SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
beetlenaut
Developer

Re: SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Post by beetlenaut »

a developer wrote:If you can reproduce it while running from gdb, then you can kill it with ctrl+c in the gdb terminal, then run "bt" to get a backtrace from the spot where you interrupted it. I think you can also do "continue" to continue execution, so with a few backtraces you can get a good idea what the loop is.
You may have to install gdb like I did, but I found it easy enough to use. I traced my problem to SDL this way.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
nuorc
Forum Regular

Post by nuorc »

I don't know about Linux versions, but I'd probably try the 1.12.1 version just because.
I have a cunning plan.
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Actually when I move my scouts their movements get Jerky, while when I play with the previous versions of BFW (1.8 and 1.10) it works perfectly and "unit runnings" are very smooth.

System I tried WinXp and Win7.
Cpu 1.6 Ghz First system
Cpu 1,6 Ghz dual core second system.
Integrated intel graphics card.
Ram 1 Gb on first system 2Gb on second system.
Beholded Wesnoth's Origins.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

Sorry for the double post, but I discovered that disabling the fog helps a lot for the jerky cavalry movement, I just wonder why in version 1.10 series of the game the movements are smooth.
What was changed btw 1.10 and 1.12 series that caused this decrease in animation performance, especially with cavalry.
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
gfgtdf
Developer

Post by gfgtdf »

@Yomar

What you could test is turning the minimap off, that means toggeling 'Draw Terrain' and 'Draw Villages' off (the buttons below the minimap)
Scenario with Robots SP scenario (1.11/1.12), allows you to build your units with components, PYR No preperation turn 1.12 mp-mod that allows you to select your units immideately after the game begins.
salamis

Post by salamis »

Hello. My Wesnoth used to run fine, but suddenly one day the unit animations started moving REALLY slowly. Every time I move a unit it pauses for half a second on each tile of movement. I`ve tried changing the animation speed, putting the graphics to the lowest possible level, deleting all my saves, restarting the cpu and reinstalling the game, all to no avail.

CPU specs:
-2 GB of RAM
-1.70 ghz processor
-Windows 7 Lite OS
-Wesnoth generally uses about 200 mb of RAM
-I`m using the latest stable version of Wesnoth.

Please help!
salamis

Post by salamis »

My version of Wesnoth is 1.12.5

Thnak you!
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

That sounds like it has to be caused by something that's changed on your system. You sure there's nothing else suddenly hogging up your RAM and/or that you didn't install any OS or driver updates between when it last worked ok and when it slowed down?
Me2

Post by Me2 »

1.13.7 runs so slow while 1.12.6 runs ok. Plus, I can´t play LotI at all in 1.13.7 due to WML an LUA problems... but it runs ok in 1.12.6...
Rwlyra

Post by Rwlyra »

Hello, i got a substantial performance problem with newest version of Wesnoth.
1.13.8 version I downloaded to run new versions of certain campaigns that only update under 1.13 runs very badly on my OS compared to 1.12 and previous versions.

Map scrolling and unit movements are not fluid like in 1.12 and it feels like the game has very low framerates overall.
Is there any graphical option I can check or is it a compatibility problem? I run Vista sp2 32bit, trying to find a Win7 code to upgrade as I don't have budget for new OS.
Pentarctagon
Project Manager

Post by Pentarctagon »

1.13 is known to currently be performing poorly.
99 little bugs in the code, 99 little bugs
take one down, patch it around
-2,147,483,648 little bugs in the code
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

It's being worked on though. I'm using the development version, and it's working a lot better for me than the original 1.13.8 was. You should try again with 1.13.9 when it comes out.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
Yomar

Post by Yomar »

BFW 1.13.10, works decently, not like the 1.12.6 release, but with effects off its acceptable, but with all effects on, it becomes jerky even on a relatively powerfull laptop.

System
Win 10
Ram 8 Gb
Dedicated graphics card 2 Gb
CPU 2,4 GHz
Max G on WIF
Rank 🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Xobra

Post by Xobra »

Game in general takes very long to execute moves. Less frames. Problem consist over several saves and new games. Disabling animations (especially water animations) does improve performance a bit, but still annoyingly slow. Game doesn't use up more CPU or Ram than normal.

Wesnoth 1.13.10
Windows 10
16GB Ram
Intel i7-6700 @ 2.6 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce 965M

Possible Fix: Roll back to an older NVIDIA driver.
I rolled back to 388.59 from 388.71 and it worked fine (besides animations, which still would slow the game)
Voidhymn

Post by Voidhymn »

Hi there, sorry that my first post here is a performance gripe, but I'm having a lot of trouble getting the Steam version of Wesnoth to run smoothly. Every 10-20 seconds or so my performance drops dramatically. Scrolling becomes extremely jerky, and sound and music exhibit stuttering and popping consistent with audio buffer under-runs. Not sure what the cause is, but I have a relatively beefy system, so was surprised to say the least, given that I was able to play prior versions on pretty ancient hardware without much bother.

EDIT: I should add that this happens regardless of whether or not I disable unit / map animations.

For reference I'm playing the Windows Steam 1.14.0 build on Windows 10, with an AMD Ryzen 1600x, 32gb DDR4 RAM, and an Nvidia GTX 1070.