A problem with un-stoned units

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
vicza

A problem with un-stoned units

Post by vicza » April 30th, 2008, 5:32 pm

I've noticed a strange problem. HTTT, The Valley of Statues (yes, I know, it's not in mainline, but I don't think the problem is with the scenario). At the picture is the moment when the units were just unstoned. You see this orc near the castle. Units like Konrad or Lisar can attack him. But units like the Great Mage or thieves -- cannot. That is, units who were stoned themselves. They can move, as usual, but they cannot attack in this turn. Is it a bug, or a feature?
Attachments
stone.png

shadowm
Site Administrator

Re: A problem with un-stoned units

Post by shadowm » April 30th, 2008, 6:26 pm

vicza wrote:I've noticed a strange problem. HTTT, The Valley of Statues (yes, I know, it's not in mainline, but I don't think the problem is with the scenario). At the picture is the moment when the units were just unstoned. You see this orc near the castle. Units like Konrad or Lisar can attack him. But units like the Great Mage or thieves -- cannot. That is, units who were stoned themselves. They can move, as usual, but they cannot attack in this turn. Is it a bug, or a feature?
Not sure whether it is a bug or a feature, but I guess can be solved by setting each unstoned unit's attacks_left parameter to 1 via WML...

or the almighty :debug :unit command! :mrgreen:
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.

vicza

Post by vicza » April 30th, 2008, 6:54 pm

Shadow Master wrote:Not sure whether it is a bug or a feature, but I guess can be solved by setting each unstoned unit's attacks_left parameter to 1 via WML...
It is 1 already:

Code: Select all

[unit]
		advanceto="null"
		alignment="neutral"
		alpha="256"
		attacks_left="1"  <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
		cost="72"
		description="Elrian"
		die_sound="    human-old-die-1.ogg,human-old-die-2.ogg,human-old-die-3.ogg"
		ellipse="misc/ellipse"
		experience="3"
		facing="s"
		flag_rgb="magenta"
		flying="no"
		gender="male"
		gender_id="male"
		goto_x="-999"
		goto_y="-999"
		hitpoints="73"
		id="Great Mage"
		image="units/human-magi/great-mage.png"
#textdomain wesnoth-units
		language_name=_ "Great Mage"
		level="4"
		max_attacks="1"
		max_experience="100"
		max_hitpoints="65"
		max_moves="5"
		movement="5"
		movement_type="smallfoot"
		moves="5"
		overlays="misc/loyal-icon.png"
		race="human"
		random_traits="no"
		resting="yes"
		side="1"
		type="Great Mage"
		unrenamable="no"
		upkeep="loyal"
		usage="mixed fighter"
		user_description="Р-Р>С_РёР°Р_"
		value="72"
		zoc="4"

shadowm
Site Administrator

Post by shadowm » April 30th, 2008, 11:36 pm

Bummer. :|
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.

Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink » May 1st, 2008, 3:10 pm

Thanks for the report, fixed in svn-trunk-r26282.
PS: In general, better use http://bugs.wesnoth.org
OTOH it's true that if you are not sure if it's a feature, discussing it on the forum is also good :)

vicza

Post by vicza » May 3rd, 2008, 10:10 am

Alink wrote:Thanks for the report, fixed in svn-trunk-r26282.
Thank you, but... it still doesn't work. 1.4.1+svn, one of last version (updated and compiled today at night). I even replayed the scenario from the beginning, they still cannot attack.

Or... you mean you fixed it ONLY in trunk? But why? Isn't 1.4 version now for fixing bugs and adding translations?

shadowm
Site Administrator

Post by shadowm » May 3rd, 2008, 7:52 pm

vicza wrote:
Alink wrote:Thanks for the report, fixed in svn-trunk-r26282.
Thank you, but... it still doesn't work. 1.4.1+svn, one of last version (updated and compiled today at night). I even replayed the scenario from the beginning, they still cannot attack.

Or... you mean you fixed it ONLY in trunk? But why? Isn't 1.4 version now for fixing bugs and adding translations?
Non-intrusive bugs. Id est, bugs that won't cause issues in multiplayer games between players who have different versions of the stable Wesnoth branch.

vicza

Post by vicza » May 6th, 2008, 12:22 am

Shadow Master wrote:Non-intrusive bugs. Id est, bugs that won't cause issues in multiplayer games between players who have different versions of the stable Wesnoth branch.
In multiplayer games there are units using stone? :shock:

Hmm, I'd say, Wesnoth developers have quite a specific view on stable version. Lots of things were already changed in stable 1.4 since its release (especially graphical staff), meanwhile bugs are fixed in development version...

Anyway. Are you sure the bug really was fixed? I just tried to make the same changes in 1.4, but the mentioned problem still persists.

Alink
Inactive Developer

Post by Alink » May 6th, 2008, 3:59 pm

vicza wrote: Anyway. Are you sure the bug really was fixed? I just tried to make the same changes in 1.4, but the mentioned problem still persists.
I didn't checked this specific scenario, but in code and in my test case, what is fixed is "freshly unstoned can't attack their first turn". Now, I don't know how you tested the change, but verify that you need a savegame of a previous turn, because the bug was to remove all attacks of stoned units at the beginning of the turn (where other units regain all their attacks). Alternatively, you can load your old savegame, wait a turn, then unstone the units and check their attacks.

Maybe also post this savegame to verify that there is nothing special in this scenario, or try with other WML using unstone, to reproduce the bug (and the fix, I hope)
vicza wrote: Hmm, I'd say, Wesnoth developers have quite a specific view on stable version. Lots of things were already changed in stable 1.4 since its release (especially graphical staff), meanwhile bugs are fixed in development version...
Well, besides the MP OOS problem that Shadow Master mentionned, there is also the fact that it's almost look like a feature, so UMC may rely on it.
Also more generally, we must draw a line somewhere. We will find a lot of old bugs during the 1.5 development, checking and porting all of them will be some work (the global code change and big changes are often done in early dev version) and when fixing bugs, there is always the risk to break something else (which is bad for a stable version, especially when the initial bug is minor). This is why it's safer to change graphical stuff in stable than change code of rule linked to OOS, replay, complex WML of UMC etc... So art and code are different for that matter and since they are often not handled by the same developers, maybe there is also a different methods to decide what backport.

In this case, I am not sure, but maybe it can be fixed by a WML macro to reset attacks of unstoned units. But I see now that the WML you posted seems to indicate a possible problem there. I will try to find if it can work.

vicza

Post by vicza » May 6th, 2008, 4:23 pm

Alink wrote:Now, I don't know how you tested the change, but verify that you need a savegame of a previous turn, because the bug was to remove all attacks of stoned units at the beginning of the turn (where other units regain all their attacks). Alternatively, you can load your old savegame, wait a turn, then unstone the units and check their attacks.
Yes, you are right. If I wait a turn before unstoning, they can attack. Thanks.