Scenario 11: Ford of Abez

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Scenario 11: Ford of Abez

Post by SigurdFireDragon » March 8th, 2016, 10:24 pm

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 361 Gold

I agree with the others that it might be good to make it more clear where exactly "getting across the river" is completed.

This scenario is a refreshing change. Seeing in the Status Table that Li'sar has 54 g income and the orc has 3, makes it clear going after Li'sar won't work. So my village grabbing strategy is not to grab any villages and get across the river almost as quickly as possible to maximize carryover gold.

I recalled 10 units (9 Merfolk & a Shyde) Had some units back up the merman going for the trident as I wasn't sure where or when the monsters hinted at in the Status Table would appear.
Attachments
HttT-The_Ford_of_Abez_replay.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(74.74 KiB) Downloaded 98 times

Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg » March 18th, 2016, 5:18 pm

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.12.5, medium.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3. When you have enough leveled mermen and just rush for the other side, it's not very difficult.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Mostly clear. When I got close enough, I moved Konrad immediately to the plains and not on the sand, so I didn't even notice that victory isn't triggered if you go on sand- I only found out about it after reading a few comments here. Looking at the scenario code, the victory is triggered by moving Konrad to hexes with coordinates x=1-44 and y=1-8, meaning that moving him to sand hexes won't trigger victory (because their y coordinate is >8), but also that some plain hexes won't work either: quite a few of them on the western end of the map (though noone would try to send Konrad there anyways, so that's not a big issue); also, hexes 27.9 and 35.9 are plains but don't trigger victory.
A simple way to fix this would be to mention what range of coordinates the "victroy hexes" are in. Or, if you don't want numbers in scenario objectives, filter the victory event not by coordinate range, but by hex type (if that can be done) and then say (in scenario objectives) that Konrad has to reach plain hexes on the opposite side of the river. Or, you know, make it so that stepping on sand also triggers victory.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It's alright and I like Delfador's story about the battle. Li'sar still sound a bit bratty but it's not as bad as in the previous encounter. I'm not sure what to think about her trying to chase after Konrad... I mean, he is a traitor as far as she's concerned, so it makes sense that she'd want to punish him, but isn't it good for her that he's leaving Wesnoth? One less problem for her to deal with, especially considering the state Wesnoth is currently in. They attacked the Elves of Aethenwood, their mermen slaves from the bay of pearls were freed, the magi of Alduin oppose the Queen, Elensefar had been retaken and to top it all off, they have hordes of undead roaming about. They need every capable commander they can afford and Konrad leaving is one less threat (at least for now). I don't really get why Li'sar would pursue him still.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Keeping Mermen safe which isn't easy considering the range that those squids have.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7. A nice chance to play with mermen considering how many of them the player has on the recall list, the sea monsters make things more diverse (as does the "escape" type of scenario) and it's relatively easy.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
For the sake of clarity, fixing that ambigousness with the objectives, but I don't know what else there is to change considering that it's plenty of fun as is.

Notes & stuff:
-starting gold: 411
-no recruits
-recalls(7): Horseman & 6 mermen: Fighter(loyal), Netcaster(loy), Priestess(loy), 2x Warrior(both loy; 1 storm trident), Enchantress

-turn 1: recalling only a few mermen & a Horseman (non-water units can quickly get killed in water so I won't risk them and I don't want to lose too much gold); Konrad goes straight in the water
-turn 5: monsters appear; orcs enter the water and so does 1st of Li'sar's units; Konrad is halfway to the other side
-turn 6: warrior gets the trident; he can be attacked by 2 squids but they'd have to hit 19/20 times so he's safe
-turn 7: warrior retreats to the village; he can be attacked only from 1 hex but he can't be killed (10 hits from squid needed, but they have 8 hits available because of swarm); an ogre could also reach him but enchantress blocks him; Horseman levels to a Knight; mermen form a defensive wall against monsters so all of them can be attacked by 2 squids at most and are not at any serious risk; due to oversight, a warrior with a trident is also exposed to an orcish warrior so if he's really unlucky, he could be killed (but he'll likely survive); in the end, he survives
-turn 8: enchantress kills the orc warrior that was attacking my warrior, thus freeing the warrior from ZoC so he can retreat; she also levels due to it; most orcs defeated; wounded units protected with ZoC; my other trident warrior retreats from the village on the island even though he could kill the squid that attacked him- if he killed it, the ogres would get him, but this way the ogres will go for the wounded squid and in turn, the squids will go for the ogres; as expected, the ogres kill the squids and squids attack Li'sar's units
-turn 10: I had no problem leaving wounded mermen near the squids on turn 9 because Li'sar's units are in the water with horrible defense so they were the priority; now I use my mermen and a knight to pick off wounded loyalists; my warrior levels into a Triton; Konrad reaches the shore
-I could've stayed to farm XP, but I'll still have a chance to level mermen later on and I'd like to have as much gold as possible to properly recover from the valley of death

-no losses, no reloads
-advancements(3): Enchantress->Siren; Warrior->Triton (Trident); Horseman->Knight
-turns taken: 10/24
-end: 301 gold, 2 villages
-XP: Priestess, Knight, Warrior at ~1/3; Fighter close to lvl 2
-dmg dealt: -2%
-dmg taken: +3%
Attachments
HttT-The_Ford_of_Abez_replay.gz
(71.79 KiB) Downloaded 88 times

Nyashka

Post by Nyashka » December 14th, 2016, 12:59 pm

Okay, I finally managed to NOT cross the river. It reveals a weird bug, though.

If you don't cross the river, the sea creatures go to kill the Orc general, and after they do it they just stand in his fortress.

You can't actually "kill" the Princess, she just withdraws when you bring her to 0. But gameplay-wise it's the same thing. When the Orc general and Pricess are both defeated — you win the scenario even without crossing the river. It is possible to kill every creature in the game, though it's tough to get to those bugged sea creatures.

Strategy: recruit mermen and lure as many enemies as possible to the sea shore. Fight until you see a window and strike with a leveled knight.

To kill every enemy you need to send some forces to the other side of the river. Virtually impossible without having 10-12 level 3 characters (I'm on hardest difficulty). I'm an experience freak, though, so I have more level three's than I can recruit.

Was fun!
Attachments
wesnoth-lisar.png

Tad_Carlucci
Developer

Post by Tad_Carlucci » December 14th, 2016, 4:29 pm

Already fixed.
I forked real life and now I'm getting merge conflicts.