Under the Burning Suns - got out of bed on the wrong side

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Ancalagon

Under the Burning Suns - got out of bed on the wrong side

Post by Ancalagon »

I was just playing The Morning After on Nightmare difficulty, and encountered some problems. Either there has been a huge difficulty change, or there is something wrong. The last time I played (1.2.1), I found it pretty easy. This time, Xanthos arrived 2 turns early, I hadn't even seen Garak by the time he did, and his unhitable (literally - I think 1 hit out of around 20 strikes) Blood Bats my units and killed Nym.

Also, Kaleh's level-up procedure is very unexplained, leaving no knowledge of what happens - does choosing archery make him a Ranger or Marksman, or does it just change his damage or strikes? Does learning to survive have any effect in this scenario? I notice no difference, nor does "camoflauge" show up in the Traits list.

Could someone explain, please?
Rhuvaen
Inactive Developer

Re: Under the Burning Suns - got out of bed on the wrong side

Post by Rhuvaen »

It's quite possible that The Morning After was adjusted in terms of difficulty since 1.2.1 (which I think was before the refactoring of the campaign). But your bat problem is certainly a stroke of poor luck.

For Kaleh's advancements, note that you can see the changed unit in the left part of the advancement dialog. That will show you how the unit changes if a particular advancement is taken. Kaleh still adheres to the Fighter -> Hero / Captain -> Champion / Marshal tree concerning his unit type, but the stats and abilities are very dependent on your choices.

Sadly, there is currently no way to display the new abilities' descriptions in the advancement dialog as a tooltip. Btw, advancements only add new abilities, not traits, so you should see them in the abilities list when they are active ("sustenance" is only active in daylight, for instance).
Ancalagon

Post by Ancalagon »

If I recall correctly, Kaleh starts as a "Desert Youth".
Xyan

Post by Xyan »

^ True.

Anyway, a possible alternative (before the devs re-explained the whole AMLA's development thing in-game) is to mouse-over the abilities/traits in your playing screen. Example, even if the camouflage doesn't show up in the traits list, you could mouse-over it after you got it (on the right-hand side of the playing screen below your unit's sprite), and a tool-tip will show up, which in this case will tell something about "this unit will be hidden in sand dunes" or something like that. If you mouse-over other things, like the HP, it will show the unit's current resistances etc etc (if changed by an item/ability for example).

Try it! It's a really neat feature.. :) just discovered this very recently by accident actually :oops:
'Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life' - Terry Pratchett