grand Knight
            side=1
            role=clanboss
        [/role]
        [message]
            description=Asheviere
            message= _ "So, these rebels come at last to face me, while most of my army is off fighting the fickle clans."
        [/message]
        [message]
            speaker=clanboss
            message= _ "Wretched wench. Your army is tasting death as we speak. The clans have arrived to unseat you, pretender!"
        [/message]
But has anyone ever seen it in the game? I -- never. Until I changed "speaker=clanboss" to "role=clanboss". I don't know, what was wrong in the original code, but the fact is, it doesn't work.
Thanks, fixed.

shadowm
Site Administrator

Re: Wretched wench or Messages we never see

Post by shadowm » May 6th, 2008, 12:57 am

vicza wrote:And another example, from more recent campaign, THOT:Strange_Allies. There is a dialog in the end:
but I never saw it in the game either. I don't know, what's wrong here. But, I think, the event can be changed to "victory". And there is no need to check if Marth Tak is alive, he must be alive anyway.
I just fixed it in SVN (trunk and 1.4 branch), by adding the missing enclosing [then] node. I agree that the event's logic is very clumsy, but I still have to discuss that with the author...
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.