Multiplayer server is not letting 1.1.x earlier versions on!

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
Flametrooper

Multiplayer server is not letting 1.1.x earlier versions on!

Post by Flametrooper »

I think the title says it all. I have 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, and I don't really want to get 1.1.4 because I heard there were tons of bugs in it, and I don't want to deal with bugs. (I play to have fun, not to debug a game - that's not my 'strong area.) But it says, "The server requires '1.1.4', while you have '1.1.2'." I guess I should get 1.1.4 despite bugs, but it is annoying. Forcinpeople to get the latest version...sounds like Microsoft. Never though Wesnoth would stoop that low :P
hey.
scott

Re: Multiplayer server is not letting 1.1.x earlier versions

Post by scott »

Flametrooper wrote:I think the title says it all. I have 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, and I don't really want to get 1.1.4 because I heard there were tons of bugs in it, and I don't want to deal with bugs. (I play to have fun, not to debug a game - that's not my 'strong area.) But it says, "The server requires '1.1.4', while you have '1.1.2'." I guess I should get 1.1.4 despite bugs, but it is annoying. Forcinpeople to get the latest version...sounds like Microsoft. Never though Wesnoth would stoop that low :P
This is how it has always been. When developing, the multiplayer server exists primarily (I was tempted to say solely, but at this point it can't be true) to support game development. Players are invited to use development versions of the game to help playtest for bugs and bad behavior. On the other hand, players are invited to use the stable version for self-entertainment.

Bottom line: it does not help the dev team for you to playtest old versions.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Noyga
Inactive Developer

Post by Noyga »

Well 1.1.4 is perhaps compatible with 1.1.3 (i'm not sure), but it is incompatible with previous 1.1.X, because of some changes that breaks compatibility (unit stats for example).
Unlike the stable branch (1.0.X) , expect 1.1.X versions to be incompatible with the previous version, that is why the 1.1.X server usually don't accept previous 1.1.X previous versions.
Yogibear
Retired Developer

Post by Yogibear »

Flametrooper wrote:I play to have fun, not to debug a game - that's not my 'strong area.
There is a perfect solution for your problem. Just read the following quote carefully.
Wiki wrote: Version 1.1.4 is the latest development version, boasting updated graphics and new exciting features. However, there may be occasional bugs or performance problems in the development versions since heavy changes are taking place all the time. For balanced and stable gaming, it is recommended you use the latest version of the 1.0.x branch. This (comment: the development) version is recommended for coders and campaign developers, as well as those who want to preview the future of Wesnoth.
I really don't know what makes you think that the development version is a bugfree stable version that gives you unlimited playing fun. Sounds like a severe communication problem here. Maybe we should post that Wiki description with XXL fontsize centered on the homepage.
Smart persons learn out of their mistakes, wise persons learn out of others mistakes!
Wintermute
Inactive Developer

Post by Wintermute »

Flametrooper wrote:I have 1.1.1 and 1.1.2, and I don't really want to get 1.1.4 because I heard there were tons of bugs in it, and I don't want to deal with bugs.
I have been on the mulltiplayer server for some time every day this week, and in my experience so far, 1.1.4 is more stable than 1.1.2a (for windows anyway).

I have had one crash-to-desktop (CTD) bug so far with 1.1.4, which might have been my OS anyway.

Clicking preferences in-game no longer causes a CTD.
Changing hotkeys no longer causes a CTD.
No Gryphon/Skeleton bug.
Steadfast seems improved/fixed.

Overall I am quite happy with 1.1.4
"I just started playing this game a few days ago, and I already see some balance issues."
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Okay, I guess I'll get it. What I mainly didn't want, though, was the blinking HP bars and units flashing when hit, and a few other things (incomplete standing animations, why implement a few if you're not going to do them all?) - quite a few intentional features, not bugs, that I don't like.
hey.
JW

Post by JW »

That sounds more like a personal problem than a problem with either the server or the game.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

I only posted it here because at first I thought it was a bug. Sorry.
hey.
JW

Post by JW »

Nope. If you remember when 1.1.2 was released, 1.1.1 couldn't be played on it. That's just something you have to deal with if you want to play the good version of Wesnoth.

Obviously by good version I mean the version that is better. Meaning the development version. :P
torangan
Retired Developer

Post by torangan »

It's a compromise. You can either get new stuff fast or stable releases. Producing nice new stuff fast and stable is rather impossible. Therefore we've got an old but stable line and a shiny new line where you've got to play the game tester. Bugs reported for release X might be fixed but this doesn't stop release X+1 from having new stuff with new bugs in it. It's your decision which line to play. The best for Wesnoth(*) is of course to play the development line and to report bugs into the bug tracker, not the forum.

(*) Actually it's still one step behind contributing usefull stuff yourself. :wink:
WesCamp-i18n - Translations for User Campaigns:
http://www.wesnoth.org/wiki/WesCamp

Translators for all languages required: contact me. No geek skills required!
appleide

Post by appleide »

JW wrote:Nope. If you remember when 1.1.2 was released, 1.1.1 couldn't be played on it. That's just something you have to deal with if you want to play the good version of Wesnoth.

Obviously by good version I mean the version that is better. Meaning the development version. :P
Well, I recall 1.1.2 was compatible to 1.1.2a, somewhat.
Why did the fish laugh? Because the sea weed.
scott

Post by scott »

appleide wrote:
JW wrote:Nope. If you remember when 1.1.2 was released, 1.1.1 couldn't be played on it. That's just something you have to deal with if you want to play the good version of Wesnoth.

Well, I recall 1.1.2 was compatible to 1.1.2a, somewhat.
The -a versions are the same version but contain critical bug-fixes.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
bruno
Inactive Developer

Post by bruno »

When 1.1.5 is released it should be a lot better. There has been a lot of bug squashing going on this week.