Connection timed out

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
ProggerPete

Connection timed out

Post by ProggerPete »

I'm unable to join the official server because it tells me the connection timed out.

How can I fix this, or is the problem elsewhere?

I was able to connect yesterday.
ProggerPete

Post by ProggerPete »

are other ppl able to connect at the moment?
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

ProggerPete wrote:are other ppl able to connect at the moment?
I had no problem to connect yesterday. Just try it again today.
ProggerPete

Post by ProggerPete »

Yeah, works again now. No idea what changed.
ProggerPete

Post by ProggerPete »

And now I can't connect again....
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

If you seem to be unable to connect, just try it again a few hours or a day later. If it keeps happening however, there might be something else wrong. However, I again was perfectly able to connect today - several times.
Gogora

Post by Gogora »

Yeah, I've been getting problems with connecting to the wesnoth official server too. Usually by just waiting and trying again, it fixes itself. But it happens too often now. I'm a little suspicious about what is actually wrong with that server. :shock: 8)
Gogora

Post by Gogora »

Well, I connected through the timeouts and guess what I found? I found that I was connected to a german server, redirected from the main wesnoth server. This is all self-explanatory.

Anyone else connecting to wesnoth servers in germany?
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Gogora wrote:I found that I was connected to a german server, redirected from the main wesnoth server. This is all self-explanatory.

Anyone else connecting to wesnoth servers in germany?
server.wesnoth.org is the same as gonzo.dicp.de which is in germany. I'm unsure what you're trying to say.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Gogora

Post by Gogora »

Well, if your on the other side of the globe, it will time out and be slower - more often then people who play in germany. You understand why this happens, yes?
Gogora

Post by Gogora »

Hi, yeah.

I got a link explaining "lag". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag

It's a little more detailed then me just saying that it's self-explanatory. Sorry about that. Yes, americans feel the brunt of german server lag.

I do recall that I connected to a more local server in a different area of the world, a few monthes ago. But I could've been mistaken I suppose. It was a pretty sweet lag time though, so I doubt that. Wonder what happened to that good old server... sigh. Maybe it's because I play early early morning all the time. :D
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

Gogora wrote:I got a link explaining "lag". http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lag
I do indeed know what lag means, thanks. What wasn't clear was what you find self-explanatory.. but I can guess that now.
Gogora wrote:I do recall that I connected to a more local server in a different area of the world, a few monthes ago. But I could've been mistaken I suppose.
The only alternate server we have is in France.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
schedal

Post by schedal »

I'm also getting more and more games where the game stops midway and I get the error
"game can not continue, do you wish to save?"
"server not found/can't ping server for ±66 seconds"

i didn't used to get this error, now i get it every 2 or 3 games! that's quite frequent. I've also encountered the error when both myself and my opponent were playing each other via the official server from Amsterdam [so that's pretty close to Germany in terms of network hops].

Is this a general known hick-up in the server as of late? Or is there some kind of local issue going on in my network? No ping for 60 seconds is pretty bad lag!

Thanks,

Sebastian.
suvorov

Post by suvorov »

[quote="schedal"]I'm also getting more and more games where the game stops midway and I get the error
"game can not continue, do you wish to save?"
"server not found/can't ping server for ±66 seconds"

I get the same error/message. Today it happened in the middle of a game and then I could not log back into the server.... in fact im writing this because I can't get back onto the multiplayer dev server. I played all day and suddenly it just went out on me.

I guesss I ll keep trying.
It is good that war is terrible, lest we grow too fond.

-Robert E. Lee