Opening Port 14999, UDP or TCP?

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
MSTCrow5429

Opening Port 14999, UDP or TCP?

Post by MSTCrow5429 »

The multiplayer FAQ at http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/FAQ#How_do_ ... irewall.3F states that one should open up port 14999 on their firewall for Wesnoth multiplayer games. Is this port a UDP or TCP port? Thanks.
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

TCP
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

Simply open the port. We do the rest.

The question is wrong,not the answer.
xtifr

Post by xtifr »

vonHalenbach wrote:Simply open the port. We do the rest.
He was asking which port! Saying "simply open the port" is not responsive! TCP and UDP ports have the same numbers and can be opened separately. Yes, he could have opened both (and some particularly brain-dead systems may not allow you to even make the distinction), but it was still a reasonable (and interesting) question. He may even be dealing with a paranoid admin who isn't willing to open any more ports than necessary, in which case, he would need the question answered. (I've certainly dealt with admins like that before.)
vonHalenbach (in very small letters) wrote: The question is wrong,not the answer.
No, the question was NOT wrong! One could argue that with only two ports numbered 14999, he could have arrived at the answer fairly quickly through trial and error, but this way, the answer is documented in the forum for all to see. I didn't know the answer and now I do, and I'm thankful to both MSTC and Tomsik for that. (Although I admit that I probably would have simply opened both if it had ever come up.)

Note that while TCP ports are used by the majority of Internet services, UDP ports (which are faster but less reliable) are frequently used by games, so the question was very reasonable.
"When a man is tired of Ankh-Morpork, he is tired of ankle-deep slurry" -- Catroaster

Legal, free live music: Surf Coasters at Double Down Saloon, Las Vegas on 2005-03-06. Tight, high-energy Japanese Surf-Rock.
troodon

Post by troodon »

I have DSL. I use SuSE Linux. When I try to publish my add on, I get an error that says "network communications error." I know the problem is with my computer settings. Is there a port that should be opened?
Tomsik

Post by Tomsik »

I think you should open 15001 or 15002, I'm not sure though. :?
troodon

Post by troodon »

I'm stupid. How do I find and identify a port?
vonHalenbach
Translator

Post by vonHalenbach »

troodon wrote: How do I find and identify a port?
You probably mean, how to open a port to the internet. It can be changed in your "firewall" settings. I don't know suse-Linux, so i can't say exactly how you can do that. Is there a firewall setting in "Yast" ?
troodon

Post by troodon »

I tried to disable the firewall, but that didn't work. I cannot upload my campaign. When I try to, I get the message: "Network communication error." I can download campaigns fine, though. Do you use SuSE Linux too?