SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
cfeedback

Re: SLOW Performance Issues: post here to Help

Post by cfeedback »

Hrm, been playing some Wesnoth again after a long hiatus and happened to glance at this thread. The slowdown I'm having is after finishing a scenario (playing Rise of Wesnoth now) and clicking end scenario, it seems to take an excessively long time given my PC specs (30+ seconds) before the loading bar pops up.

Wesnoth 1.5.12
Windows XP w/SP3
4 GB 1600mhz DD3 RAM
Q9550 @ 3.2ghz
RAID 0 HD setup
Aldrel

Post by Aldrel »

I downloaded the stable version before the change to 1.6 ( i think it was 1.4.7) and the game run smoothly.
Yesterday I switched to 1.6 and the game slows a lot during gameplay, specially when the damage "red numbers" appear over units, and when I click over a unit to see it's movement range.
I turned off all the special grapphic features, but still i get a slowed and sloppy game.

The Pc I use has:
Intel celeron CPu of 2.5 ghz
1,25 gb of Ram
Windows Xp/sp3
paris

Post by paris »

i had exactly the same problems with Aldrel
CPU usage hits 66-70% ingame and lags as hell:/
i also experienced CPU overheat and pc just closed,while i was playing World Conquest multiplayer campaign.
so i turned off Haloing effects and unit animation...a bit better but cpu still hits 50% ingame..
i compiled 1,6a (./configure,make,make install)
never had these problems while i was running 1.4

Intel core duo @ 1.74 ghz
1 gb of Ram
Ubuntu 8.10
Spookyspider

Post by Spookyspider »

Yeah I have the same problem as stated above :roll:

windows xp
1gb ram
2,5 ghz
"I don't read scripts - scripts read me"
grrr

Post by grrr »

I currently run Wesnoth from a tmpfs-mounted directory, which results in 8% cpu usage, as compared to the 30% it had before. Both --config-dir and data-dir can be set from cmd line when starting Wesnoth, so apart from copying Wesnoth to a tmpfs everytime I am pretty happy with that setup now. BTW, this may indicate that Wesnoth's current performance issues are indeed based on poor I/O behaviour.
Boucman
Inactive Developer

Post by Boucman »

there have been various perf-related changes, and we would be interested to know if they solve your problem or if there is more work to do.

anybody with that problem and able to compile should try to recompile the head of the 1.6 branch, both with and without the patch athttps://gna.org/patch/?1141

that last patch hasn't been commited yet, due to limited feedback wrt its effectiveness

so we are VERY interested in any changes that can be linked to that patch

please report any improvement, both between 1.6a and head and betweed head and head+patch

thanks a lot
Fight key loggers: write some perl using vim
Gambit
Loose Screw

Post by Gambit »

Online with shroud and fog enabled the game freezes for many minutes when switching sides (it has to redraw the fog and shroud?)

Could just be my crudish computer:

512mb ram
1.5ghz processor
and only 256kbps dsl -_- (that last part is especialy lame)

The only thing thats funny (And by funny I mean the only evidence that it isnt just me) is that others freeze for the amount of time and we all come out of the lag togethor
BeRzErKeR

Post by BeRzErKeR »

Ok, I've been playing various versions of Wesnoth for a few years now. They've all worked fine, no lag or anything, even in multiplayer.

Currently I have two versions installed; 1.6 and 1.43. This is because 1.6 lags like hell. I don't know why; playing around with the preferences doesn't do anything. 1.43 still runs perfectly, but I'd like to play 1.6; it's just really annoying right now, with the lag.

Comp; Windows XP, 256 megs RAM, 2.2 ghz processor

When 1.6 runs scrolling is jerky, map redraws obviously (line runs down the screen), and combat animations are slow. The game occasionally freezes momentarily, and then skips ahead. Load times are longer than usual.

When 1.43 runs I have none of these problems. What's happening?
And when he gets to heaven
To Saint Peter he will tell,
"One more Marine reporting sir,
I've served my time in hell."
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

BeRzErKeR wrote:What's happening?
So many people are having this problem, its not even funny. The developers already know about this by now (HOPEFULLY, seeing as many people are compaining about it) and are (HOPEFULLY) working on it...

But I am no dev, so I am not sure. :)
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
Death

Post by Death »

Mac OSX 10.4.11
iMac G4
Wesnoth 1.6

Just fired up one of the old mainline campaigns in 1.6 to find out that the new AI is painfully slow. I have accel speed maxed, unit animations off, and skip ai moves checked, yet every AI turn takes way too damn long. This is ESPECIALLY true for maps with zombies (aka maps w/ units that have the option to sui-attack).

Maybe 1.4 didn't have the smartest AI, but I'd rather try to beat 100 stupid units than 10 zombies controlled by Deep Blue. Please fix, I actually kinda enjoyed the Wesnoth campaigns before now.
DEATH_is_undead

Post by DEATH_is_undead »

Death wrote: Just fired up one of the old mainline campaigns in 1.6 to find out that the new AI is painfully slow. I have accel speed maxed, unit animations off, and skip ai moves checked, yet every AI turn takes way too damn long. This is ESPECIALLY true for maps with zombies (aka maps w/ units that have the option to sui-attack).
If you look the slightest amount for this, you shall find it. Everyone I've talked to has complained about this, including myself. Its a bug in the game.
3P MP Scenario - Great Dwarves Escape
The best way to learn is to follow. In order to learn WML, you have to follow other's work, and check their codes.
intellimouse

Windows XP Locale Language registry calls - infinite loop?

Post by intellimouse »

Hi and thanks for such an awesome game!

I have installed the official precompiled Win32 1.6.1 onto Windows XP SP3 as a limited user, into my user dir's Application Data folder.

I have several fairly serious performance issues during the Tutorial and Campaign mode, eg:
- AI's turn is very slow, took about 3 minutes at the beginning of the first Scenario of the Two Brothers campaign
- move animation is very slow for horsemen (eg 2 seconds between each hex) even though I've switched off all animation options
- there is a 2 second pause before a unit moves
- there is a 13 second pause between a mage summoning a quintain, and the quintain appearing
- on the scenario load screen, it can be Initialising teams for minutes. After the load screen goes blank, it can take a minute for the game to be displayed
- It wouldn't load saved games - the screen goes blank before it would get to Initialising teams, and stops responding.
- my CPU was running on 50% most of the time, which is way more than what I expected.

My machine is a Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz with 2GiB RAM and a fairly quick HDD. I've got plenty of free memory and no rubbish is running. I use Kaspersky AntiVirus, which is one if the quicker ones.

So I fired up SysInterals Process Monitor to see what Wesnoth.exe was up to.
During every single one of my performance problems (both in-game and on the loading screen), the same thing was happening - Wesnoth was busy with a few Language related registry keys.
It looked like it was stuck in an infinite loop - when it wasn't retrieving pngs and oggs, it was repeating the same registry lookup pattern involving the following keys:
1. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Locale
2. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Locale\00000409
3. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Locale\00000809
4. HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language Groups\1 (to 6)
(BTW all these registry retrievals returned SUCCESS.)

I am not familiar with BfW's arhitecture so I didn't go on amending config files or anything. Do you think there is a setting somewhere that triggers this behavior? If so then I can try disabling that and see what happens.

I hope I have provided just enough information. My stderr.txt is 12 megs and my internet connection is playing up, the upload to filebins.ca failed 3 times now. Please let me know whether need it and I will try uploading again.
loonycyborg
Windows Packager

Re: Windows XP Locale Language registry calls - infinite loop?

Post by loonycyborg »

intellimouse wrote: I hope I have provided just enough information. My stderr.txt is 12 megs and my internet connection is playing up, the upload to filebins.ca failed 3 times now. Please let me know whether need it and I will try uploading again.
Unless you run wesnoth with --log-debug=all 12 megs stderr.txt sounds suspicious. You can upload the last 100 lines of it or so if 12Mb is hard to upload. Perhaps they'll contain something useful.
If you're using --log-debug=all, you could try using --log-debug=general instead. This should still catch debug info related to locales but yield smaller stderr.txt
"meh." - zookeeper
intellimouse

Post by intellimouse »

Thanks loonycyborg,

yes I used --log-debug=all, as per Mist's instructions here: http://www.wesnoth.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20144

I have now ran it with --log-debug=general

Full locale: LC_COLLATE=English_United Kingdom.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=English_United States.1252;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

I've checked my locale in windows control panel, and language, formats and location are all set to English (United Kingdom).
Attachments
stderr.txt
intellimouse's locale loop log
(7.96 KiB) Downloaded 496 times
intellimouse

Looping through windows locale registry

Post by intellimouse »

Hi, not sure whether this helps but here it is anyway.

I've installed BfW onto my Windows 7 partition, and it works like a dream without any performance issues.
I ran Process Monitor to see whether Wesnoth is still looping through Locale registry keys, and it is. In fact, it is looping through even more language groups than it was under XP. (It looks like Win7 has more groups in HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Nls\Language Groups\ than XP.)
I've produced a stderr.txt on Win7 for comparison (I carried out the same steps in Wesnoth as on my XP installation).
Attachments
win7-stderr.txt
(13.66 KiB) Downloaded 529 times