...ping... you're disconnected...

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Krimzon

...ping... you're disconnected...

Post by Krimzon »

Please, remove this annoying feature :( my wi-fi connection is unstable and the connection strength fluctuates. I get constantly disconnected from games every 5 minutes... is it really needed?

"No server ping since at least 30 seconds. Connection timed out."
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Well, actually there are people who like it, otherwise it wouldn't be implemented. Me for example. Sorry, but your unstable connection is not our fault and 30sec is quite long time for the response.
It's good to understand it's not just about you, there are also others who must wait for you and they may not like it, so this to protect them.

On the other hand there might be some problems with this feature and in such case they should be fixed sooner or later, I don't know if it's just your wifi.
If it's all a dream, now wake me up. If it's all real, just kill me.
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

My wi-fi is unstable but actually reconnects and updates however cannot do so in time... it's not just me who does not like this feature otherwise I would not have brought it to attention.

It would be a shame not being able to carry on playing the game because of this. I do not really see the benefit of it, I mean... are people really that inpatient?
paris

Post by paris »

well i have the same problem and 30sec is not enough sometimes...
u could add more time..
i dont think it would be problem with other players
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

No problems here so far (an Atheros WLAN card, using GNU/Linux - openSUSE 10.3 + ndiswrapper 1.47).
Author of the unofficial UtBS sequels Invasion from the Unknown and After the Storm.
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Well, it's not just me who like it because I haven't coded it, following your logic. And I would guess there is more of those who like it or who don't mind than opposite.

Anyway, 30s are ages in network business. I guess nobody would be really hurted if it should be 60s, but without this feature it could be also 10 or 20 minutes before others realise you are really out and kick you. And that hurts.
So to sum it, it's not annoying feature but useful one and we can just argue about how long it should be (and mb we should ask how hard is to change it). While I'm willing to wait 60s instead of 30s, I would be against 5m of waiting just to ensure everyone will be able to restart all his network components to continue his game.

And to be blunt, imho you shouldn't even play if you have serious network problems every 5 minutes, in some smaller games it must be quite annoying for others and it's hardly pleasure in bigger ones too. But that's just me.
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

Well, tbh... if you're stupid enough to wait around for 10, or 5 minutes then it's your problem :)

Reconnecting takes 30 or more seconds so players wont even notice I have disconnected... (it would be seen as 'lag') I can do so without leaving or interfering with the game however sometimes it does take longer due to other circumstances or even noticing I have disconnected.

The feature even kicks me when my network signal is telling me I am still connected. 60 seconds will likely solve the problem.

Paris is one of many that experience the same problem and so despite your view, believe it or not, I am mentioning this in the best interest of other players - not just myself.
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

I know a few people (including me) who are stupid enought to wait even 15 minutes for a friend, because he may just have some urgent phone or so. Actually some people are quite patient when they wait for a friend, thought most likely they are not so patient to wait 5 minutes for timeout if it's not necessary.
Krimzon wrote:Reconnecting takes 30 or more seconds so players wont even notice I have disconnected... (it would be seen as 'lag') I can do so without leaving or interfering with the game however sometimes it does take longer due to other circumstances or even noticing I have disconnected.
There is no problem with those 30 seconds. There is problem with that "more". Actually it's irony you said it quite well - you may not even notice it. And often long lags are also annoying for others.

Network signals often lie, or more precise signal is just a part of it. You may not be really connected. Otherwise it's a bug which must be fixed as I said.
Krimzon wrote:... believe it or not, I am mentioning this in the best interest of other players - not just myself.
Nice cliche, believe it or not but I wouldn't bet on it. I'm doing it for myself, because noone else asked me ^-^
Soliton
Site Administrator

Post by Soliton »

I'm planning to make the timeout time configurable. I already tried to implement that but it seemed to bring a lot of unnecessary dependencies for wesnothd which uses the same network layer. I'll raise the timeout to 60s for now.
"If gameplay requires it, they can be made to live on Venus." -- scott
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

Haibane, seriously... the argument you are trying to present is pointless and has no effect to my current situation. I have posted in this forum for I, and many others have a problem with this feature so to you even post here is a waste of my time to read... and as for trying to pick out non existant double meanings in my posts, is quite laughable.

Lags are not half as annoying as being kicked from a game, then reconnecting and going through a replay again in which players would have to wait much, much longer only to be kicked again. I am currently in a game now in which myself, and Chosen1 and prum has been removed from the game one after the other.

My advice to you is to spend less time spamming this thread and actually asking around in the game lobby and as for the waiting, I am glad I have not encountered you in one of my games :) you're saying you would wait 15 mins? but then disagree to wait not even a minute due to lag? I don't see how you even have a valid point.

Thank you Soliton, that would be helpful.
Teh_Chosen1

Post by Teh_Chosen1 »

Uhhh... This really suck -.-'

I dissconnect in every 5 minutes. And when survival is in turn 20 it is very annoyning. Pls, fix the thing!
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

Also, could someone please tell me what this error means?

"Illegal index to add child at."
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Well, not like you understand anything I said Krimzon (might be even my fault), but sorry I'm not willing to explain it, as I don't like your attitude and I don't want to waste my effort anymore.

Anyway, I hope you will be successful with configurable timeout Soliton, that's more than I hoped for and it will solve problem for all of us.
I guess there will be same timeout for all players in one game, so probably host's timeout should be used for all ... right ? Or do you plan it like game option ?
Krimzon

Post by Krimzon »

:lol: MY attitude? oh dear :(
Haibane

Post by Haibane »

Krimzon wrote::lol: MY attitude? oh dear :(
Of course. If I should dislike my attitude, I would be rather quiet. Feel free to do it instead of me, I haven't said who has better (worse) attitude and I'm not going to judge it.

Btw I believe it's pointless to continue, as problem should be solved in a way which is acceptable for both sides.