Crash in Bay of Pearls

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Crash in Bay of Pearls

Post by Ranger M »

When I move to collect the trident with one of my mermen fighters the game quits.

Because this happened automatically at the start of my turn I was able to recreate this exactly, and got this error when I started wesnoth from a konsole and loaded the save:

Code: Select all

scenario: '04_The_Bay_of_Pearls'
error display: could not open image ''
Segmentation fault
attached is the save so you can see it happening for yourself. It looks like an image is missing, and I can't seem to find the storm trident image anywhere (I did a searchin my share/wesnoth directory), or the macro which adds it into the scenario (I can find it in 04_Bay_of_Pearls.cfg, but not in httt_utils.cfg, which is where I would have thought that it would be), its almost as if it wasn't included in 1.1.9 for some reason
scott

Post by scott »

A missing image never caused an error in the past, though this may have changed recently. The macro is in items.cfg. Does it happen every time?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Now that you mention...I got this pretty consistently a while back, but completely forgot to report it.

EDIT: I remember looking for the trident macro for a long time...it's in data/items.cfg. The WML, however, looks fine to me (I changed the animation for it not so long ago).
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

scott wrote:A missing image never caused an error in the past, though this may have changed recently. The macro is in items.cfg. Does it happen every time?
Yes, it happens every time that I load the save that I was going to attach, but forgot (I've attached it to this post though)
zookeeper wrote:Now that you mention...I got this pretty consistently a while back, but completely forgot to report it.

EDIT: I remember looking for the trident macro for a long time...it's in data/items.cfg. The WML, however, looks fine to me (I changed the animation for it not so long ago).
Yeah, now that I've checked it it does look fine.

It could be a specific problem with the save, I'll try loading an earlier one and moving onto it.

EDIT: although the most recent time that I tried it only mentioned the segmentation fault in the konsole, not the image problem.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ranger M wrote:Yeah, now that I've checked it it does look fine.

It could be a specific problem with the save, I'll try loading an earlier one and moving onto it.
I doubt it, since at least I can reproduce it. I guess one could try to isolate what exactly in the event or item WML triggers the crash...
Ranger M
Art Contributor

Post by Ranger M »

zookeeper wrote:I doubt it, since at least I can reproduce it. I guess one could try to isolate what exactly in the event or item WML triggers the crash...
moving one of the mermen onto the storm trident causes it, but I don't get any other messages when running from the command line apart form the things that I mentioned before (although the segmentation fault always occurs, the image problem doesn't)
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ranger M wrote:moving one of the mermen onto the storm trident causes it, but I don't get any other messages when running from the command line apart form the things that I mentioned before (although the segmentation fault always occurs, the image problem doesn't)
There's basically always (I think it happens when you open the attack dialog or something similar that you always do) at least one of those image "errors" in stderr - it's normal and harmless, it's some silly code bug and probably isn't related at all to the trident crash.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Ok, I think I have pinpointed what causes the crash: it's the [animation] block inside the [effect]. I guess this no longer works, since some time ago things were changed so that single/stored units don't carry copies of the animation WML with them anymore - maybe this causes a crash when trying to add an [animation] to the [attack]. Anyway, no matter how it works exactly it still seems to be linked to putting the new attack [animation] inside the [effect] (however, that's the only place where it can be put...).
namelessone

this probably doesn't help, but...

Post by namelessone »

I just downloaded and compiled the latest version, 1.1.9, and had sort of the same problem with the Bay of Pearls level.

Oddly enough, though, the first time it crashed it did not crash until after I had finished the mission and selected the "go by sea" branch of the campaign.

I started everything back up, and I was unable to load any of my autosaves without the game crashing on me with the error

Code: Select all

Segmentation Fault
I tried loading from the beginning of the level instead from the autosaves, and it worked fine until I picked up the trident, at which point it crashed with the error aforementioned in this thread.
savagust

Post by savagust »

I have this problem,too :(

lockewolf

Post by lockewolf »

Likewise, I have run into the same thing. I have been digging into the code and the WML config files as deep as I can. I thought I might of had the problem licked with a simple add some quotes to the filename issue, but alas, still crashing after grabbing a hold of the storm-trident.

I even went as far as to change the trident into a blue ball, hoping that by making it difficult to find it might solve the crashing problem. :D

Anywho, 'zookeeper' is definitely on the right course. It's must be something with the [animation] block inside the [effect]. There are no other objects in the game that I could find, with an animation within an effect. It's got to be a WML dealio.

Pretty deep in vodka, so I'll continue to pick and prod at this trident/blue ball beast tomorrow with my bro. :D
Oreb

Post by Oreb »

I had this problem as well, since I have a Mac it just quits and say's the whole this unexpectedly quit, would you like to report this to apple.
I am Oreb, Lord of the Darthien
Give your comments to the World of Orbivm
zathras

Post by zathras »

Oreb wrote:I had this problem as well, since I have a Mac it just quits and say's the whole this unexpectedly quit, would you like to report this to apple.
Same here - precompiled OSX in ver 1.1.9

Also same bug picking up the trident in RoW - Peoples in Decline

Tridents apparently more dangerous than they used to be
podunk

Post by podunk »

I cheated for this – I played this scene in 1.1.8 then went back to 1.1.9. :-) I wonder if it does the same thing with the scepter and magic armor?
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

podunk wrote:I wonder if it does the same thing with the scepter and magic armor?
Scepter and the armour shouldn't crash, just the storm tridents.