technical "problems"

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
enclave

technical "problems"

Post by enclave »

Windows XP
wesnoth every version since i started (1.3.10 i believe or 1.3.11)

When i installed the game the first time 3-4 months ago, you didnt have the load bar on the screen yet.

I chose to start the compaign, to start my first game, it halted for maybe 3-5 minutes with no changes on the screen, it was looking like the game would not start at all. I pressed Ctrl+alt+delete and stopped the process. Was going to delete the game but decided to try again. I started the compaign and decided to wait, went to make some coffee etc etc.. when i came back it started. So i started to play wesnoth.

At the moment, when i click on the wesnoth's icon to run the game, it loads into game, then i start any map, and it halts for about 2 minutes on "Initializing display" (i attached the screen copy).

Then, after i played this map, i start another map and it doesnt halt, it starts quick. It starts quick every game since my 1st game. If i quit wesnoth and run it again, it halts again.

So it halts only in the first game i play after entering wesnoth.

Mainly it is a problem when i run first Multiplayer game, i need to put myself #4 when i play 4 players game, so that players wouldnt decide that i am afk or disconnected or not going to play. I am going through initializing display while they move, so i get to play exactly when it is to be my turn.

I really dont f**king care if you lock it or not answer to it, it is your problem, not mine, i can live with it, believe me.
Attachments
screen copy
screen copy
start.jpg (54.24 KiB) Viewed 3294 times
paris

Post by paris »

whats your CPU and RAM?
enclave

Post by enclave »

AMD Sempron(tm) Processor
3000+
1.80 GHz, 1,00 GB of RAM
Quietus
Art Contributor

Re: technical "problems"

Post by Quietus »

enclave wrote: I really dont f**king care if you lock it or not answer to it, it is your problem, not mine, i can live with it, believe me.
The reason for your previous locks were because they were ideas that the mods did not wish to implement into the game. They wont lock any technical matter. Plus its not really their problem either :wink:

As for the problem, it may be because your computer is trying to find files which may have been moved and/or edited. Thus it spends time trying to find them. It happened with me on an other programme where i moved the folder to a different lcoation. Takes about a minute to load.

Your CPU and RAM seem fine, as does your processor. Other than that i dont know im afraid. Im not an expert with computers :(
enclave

Post by enclave »

thanks Quietus for reply.

i didnt move any folders.. or files.. it happens every single time i enter the game and start to paly it. any other big program loads faster.. so i dont think the problem is in my computer.. it can be developers problem of coding connected to my computer special settings or something.. which means it is their problem more than my computer's..

im just trying to help them make their baby work fine. If they decide it is not important, i dont mind it. their decision.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Actually, maybe if you weren't so bloody arrogant somebody might take you more serious sometime. I could follow your approach and say something like "Your bloody problem if you can't even provide basic system info"

You describe graphics issue, if you really want us to do something with it the least we need is:
*Your graphic card - model, VideoRAM, drivers
*Your DirectX - version and dxdiag test results
I've got your CPU, and RAM now, but that could find itself in first post

Since that could be also I/O problem run wesnoth with --log-debug=all and post last few dozen lines from stderr.txt

Is there a difference in load time when you run WML light campaign (like Orcish Incursion) and WML heavy one (like UtBS) if yes, how large.

Does disabling labels,halo effects and animations helps the load time.

Does not using compression make a difference.

Does turning off sounds make a difference.
Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

From what you describe i get the suspicion it has to do with the cache building (slow at first time, fast after that fits that).

Please check how many multiplayer add-ons (and which) you got installed. If that is a whole bunch: Yes, this is a part of wesnoth that is not optimized at the moment. Not much you could do about it except uninstall a few.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
enclave

Post by enclave »

To Yogi Bear: thanks for reply, the problem was present since i started to play, in the past i had no add-ons at all. At present i have not more than 2 add-ons.. i guess... well... i dont know if it is a bunch.. or few...

To Mist: thanks for friendly reply, i will do all the following tests to help you because i see you are interested in problem. i will post the results later, currently in a hurry. thanks again.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

enclave wrote:To Yogi Bear: thanks for reply, the problem was present since i started to play, in the past i had no add-ons at all. At present i have not more than 2 add-ons.. i guess... well... i dont know if it is a bunch.. or few...
Well, it really depends which add-ons you got installed. There are big ones (like extended era) and small ones that have merely no effect. And then there are small ones that turn into big ones because they are full of macros that extend to much much WML.

Would be best to have the add-ons named therefore.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
enclave

Post by enclave »

just typed to remove add-ons to possibly see which i have.. it says i have none :)