SLOW Performance Issues: post here to report

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Hushpuppy

Re: SLOW Performance Issues: post here to Help

Post by Hushpuppy »

Ilanin wrote: Northern Rebirth's final scenario is, of course, something of an unfair standard to hold the speed of the AI to, but I'm going to anyway. For the unaware, NR13, Showdown (I might suggest changing the h to a letter a bit later in the alphabet, but anyway), is a 4v5 map, with the player's side 1 being followed by five orcish AI sides, the player's side 7, an allied AI, and the player's side 9. The orcs do take a while to play their turn. In 1.6 it was over half an hour and I gave up quite rapidly. In 1.6.1 things have improved, but probably not by enough.
I notice the same problem on a MacBook Pro, running 10.5.4, using Wesnoth 1.6.2 and 1.6.4, 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo. Throughout the Northern Rebirth campaign (not only on Slowdown), Wesnoth was slow, I believe noticeably slower than 1.4.7.

Thanks for listening.
-Hushpuppy
Bukowski

Post by Bukowski »

I am running Wesnoth on Windows 7 64bit.

Previously to trying the game on my laptop, which also runs the same version of Windows 7 64bit I thought that was the reason I'm getting considerable lag when recruiting and moving mounted units.

This is for all versions I have tried from the 1.6 and 1.7 branch.

My PC is a Quad Core 3.7ghz 4gb 280GTX beast of a machine. It takes a ridiculous amount of time to load saved games and entering multiplayer battles is impossible because I'm kicked for AFK before my game even loads. I'm really at a loss why Wesnoth has decided it is too good for me :(

My Laptop is 2ghz 4gb and ATI.

Could this possibly be a problem with my machine being -too fast- or possibly a Nvidia problem?

Can anyone help?

I've tried all compatibility modes I can think of...

I'm considering installing a VM just to run wesnoth at a reasonable pace o.o'
BrandonD

Post by BrandonD »

Hi, I am using a MacBook with OSX 10.5.7
2.16 GHz intel core duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
16G free HD space

I've been playing Wesnoth 1.0 for many months now, without realizing that there was an upgrade. I just upgraded (version 1.6.4), and there was good news and bad news. The good news is that there's all this cool new stuff and characters, but the bad news is that when I play in MP mode, it runs very slowly.

I like to play in MP mode, 8 players (7 computer players). This was always very quick with 1.0, but now I notice that when it goes to the other computer characters it starts crawling along at a snail's pace. The music still plays in the background, but the animations freeze for long periods of time. The hourglass and the rainbow wheel pop up often. It seems to go particularly slow when the other computer players are recruiting new fighters. They used to pop up so quickly that they appeared to pop up all at once, but now they come up so slowly that there is like a 30-second lag between each character popping up.

Please let me know if this is some problem on my side that I'm not aware of. If not, hopefully this info can assist you guys in speeding stuff up. I think this game is pretty awesome.

(edit: Ok I just read another post and someone was saying that multiple add-ons could be the problem. I did download a ton of add-ons, but that's because downloading add-ons didn't cause any problems in 1.0. Which ones are the cause of sluggish movement? All of them? If so, where do I go to delete them?)
palloco

Post by palloco »

The first scenario of the campaign Brent (available on 1.7.x addons server) is very slow. Apparently the problem is on AI's turn, when it is trying to move units, although it is not clear to me as it takes a long time to change the flag from red to AI color.
I tried it on different dual core workstations using Windows XP, Vista and 7.
Is anyone able to run this scenario smoothly?

Error log:
20090820 11:22:29 error display: could not open image 'units/human-peasants/woodsman-bow-2.png'
20090820 11:22:29 error display: could not open image 'units/human-peasants/woodsman-bow-3.png'
20090820 11:23:09 error ai/actions: Error #2001 in full move by side 6 from location 16,18 to location 16,18
20090820 11:23:09 error ai/general: full move failed
Pladio

Post by Pladio »

Hi,

I seem to have problems loading any game. Be it multiplayer and/or single player. I'm not talking about loading saved games, but starting new games.

I have :
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite A200
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL0
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) Duo CPU T2450 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz
Memory: 2046MB RAM
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce Go 7300
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_01D7&SUBSYS_FF021179&REV_A1
Display Memory: 333 MB
Dedicated Memory: 61 MB
Shared Memory: 271 MB
Current Mode: 1280 x 800 (32 bit) (60Hz)

I'm playing version 1.6.4.

Can anyone help ?
The_great_new_thing

Post by The_great_new_thing »

Ok, this problem happened just yesterday, which is weird, since I've been playing wesnoth for quite a while now. I have a Windows XP Home edition, 2 gb RAM and 39 GB free HD space. I am using Wesnoth 1.4.6 and it started to slow down all of a sudden, it was quite normal before. Can you help me?
"I say hello to the poodle, you say hello to the poodle."
Ceremute

Post by Ceremute »

I guess I'll try again.

Since some time in 1.6 I've found that units with long movement ranges move very jerkily and without the animation. Another possibly related problem is that when a type of unit is built, it takes a suspiciously long time to make it. I've just installed 1.7.5 and the problem is still there. In sdterr there was a problem to do with the userdata files not being accessed, but that went away when I turned the folder's read only thing off. I've tried reinstallations and I can't find any other installations of wesnoth on my computer.

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6001) Service Pack 1 (6001.vistasp1_gdr.090302-1506)
System Manufacturer: TOSHIBA
System Model: Satellite A300D
BIOS: Ver 1.00PARTTBL
Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Ultra Dual-Core Mobile ZM-80 (2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory: 3294MB RAM
Page File: 1328MB used, 5478MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 10

Is what dxdiag says. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sheva

Post by Sheva »

After upgrading to OS X 10.6 the game runs much slower than under 10.5.8

I dont know if this is an issue with the Open GL performance under Snow Leopard (so this problem might come from Apple itself) OR if it is a problem with Wesnoth itself, that is not fully integrated into the 10.6 routine (dont know if there are any).

Even after updating to 10.6.1 the game runs slow - no effect.

The units move slower, the graphic is slower and the whole behavoir of the game seems to be slower.

System:
Macbook pro (late 2006)
OS X 10.6.1
CPU: Core Duo (32 bit) @2,16 GHz
320 GB HD @7200 rpm
2 GB DDR2 RAM
ATI X1600 mobile with 256 MB RAM
darkwraith007

Post by darkwraith007 »

I'm using WinXP, and v1.7.6 (dev version) of BfW.
Fairly beefy system at 3 Ghz CPU, 2+ GB of RAM, and a GeFX 7950 GT Nvidia Card.

I've found that if you save or load manually (or the game autosaves) at any time, there's a slight pause before the next turn. It seems if you enable 'compressed saves' in the preferences then that's what causes the delay. Removing the checkmark seemed to resolve this issue for me.

Generally its a good idea not to save or load manually while playing, just let the autosaves do their thing, and if you have to load then ideally you want to exit out of the game completely and then restart it so that it reloads everything and runs at the proper speed without slowdown. If you're on Win XP Home/Pro or on Vista, google for 'Black Viper XP/Vista services' and disable anything that ya aren't using.

Check your Antivirus (especially Avira) to make sure it isn't using high-priority heuristic scanning each time a file is read or written to, as that can slow things down pretty quick unless you whitelist it. If you aren't going to play online and you continue to have slowdown issues, then just disable the antivirus before playing for the most optimal experience. Maybe even disable sound & music completely as well. See if that helps.
Ernesto Manifesto

Re: SLOW AI move(s)

Post by Ernesto Manifesto »

I'm playing on a G4 Mac powerbook
667 Mhz
1 GB of ram
OS 10.4.11

Not the fastest or newest Mac around but it still runs photoshop and everything else I need pretty quickly.

Playing Wesnoth 1.6.4, the final scenario of Northern Rebirth. I've been playing it for three days so far and have gotten to turn five. The AI's turn yesterday took just over 6 hours, It's turn today isn't over yet. Only 3 hours into it!
The animations keep running but the AI just seems to "think" for an hour or so at a time without making a move.

May have to right this one off as done! :cry:

thanks.
HomerJ

Re: SLOW AI move(s)

Post by HomerJ »

Ernesto Manifesto wrote:I'm playing on a G4 Mac powerbook
667 Mhz
1 GB of ram
OS 10.4.11

Not the fastest or newest Mac around but it still runs photoshop and everything else I need pretty quickly.

Playing Wesnoth 1.6.4, the final scenario of Northern Rebirth. I've been playing it for three days so far and have gotten to turn five. The AI's turn yesterday took just over 6 hours, It's turn today isn't over yet. Only 3 hours into it!
The animations keep running but the AI just seems to "think" for an hour or so at a time without making a move.

May have to right this one off as done! :cry:

thanks.
:shock: 6 hours?

That beats me... I thought my 45 minutes -> 1h turns were bad.

Hang in there though, NR is great and the showdown battle itself is very gratifying.

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!
Max

Post by Max »

you could try 1.7 - there's been a lot of improvement.
Ernesto Manifesto

Post by Ernesto Manifesto »

I will definitely give 1.7 a try. thanks.
gandalf88

Post by gandalf88 »

I have been having the same problems as quite a lot of people here seem to be having.
they are:
1) slow loading time for new games and saved games, sometimes 2-3 minutes
2) the jerky movements of mounted units, not smoothly as before
3) when recruiting a new unit at the start of a scenario, it takes a bit longer, as if it was stalling, before the unit appears

system:

hp compaq
AMD turion X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-72 2.10Ghz
2 Gb RAM
Vista Sp2

the last version that worked well for me was 1.6a. the versions i tried after that and displayed the problems are 1.6.3 , 1.6.5 ,
1.7.5 , 1.7.8

but recently i just uninstalled my Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and switched to Avira, and i just wanted to try out the
latest version of wesnoth i still had installed (1.7.8 ), and surprisingly it worked much better. the loading times are much shorter,
the mounted units are still a bit jerky, but not as much as before, and there wasn't any stalling during recruiting new units.
so is there some uncompatibilty issue with wesnoth and KIS? maybe someone can check it out.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

gandalf88 wrote:I have been having the same problems as quite a lot of people here seem to be having.
they are:
1) slow loading time for new games and saved games, sometimes 2-3 minutes
2) the jerky movements of mounted units, not smoothly as before
3) when recruiting a new unit at the start of a scenario, it takes a bit longer, as if it was stalling, before the unit appears

system:

hp compaq
AMD turion X2 Dual Core Mobile RM-72 2.10Ghz
2 Gb RAM
Vista Sp2

the last version that worked well for me was 1.6a. the versions i tried after that and displayed the problems are 1.6.3 , 1.6.5 ,
1.7.5 , 1.7.8

but recently i just uninstalled my Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 and switched to Avira, and i just wanted to try out the
latest version of wesnoth i still had installed (1.7.8 ), and surprisingly it worked much better. the loading times are much shorter,
the mounted units are still a bit jerky, but not as much as before, and there wasn't any stalling during recruiting new units.
so is there some uncompatibilty issue with wesnoth and KIS? maybe someone can check it out.
Usually antivirus programs cause problems when playing online, does the above mentioned happen also during SP campaigns (especially the recruiting stall/jerky movement)?

Greetz
HomerJ
Six years without a signature!