Scenario 11: Ford of Abez

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 11: Ford of Abez

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Last edited by scott on March 19th, 2006, 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Becephalus
Inactive Developer

Post by Becephalus »

Medium 1.02

3 (beat it first time through, lost a bunch of merman, but nothing else)

It seemed just getting him across wasn't enough, he had to get a little bit inland.

Marginally

Not taking anything with less than 6 movement and trying to meet the orcs at dawn while also staying ahead of the humans and cuttlefish.

4 (slightly below average)

Its always interesting to have a variety of scenarios so I think it is fine as it is. Just having it thier makes the more traditional scenarios less boring.

9 lvl 3 and 9 lvl 2 not couting what you spawn with (konrad, kalenz, delfador)
There are three roads to ruin: by gambling, which is the quickest; through women, which is the most pleasurable; and through taking the advice of experts, which is the most certain. -de Gaulle
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

1=Easy
2=2
3=it is unclear where "the north side of the river" is. Perhaps it should say 'the grass on the north side of the river'?
4=very, but a bit long... and why do you get a gold bonus?
5=merman lord with storm trident dying :wink:
6=4
7=Decrease AI aggression... IMO aggression=1.0 should never be used
8=991
9=12
Shakiko

Post by Shakiko »

easy, medium, hard

medium - 4, interesting, but if you sacrifice some merman you can easily run through the ford
hard - 6, abit challenging as a few merman didnt do the job this time ^^;

Pretty clear, but easily misunderstood, too...
When playing it first, I already started farming exp when it was obvious that Konrad would reach the shore this turn... nice surprise that you need to move a few hexes into the gras...

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

hmm.. the hardest part for me was/is to calculate the perfect number of troops i need to stay alive...
a few too much and i lose too much gold... a few to few and Konrad gets killed

I really enjoyed using merman again (esp. as most of them were loyal in 1.11 =) )

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

I like it the way it is now (1.11)
You could add a hint to the trident though.

(8 ) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?

some 250ies

(9) About how many higher level units did you have in your recall list? Don't list them out.

16 w/o storyline Characters
but I only recalled the 2 lv2 merman I had
toms

Re: Scenario Review: Ford of Abez

Post by toms »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(8 ) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
(9) About how many higher level units did you have in your recall list? Don't list them out.
(1) Easy: 0.7,0.8.9,0.8.11 Medium: 1.0
(2) 3
(3) A guy must be real fool to misunderstand them.
(4) Quite interesting
(5) Go over the river?, gain as much XP as you can and not let the sea monsters be killed by humans.
(6) 5
(7) I don´t know...
(8) ~400-500, not sure
(9) ~15 level 3s
Last edited by toms on March 21st, 2006, 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
First read, then think. Read again, think again. And then post!
drachefly

Re: Scenario Review: Ford of Abez

Post by drachefly »

medium, hard

3, 7.

Get across, of course; but it was not clear how FAR. Better would be a 'signpost' target, perhaps at the northern edge of the map. Make things last one turn longer, or so.

Okay. Incidentally, it wasn't clear that the storm trident could only be used by mermen. Though I could have guessed, I really wanted a lightning-throwing gryphon.

The sea serpent is death on fins. Orcish warriors pump out the damage even against merman 60% evasion
Maybe if I had better mermen things would have gone differently. Perhaps if I had gone to the Isle instead of the peninsula... but I went through that on an earlier less favorable version.

a few hexes of stepping stones in the ford, here and there. It would help you get across, but also help the princess' troops catch up with you a little.
Also, having the sea monsters appear over a few turns. Right now, they basically all arrive at the same time, which is nasty.

Or, split the ford into a western part with stepping stones, and an eastern part with none. The western ford will let you cross quicker, but you may have to face all three foes at the same time.
What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it. -- You-know-who
The Kingdom Of Loathing Era
mega

Post by mega »

(1) 1.1.2, medium
(2) 10 when trying to defeat Li'sar, 3 otherwise
(3) clear, except for not knowing when exactly it will end
(4) clear, clearly uninteresting
(5) resisting the temptation to harvest experience from Li'sar
(6) 4
(7) It's ok. A signpost on the shore would be nice, so that the desperate player can continue fighting the humans and the monsters from the shore :-)

For some reason there were no gryphons in my recruitment list even though I kill the mother in the previous scenario.

Cheers, Gábor
Sly

Post by Sly »

mega wrote:For some reason there were no gryphons in my recruitment list even though I kill the mother in the previous scenario.
In the new version, you can recruit griffins only some scenario later
EnigmaNova

Post by EnigmaNova »

Why is Li'sar killable in this level if she's meant to stay alive later?
scott

Post by scott »

EnigmaNova wrote:Why is Li'sar killable in this level if she's meant to stay alive later?
Do me a favor and open a bug report. It might be that setting her to passive may do the trick. I can only kill her if she exposes herself. Has anyone defeated her without getting her to leave the keep?
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Bryce

Post by Bryce »

> (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.1.7 (and also very old versions - been playing since around version 0.7)

> (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) (1)
2 - almost trivial.
The first times I beat this scenario, long ago, i thought it was really hard.
Now, however, it is very easy. I recalled one shyde and recruited mermen fighters in the rest of the castle squares, and rushed for the water with my heros. One merman I sent to grab the trident, the others I used as a meat shield around my heros and shyde. I entered the water on the first turn I could, and each turn positioned and made combat descions based on moving the heros as far foreward as they could each turn. The enemy orcs strayed into the water rather than waiting at the shore-water interface, and were harvested for XP. By the time the sea monsters got there, I was already quite a ways across, and the monsters went for Lisar's troops as they crossed.
A few turns later I got Konrad to the shore, with most of the orcs dead. About this time the merman with the trident had gotten away and showed up to help finish off whatever orcs were left in the water. Next turn Konrad captured a village and I won. No losses. (No level-ups either, but oh well.)

> (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Quite clear. I did expect the scenario to end as soon as Konrad set foot on the shore, rather than capturing a village, but whatever. The scenario was so easy that it didn't much matter.

> (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Perfectly clear, fairly interesting.

> (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Distributing the experiance from the stupid orcs that step off the shore and into the water equitably. :) None really. The merman I sent to get the trident could have died because I decided to have him fight lisar's horsemen, but he survived and got away to heal.

> (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4-5... it's okay but not very challenging. But I prefer a little too easy to much too hard. It used to be too hard.

> (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Sea monsters exhibiting a preference for fighting the player. In my game, I had made it quite a ways across the river before they got there, and mostly the fought Lisar's troops. Actually, I don't think they attacked me once.
jonaskoelker

Post by jonaskoelker »

(1) easy/1.1.8
(2) difficulty: If all I care about is completion, 1/10 (just flood the map with troops from the 700 gold reserve). If I actually care about my economy and my troops, 7/10: either I lose my precious high-level troops, or I get slaughtered, or I go broke.
(3) objectives: It's not in *ANY* way what so ever clear that you actually have to move him onto the grass, and not just out of the water.
(4) storyline: not noticed.
(5) major challenges: fighting or avoiding a war on bloody three fronts.
(6) fun: not at all. 1/10. If Li'Sar has an infinite army of guards, why don't they just overrun me?
(7) changes to make it more fun: make Li'sar leave her castle more often, such that I can kill her. Make Konrad able to teleport at will.
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

Medium
Very clear, except for Konrad having to move further than expected
Very clear, rather interesting
Keeping my distraction force (1 Outrider, 1 Knight), who kept occupying villages on the southern shore alive. Deciding if a quick victory or levelling units is worth more.
- Picking up the trident crashed BfW (ver.1.1.9 on Windows XP). Please fix!
- Allow for some extra challenge (bonus) on this map. Finishing this level felt slightly unsatisfying as you don't gain much (I only recalled one castle of units and finished in minimum time, i.e. as fast as Konrad can walk. Still I didn't gain much gold and the XP for the mermen isn't very exciting either).
Maybe replace Li'sar with some general who has less bodyguards and can be killed in order to get a bonus.
- Make killing the Orcs slower, so that the danger of being caught between Orcs and Humans is bigger. (make the Orcs stay on the northern shore of the river if this is easily possible with the AI). I didn't really get the feeling of being chased, as the humans never got to catch up with any of my units in the river.
fyo

Post by fyo »

Medium, 1.1.11 (and 1.0)
Clear, but as others have mentioned, it should probably be clarified that Konrad needs to move onto the grass.
One of the better scenarios in this regard.
None, really.
I think it's perfect as is. I like transition scenarios. This one makes sense, has a clear "purpose" to it and doesn't take too long. Variation is a good thing and this scenario provides some of that as well.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Medium 1.3.1
Very clear
Very clear, nice to see the girl back with a bang
Placing units in a way that monsters attacked pursuing bunch not me.
6. Was more challenging in 1.1, orc AI recruited mostly lvl2 fighters wchich meant that there was never enough orcs to block whole way to the shore.
Add a second orc on the northern shore, would probably require weakening of the pursuit though.