Wesnoth 1.1.13 (windows) crashing mid-game.

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

and after I posted it, I played from the savegame, and it did not crash.

*sigh* it is highly random. The AI only needs to make one move different, like one hex shorter, or to the other side, or move its units in a different order, and it won't crash...
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

has anyone tried grepping the png files for 'profile' yet?
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Sapient wrote:has anyone tried grepping the png files for 'profile' yet?
I thought that problem was limited to Windows or not?

I can't reproduce the crash with the posted savegame :(
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

So far energyman is the only non-Windows user reporting the issue. He may be experiencing a different problem.
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/User:Sapient... "Looks like your skills saved us again. Uh, well at least, they saved Soarin's apple pie."
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Maybe not related to this post, but i try. I have 1.1.13 (1.2 Branch) on a Linux computer. When i try to play the campaign Volcano Island it simply crashes (segfault) shortly after the start. I am able to build up my army of nagas and then *boom*. :D
  • Battle for Wesnoth v1.1.13
    Started on Fri Dec 8 00:39:03 2006

started game: 1598605887
    Checking video mode: 1024x768x32...
    setting mode to 1024x768x32
    set locale to de_DE.utf8
    set locale to de_DE.utf8
    found valid cache at '/home/stefan/.wesnoth/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.1.13-MEDIUM-NORMAL' using it
    no location found for 'data/campaigns/Descent/translations', not adding textdomain
    no location found for 'data/campaigns/Volcano_Island/translations', not adding textdomain
    loadscreen: filesystem counter = 148
    loadscreen: binarywml counter = 11463
    loadscreen: setconfig counter = 221
    loadscreen: parser counter = 202
    started music
    showing title screen...
    Loading tips of day
    title screen returned result
    error display: could not open image 'portraits/core/Alex_Jarocha-Ernst/merman-hunter.png'
    no valid cache found. Writing cache to '/home/stefan/.wesnoth/cache/game.cfg-cache-v1.1.13-CAMPAIGN_VOLCANO-MEDIUM-NORMAL'
    error config: Error: invalid string
    error config: unit d-Naga uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: unit Deep Magus uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: unit Naga Spellwarrior uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: unit Naga Spellwarrior uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: unit Naga Warrior Mage uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: unit Naga Warrior Mage uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: unit Nagini Shaman uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: unit Nagini Witch uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: Invalid alignment found for Nagini Shaman: ''
    error config: Invalid alignment found for Nagini Witch: ''
    error config: Invalid alignment found for Deep magus: ''
    error config: unit d-Naga uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: unit Deep Magus uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: unit Nagini Shaman uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: unit Nagini Witch uses an image_defensive tag, which is deprecated
    error config: the animation for water sprayin unit Nagini Shaman is directly in the attack, please use [animation]
    error config: an animation uses the deprecated [sound] tag, please include sound in the [frame] tag
    error config: an animation uses the deprecated [sound] tag, please include sound in the [frame] tag
    error config: [attack] uses special=magical, which is now deprecated. Use the macros provided in abilities.cfg.
    error config: the animation for freezein unit Nagini Shaman is directly in the attack, please use [animation]
    error config: [attack] uses special=slow, which is now deprecated. Use the macros provided in abilities.cfg.
    error display: could not open image ''
    Segmentation fault
    stefan@cipy:~$
Thats it. I have done this two times, so it is reproduceable . I like to get your feedback before i file a bugreport.

greets
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

if you could post a stacktrace that would be a lot more helpful than the error.txt
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

I dont have a backtrace. Tried to make one, but failed.
SkeletonCrew
Inactive Developer

Post by SkeletonCrew »

Could you post a savegame and the way to reproduce the crash, then I'll take a look at it tonight.
elricz

Post by elricz »

Sapient wrote:has anyone tried grepping the png files for 'profile' yet?
I have found the following pngs with the word profile in them:

Code: Select all

bridge-joint-n-se-sw.png
bridge-joint-n-se.png
bridge-joint-n-sw.png
bridge-joint-ne-nw.png
bridge-joint-ne-s-nw.png
bridge-joint-ne-s.png
bridge-joint-s-nw.png
bridge-joint-se-sw.png
cavewall-concave-e.png
cavewall-concave-ne.png
cavewall-concave-nw.png
cavewall-concave-se.png
cavewall-concave-sw.png
cavewall-concave-w.png
cavewall-convex-e.png
cavewall-convex-ne.png
cavewall-convex-nw.png
cavewall-convex-se.png
cavewall-convex-sw.png
cavewall-convex-w.png
chasm-convex.png
chasm-exploded-concave.png
grassland-flowers1.png
grassland-flowers2.png
grassland-n-ne-se.png
grassland-n-ne.png
grassland-ne-se-s.png
grassland-ne-se.png
grassland-nw-n-ne.png
grassland-nw-n.png
grassland-r4.png
grassland-s-sw.png
grassland-se-s-sw.png
grassland-se-s.png
grassland-sw-nw-n.png
grassland-sw-nw.png
holy-water.png
lava3.png
lighthouse.png
potion-blue.png
potion-grey.png
potion-red.png
potion-yellow.png
rock4.png
sand-rock1.png
sand-rock2.png
sand-rock3.png
savanna-n-ne-se.png
savanna-n-ne.png
savanna-ne-se.png
savanna-ne.png
savanna-nw-n-ne.png
savanna-nw-n.png
savanna-s.png
savanna-se-s-sw.png
savanna-se.png
savanna-sw-nw-n.png
savanna-sw-nw.png
savanna-sw.png
savanna2.png
savanna3.png
transport-galleon.png
trapdoor.png
Sorry for not posting the paths, I copied all them to a common folder to make the script, I am not too good with the shell (yet!)
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

thanks, elricz. The next step is for someone to convert -strip those images with imageMagik and then post a patch file for Windows users.
elricz

Post by elricz »

Sapient wrote:thanks, elricz. The next step is for someone to convert -strip those images with imageMagik and then post a patch file for Windows users.
I have done it, the zip file contains a folder called images with the offending images in the proper subfolders, converted with ImageMagik. Just unzipping and copying over the images folder should do the trick.
Attachments
images.zip
Images striped out of comments
(407.23 KiB) Downloaded 4679 times
ivanovic
Lord of Translations

Post by ivanovic »

As reference for the next time, there are the commands I did just run to find all the png images with a profile key in them. Afterwards I did strip exaclty these files. Here are the commands:

Code: Select all

find . -name '*.png' -exec grep -li profil {} \; > images_to_convert
for i in `cat images_to_convert`; do convert -strip $i $i; done
svn ci
rm images_to_convert
I'll probably put this into a simple bash script that can be run shortly before releases.

EDIT:
I did just commit a the script utils/strip_image_profiles.sh so that it is easy to remove these profiles next time.
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

SkeletonCrew wrote:Could you post a savegame and the way to reproduce the crash, then I'll take a look at it tonight.
Sorry, i have no Savegame, because it crashes right at the start of that game. As i described above, i am able to put nagas in my keep, then the other parties do it themselves and then it crashes.
Can it be that this is responsible for that?:

error config: Invalid alignment found for Nagini Shaman: ''
error config: Invalid alignment found for Nagini Witch: ''
error config: Invalid alignment found for Deep magus: ''
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

It looks that the definition of those naga have some errors inside and use a lot of depreciated WML... Perhaps this weird WML is responsible of the crash ?
"Ooh, man, my mage had a 30% chance to miss, but he still managed to hit! Awesome!" ;) -- xtifr
Sapient
Inactive Developer

Post by Sapient »

elricz wrote:
Sapient wrote:thanks, elricz. The next step is for someone to convert -strip those images with imageMagik and then post a patch file for Windows users.
I have done it, the zip file contains a folder called images with the offending images in the proper subfolders, converted with ImageMagik. Just unzipping and copying over the images folder should do the trick.
Thanks elricz and ivanovic. The next step is for Windows users to try the patch and see if they still get crashes while starting/playing games.