saving... grrr

Having trouble with the game? Report issues and get help here. Read this first!

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Forum rules
Before reporting issues in this section, you must read the following topic:
methinks

saving... grrr

Post by methinks »

darn it! old saves don't work. now i'm using 0.45 versio (the one to which link was provided a few posts earlier). I've saved game after 1st scenario (elves besieged) and when I'm loading it game starts from beginning. i hate it how am i supposed to play it through grrrhh. and i prefer to make meself familiar with game before ranslating, uhm. i'm emailing my save.

oh and before game starts console opens saying 'initializing true type fonts' or sth like this and it waits for 10 secs. It wasn't behaving this way before.

[edt] ehmm uhmmm wrong button I've meant to reply to the other thread, ehm, sorry :oops:
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

As long as you save between scenarios, you should be able to load your game.

The file you sent me was empty (0 bytes in size).

Version 0.4.5 did have a problem where it is a little slow loading up. This problem is fixed in the development version, however a Windows binary of the latest version isn't available.

Do remember that this game is still under heavy development, and the project is only 3 months old, so it is still expected to have some problems.

David
methinks

Post by methinks »

I know I know it's still early versioon (only 3 months.... darn it you are quick bastards :] )

Heh anyway so there is a problem with saving cause the game did save after 1st scenario and this empy file I've sent is the one created by game. I didn't notice it myself, but well. It may be a bug, may be some kind of an error caused not by the game, ehm.

How do I compile?? I want newest version but dunno how to do it and what compiler to use.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

methinks wrote: Heh anyway so there is a problem with saving cause the game did save after 1st scenario and this empy file I've sent is the one created by game. I didn't notice it myself, but well. It may be a bug, may be some kind of an error caused not by the game, ehm.
Well, could you load the save with your previous version of the game? If so then it didn't start out empty.
methinks wrote: How do I compile?? I want newest version but dunno how to do it and what compiler to use.
If you want to compile for Windows you will likely need Visual C++ 6. However this compiler is not free, and you would almost certainly need strong C++ skills to port the game successfully.

I try to release a Windows version every few weeks or so, because there are Windows users like yourself who do like the game, however porting it to Windows is a frustrating and time-consuming process each time, so I don't do it too often. I wish that someone who has access to Visual C++ and has strong C++ skills would volunteer to be in charge of the Windows port, but no-one has. Ironically, the far less popular operating systems MacOSX and BeOS both have had people volunteering to maintain a port.

I'm glad you like the game, and I am sorry you are finding it frustrating, but all I can recommend at this time is to either use version 0.4.5 (or 0.4 if you prefer that), or to wait until the next Windows version is released.

David
methinks

Post by methinks »

Uhm I haven't realised that you are porting the game from Linux to Win not the other way round, ahem. Heh so now that this is clear... I guess I will have to finally install Linux and I haven't done this in a long time. As I get what you've written you are the person who ports the game onto win, true? And also as I get what you write is that with VC++ I can compile it with zero effort or am I wrong. Ahem sorry for all the trouble I am more than willing to help you, test game and translate it but it's hard to test game when I use not the newest version. Anyway is it such a big problem to compile it under Win? I woudl never guess.
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

That's right, most of the people who contribute to this game use Linux.

I am the founder, only real developer, and yes, in charge of the Windows port.

One of the huge advantages of Java is supposedly its ease of porting to different platforms. This is because C++, which Wesnoth is written in, is considered highly unportable. A great deal of care has to be taken to make sure that Wesnoth won't be too hard to port over to Windows and other operating systems, since there are numerous differences in C++ implementation between the platforms.

It will not be easy to compile Wesnoth for Windows even if you have VC++ I am afraid. There will be a number of compile errors which will have to be solved, due to differences in C++ implementation between Linux and Windows. You would likely need a fairly strong knowledge of C++ to be able to solve these problems.

If you install Linux, you should be able to compile the game and run it easily, assuming you have a basic knowledge of Linux and run a fairly up-to-date distribution.

David