Scenario 15: The Lost General

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Skaithe

Re: Scenario 15: The Lost General

Post by Skaithe »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.7 Champion - Challenging

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3 -- Not too bad.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear. Although I did wonder for a bit... I guess that rumbling shattered a wall or something? I had explored the south earlier and didn't notice a way through.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The Dwarvish Berseker is awesome. As soon as I saw that whirlpool, I recalled a merman in the nearby keep.Just enough clue, well done.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Nothing
too bad.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
Attachments
HttT-The_Lost_General_replay.gz
(46.96 KiB) Downloaded 810 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

Since scenario 14 doesn't have a thread, let me first note that there was a WML warning there under 1.9.7, something about empty "side=" being deprecated. Now on to scenario 15...

(1) Difficulty and version? Hardest; 1.9.7
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 5
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Being slowed by Pillagers in a cave. Don't think I ever saw that before. Nasty. Like flypaper.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 7
(7) Changes? Gotta have more Pillagers.

Screenshot and replay attached. I haven't been reading the walkthroughs lately, so I blundered into the hex that releases the undead into the main passage. It wasn't too bad, since the undead couldn't get out, but it did get a bit stressful when Northerners attacked my flank and then a troll came in from the only other possible direction. Delfador had a 2.56% chance of dying one turn, and there were probably other close calls, a bit sloppy on my part. I saw the whirlpool, but since I hadn't read the walkthrough there was no way I was stepping in that, so I didn't get the Ulfseeker.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attachments
HttT-The_Lost_General_replay.gz
(67.5 KiB) Downloaded 838 times
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

I couldn't find a link to Scenario 14, so I thought I'd address my comments for that scenario here.

Scenario 14 (Plunging into the depths) is essentially an interlude designed to teach new players about how slow everyone moves in the underdark. It's not challenging (deliberately) but it does the job. My main suggestion comes with the implementation of illuminated caverns, a new feature for 1.10.

As this is a new feature, it's probably a good idea to introduce them here. I recommend the following changes: add illuminated caverns at (18,34), (19,35) and (20,34) When Konrad first enters one he should make comment, upon which Defaldor can reply telling him that normally chaotic creatures are at an advantage in the underdark, but in illuminated locations, Lawful units (such as Konrad) gain the advantage.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
easy 1.10.2
clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was good, i liked the lore of the general, it reminded me a bit of the ghosties from the third LOTR movie. When my units first went far enough into the caves to trigger dialogue, however, i always accidentally skipped it because i was ready to click on the next unit right after this one stopped moving, so right when the text came up i clicked on the screen and closed it before i could read what it said.
Moving too slow, it was hard to get a large force into the choke-points at the orc and undead bases, i would be able to get one unit in and have a slow 1v1 until one of them died, only to have another take their place. Also, fighting with the undead in the shallow water was pretty horrible, i could maybe move one space per turn and could barely get units to the front line to get attacks off.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
The narrow choke-points could be a bit wider.
Fate is against me.
wobbly

Post by wobbly »

1) medium 1.11.2
2) 6 - lost once to being careless with major characters. but keeping a couple of dwarf warriors in front solved that problem
3) clear
4) wierd - the troll & undead dialog appeared on move 1 long before I met either of them
5) I split my forces to explore, so had to use mainline characters to fight a little which was risky.
6) 5, the initial exploring is a little slow & could do with something to occupy the dead turns.
7) I had an AI issue - the troll boss just stood still while I shot him with ranged attacks.
Adamant14

Post by Adamant14 »

I found a bug using BfW 1.11.5

The following sighted events fire all on on turn 1.

This on side 2 turn 1

Code: Select all

[event]
        name=sighted
        [filter]
            side=2
        [/filter]
        [message]
            speaker=second_unit
            message= _ "Who goes there? Friend or foe?"
        [/message]
        [message]
            speaker=unit
            message= _ "We are desperately trying to rid these tunnels of orcs and trolls! Please help us in our quest."
        [/message]
    [/event]
This on side 3 turn 1

[event]
        name=sighted
        [filter]
            side=3
        [/filter]
        [message]
            speaker=second_unit
            message= _ "Vile creature! Let us rid these tunnels of its kind!"
        [/message]
    [/event]
This on side 4 turn 1

[event]
        name=sighted
        [filter]
            side=4
        [/filter]
        [message]
            speaker=second_unit
            message= _ "I did not know that the undead were in these pits!"
        [/message]
    [/event]
Author of Antar, Son of Rheor ( SP Campaign) | Development Thread + Feedback Thread + Replays of ASoR
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 1.8.5, 1.10.2 and 1.10.5

On average (relative to others) 5.

Kind of clear.

Puzzling to understand how an Ulfserker and Merman can get through a whirlpool but there ya go. Everything else was fine.

Organizing things so that I had Elvish Sorceresses on both front lines. Elves and caves don't mix very well but Elvish Sorceresses make this scenario much easier and are generally much more reliable against Trolls and the Undead than Mages, and far more reliable than Dwarvish Thunderers/Thunderguards.

5 - It could be worse of course, but navigating Elves through winding passages in caves isn't that enthralling. However it's good to get good levelling opportunities for Sorceresses, even if later than required.

None I can think of.
thejasper

Post by thejasper »

1.10.4 medium
This is you introduction to dwarves, and I misjudged them at first. I needed to replay this because putting the troops in the right place makes a huge difference.
I still don't get that berserker. It seems the only thing he can do is die.
slowmind2

Post by slowmind2 »

Bug or feature?

In BfW 1.11.15 I can't recruit Dwarvish Scout...!?
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

slowmind2 wrote:Bug or feature?

In BfW 1.11.15 I can't recruit Dwarvish Scout...!?
They aren't on the list to be available to recruit at any point in this scenario, so it would be intentional.
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
slowmind2

Post by slowmind2 »

Turuk wrote:
slowmind2 wrote:In BfW 1.11.15 I can't recruit Dwarvish Scout...!?
They aren't on the list to be available to recruit at any point in this scenario, so it would be intentional.
OK, thank's for your quick answer, Turuk. But in 1.6.x and 1.8.x or 1.10.x I played with Dwarvish Scouts. It's a new restriction in this version...
Velensk
Multiplayer Contributor

Post by Velensk »

I think you're thinking of a different campaign where you can play dwarves. You've never been able to recruit dwarven scouts in HttT. Origionally they weren't even mainline. You can check the changelog.
"There are two kinds of old men in the world. The kind who didn't go to war and who say that they should have lived fast died young and left a handsome corpse and the old men who did go to war and who say that there is no such thing as a handsome corpse."
slowmind2

Post by slowmind2 »

Velensk wrote:I think you're thinking of a different campaign where you can play dwarves. You've never been able to recruit dwarven scouts in HttT. Origionally they weren't even mainline. You can check the changelog.
Maybe speed is'nt the onlx problem with my mind... :oops:
Turuk
Sithslayer

Post by Turuk »

slowmind2 wrote:
Velensk wrote:I think you're thinking of a different campaign where you can play dwarves. You've never been able to recruit dwarven scouts in HttT. Origionally they weren't even mainline. You can check the changelog.
Maybe speed is'nt the onlx problem with my mind... :oops:
Ha, after a while of playing so many scenarios, they all sort of blur together...
Mainline Maintainer: AOI, DM, NR, TB and THoT.
UMC Maintainer: Forward They Cried, A Few Logs, A Few More Logs, Start of the War, and Battle Against Time
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium Difficulty 1.10.7

The objectives themselves are clear, but figuring out where the undead leader is can be slightly tricky.

It was serviceable.

The only real point of difficulty was accessing the castle of the undead leader. The orcs and trolls went down surprisingly easy even though I was mostly using level 1 dwarfs, although having 2 elvish shydes to act as incredibly mobile healers and slow anything threatening helped a lot. (It was around this point in the campaign that I really realized those two units were going to end up my MVP's for the entire campaign. They were ridiculously useful in just about every scenario to follow). The undead on the other hand was tricky because of the lake between me and my castle, a lake that due to the positioning of my troops ended up being the center of the entire battle against the undead, and rather tricky to cross. Still I vastly outnumbered the undead, so it was just a matter of whittling their forces down and the time limit was incredibly generous so I wasn't in much danger of losing, but it did take a while.

6. Getting to play with dwarves is a nice change of pace from everything before, but the scenario is a bit on the slow side, especially the already mentioned lakeful of undead I needed to fight.

I would remove the lake, or at least move the tunnel the undead come out of, so you're more likely to fight them on more enjoyable terrain.