Crashes on Launch under OS X

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
barefootguru

Crashes on Launch under OS X

Post by barefootguru »

Hi people,

I've broken my install of Wesnoth. It was running on both our machines, but broke when I copied files from one to the other.

I've since reinstalled it on the affected machine from a fresh download. It runs for my admin account but not my kid's standard account.

I've moved his Wesnoth folder in Library/Preferences out the way. I've allowed him write access to the Wesnoth folder in Applications -- still no joy.

On launch it bounces a couple of times, then nothing. Crash log shows:

Code: Select all

Host Name:      Sulley
Date/Time:      2006-08-04 15:39:00.071 +1200
OS Version:     10.4.7 (Build 8J135)
Report Version: 4

Command: Battle For Wesnoth
Path:    /Applications/Games/Battle for Wesnoth/Battle For Wesnoth.app/Contents/MacOS/Battle For Wesnoth
Parent:  WindowServer [101]

Version: 1.0.2 (1.0.2)

PID:    8471
Thread: Unknown

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
  Referenced from: /Applications/Games/Battle for Wesnoth/Battle For Wesnoth.app/Contents/MacOS/Battle For Wesnoth
  Reason: image not found
I can open Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL in TextWrangler in his account fine.

The editor does work.

Help appreciated. Please :(
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

You may already be aware of this, and it may be a complete red herring, but do you have any other problems? - I notice you have updated to 10.4.7, and there have been a LOT of problems with this security fix.

If that is the problem, be advised that there is no simple solution yet...
...other than a Tiger CD 'archive and install'...
barefootguru

Post by barefootguru »

Star Gazer wrote:You may already be aware of this, and it may be a complete red herring, but do you have any other problems? - I notice you have updated to 10.4.7, and there have been a LOT of problems with this security fix.
I think you're right--that is a red herring :wink:

Wesnoth has been good under 10.4.7 for 3 weeks, and I haven't applied the latest security update yet (2006-004).

Wesnoth also worked fine right up until I copied Wesnoth files between the two machines.

Thanks anyway, more ideas welcome...
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

OK, just a thought. Probably a good job it wasn't that - it's giving a lot of people grief!

So... somewhere a file has ended up in the wrong place, or isn't where it expects it to be. Did you try reassigning his account as having admin priviledges, and try it to see if Wesnoth launched then?

When you say you've moved his folder 'out of the way' did you trash it? - OSX has a nasty habit of knowing exactly where something has gone - unlike Windows! If it's somewhere obscure it can get confused, although that is unusual with a Mac.

If you trash it, it can ignore it, and you can always get it back if you don't empty the trash. That should force it to make a new Wesnoth folder, then you should be able to retrieve any 'save' games from the trash.
barefootguru

Post by barefootguru »

Star Gazer wrote:So... somewhere a file has ended up in the wrong place, or isn't where it expects it to be. Did you try reassigning his account as having admin priviledges, and try it to see if Wesnoth launched then?

When you say you've moved his folder 'out of the way' did you trash it?
OK, I've tried making him into an admin account. I've moved and zipped the original Wesnoth preferences folder, and rm'd the original. I've repaired permissions.

Edit: Also re-applied the 10.4.7 combo updater.

It still works for my user ID and not his. Argh!

Edit: Also fails for a new user account.
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

Hhhmmm, that's very strange. It's a bit late now, but I'll have a think about it.
barefootguru

Post by barefootguru »

Star Gazer wrote:Hhhmmm, that's very strange. It's a bit late now, but I'll have a think about it.
1.1.8's broken too, so if you have no further thoughts I'll get a bug report together...
scott

Post by scott »

I have had this problem trying to run certain games from user accounts (Marble Blast Gold, namely). I never could get around the problem. I wonder if you could do a wider search for this problem in the context of other games.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
barefootguru

Post by barefootguru »

scott wrote:I have had this problem trying to run certain games from user accounts (Marble Blast Gold, namely). I never could get around the problem. I wonder if you could do a wider search for this problem in the context of other games.
I did do a search, but while others have the error, each fix seems to be different.

However the local Mac gurus found it:

The SDL package had permissions of -rwx--x--x
So a quick

chmod g+r /Applications/Games/Battle\ for\ Wesnoth/Battle\ For\ Wesnoth.app/Contents/Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
Fixed it.

I've just checked the 1.0.2 disk image, and that's how it appears there.

Thanks for your time guys.
Star Gazer

Post by Star Gazer »

...that was it...? :shock: ...gurgle... :? ...how bizarre... :roll:

...still, excellent; that's one to tuck away in the reference file!
rfiebiger

Post by rfiebiger »

Hello barefootguru,

which user must be announced, around the command "chmod g+r ..." to implement - Admin or users that can't play the game?

Thanks
barefootguru

Post by barefootguru »

rfiebiger wrote:which user must be announced, around the command "chmod g+r ..." to implement - Admin or users that can't play the game?
Oh, good point. The group is our 'family' one, so everyone who uses the computer. chmod o+r would probably be better.

Cheers