Why isn't sound working

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
c0rrupt_gamer

Why isn't sound working

Post by c0rrupt_gamer »

Hi.

When I start playing this game, the sound is over, I look in 'preferences' and it seems to be disabled (music too), but I can't enable them, when I try it, the console shows me the next error:

Code: Select all

error audio: Could not initialize audio: No available audio device 
But I can play music with others programs without problems (I'm used to listen Rhapsody while playing, but I'd like to listen the game music and the sound effects).

Anyone has any idea of what is happening to me?

ps: My sound card is an intel 82801DB-ICH4 ( I think). I use Debian GNU/Linux.
ps: I'm using the 1.2.2 version of Wesnoth.
taro
Inactive Developer

Re: Why isn't sound working

Post by taro »

c0rrupt_gamer wrote:

Code: Select all

error audio: Could not initialize audio: No available audio device 
Do you have any other program running which uses the sound device? Try to close all other programs which are able to play sound.
If this does not help you also can try to use the Debian package of wesnoth with version 1.2. There seems to have changed something to the worse with sound in version 1.2.1 and 1.2.2 (though not disabling it at all for me).
isaac
Inactive Developer

Post by isaac »

Maybe your wesnoth is trying to use OSS when you only have ALSA support enabled or the other way around.

Check which SDL packages you have installed.

There are libsdl1.2debian-alsa and libsdl1.2debian-oss, install the right one for your system or enable both sound subsystems (for example, if you have ALSA already working you can load the snd-pcm-oss and snd-mixer-oss kernel modules to get OSS emulation).

Good luck!
c0rrupt_gamer

Post by c0rrupt_gamer »

thanks to every one to reply.

Isaac, it seems that you were right, I loaded the OSS sound modules with modprobe and it worked perfectly.

Thanks.