Game crashes during opponent's turn

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
blackjack

Game crashes during opponent's turn

Post by blackjack »

Played Heir to the Throne on 0.7.9, on mac os x 10.2.8.

No problems until this: during northern winter, the game always crashes during the AI's turn in this save-file. I'm going to try restarting the scenario.

0.7.9 also has mild stability issues, but I suspect it has something to do with my computer, rather than wesnoth.
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

This problem is corrected in CVS.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Hi,

well a link, or the correction itself would be nice.

I do not want to download the cvs version, and install it, only to be able to end a scenario before the next release comes out. Exspecially, if a little diff could be the solution.

With the new version I have to start from the begining, like all the other games since 0.5 and I would like to end the campaign with 0.7.9.
miyo

Post by miyo »

CVS HEAD starts changing right after release, when there is bug Dave tests the bug in CVS HEAD and produces a fix in CVS HEAD. This does not mean that the fix, as it is, works in release version as it is possible that there are other changes already in CVS HEAD that prevent fix from CVS HEAD to work in release.

Anyway, releases are done quite often.

What do you mean by " have to start from the begining, like all the other games since 0.5", end-of-scenario saved games have worked juts fine for me (while middle-of-scenario saves have not)

- Miyo
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Hi,

everytime there is a 'level balancing' or 'unit balancing' all savegames are worthless for me, because with the 'new' settings, I would not have certain units at this certain point.
And I had enough trouble with 'old' savegames, thank you, that is no alternative any more.

So I start over with every new release.. and yes, had probs because of that, and yes, I am frustrated because I can not end Northern Winter. Great, really.

This is as great, as the time when wesnoth ate savegames... that time, you could circumvent it, by saving after your first turn, but how should I end a level, that is crashing while playing?

Oh, and that is my error, northern Winter, Turn 12:
move: 1852140910, 116 - 1852140910, 116
ai::move_unit 1852140911117 -> 1852140911,117
ai_interface::move_unit 1852140911117 -> 1852140911,117
BEGIN: move_unit
Could not find unit at 1852140910, 116
wesnoth: ai.cpp:208: gamemap::location ai_interface::move_unit(gamemap::location, gamemap::location, std::map<gamemap::location, paths, std::less<gamemap::location>, std::allocator<std::pair<const gamemap::location, paths> > >&): Assertion `false' failed.

And end of game.

And it happens everytime with NW. (started it over in 0.7.9 for the third time now. Should I point out, that I am annoyed now?)
So it is not a 'bad luck bug' but a 'Northern Winter is f* up bug'.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

If you don't want to deal with instability, then play a stable version of the game (currently 0.7), or wait for version 1.0.

Development versions are likely to be unstable -- that's why they're called development versions.

We do not backport fixes to development versions: time and effort is better spent making a new version.

FWIW I believe version 0.7.10 will have few or no changes to any of the scenarios before 'Northern Winter'.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Hi,

it is not that wesnoth is not stable enough, and it is fun to play.

But something like 'change file X to cvs version' would be great, to be able to see the scenarios behind Northern Winter, or woudn't?

Glück Auf
Volker
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

If you change the file ai_move.cpp to the CVS version it might work.

But it might not even compile...not sure; you can try it, but I'm not going to be able to support it if it doesn't work.

Cheers,

David
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

Hi,

thanks, I will try it tonight, and no, I will not complain, if it does not work.
lastobelus

Post by lastobelus »

What's the ETA of 0.7.10?

I'm also experiencing this bug. If I build from CVS HEAD, how likely am I to have a playable game?
miyo

Post by miyo »

It depends on what commits just get in. One minute CVS HEAD can be broken, another minute it can be working again.

CVS HEAD is a moving target, in case of Wesnoth it is moving fast.

- Miyo
fmunoz
Founding Artist

Post by fmunoz »

Usually if it compiles is playable :-)
if not just go to the IRC #wesnoth channel and bug Dave or other developers to fix it.