Scenario 17: The Sceptre of Fire

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zookeeper
WML Wizard

Re: Scenario 17: The Sceptre of Fire

Post by zookeeper »

DewyB wrote:Not certain if this is the place, but just finished this in 1.13.6 and when Lisar (sp?) picked up the sceptre it registered on Konrad immediately and for the rest of the campaign.

I was looking forward to her getting a ranged attack. Instead, game acted like she had it while Konrad actually did.
Yes, that's a bug in 1.13.6 which has since been fixed.

If you want, I can hotfix your savefile (from either before you take the sceptre, or after if you don't mind missing the not-so-terribly-different dialogue) so that Li'sar gets it.
DewyB

Post by DewyB »

Not necessary, I appreciate the quick reply and am just glad it's resolved going forward.
Tell me again, where are we going, and why are we in a handbasket?
613TheEvil

Post by 613TheEvil »

Hello, I noticed a minor syntax error in the description of "Battle Princess in the encyclopedia. I levelled up Li'sar during The sceptre of fire so I thought to mention it here, I am fairly sure though that this is not the right thread to post it. :( I just hope someone that can change it sees it anyway.

The problem? The second sentence of her description says: "Now battle-hardened and strong of will, she can now aid those around her in the art of combat." I believe one of the two "now's" has to go, it's an excess. That's all, have fun everyone! :D
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

I am playing Sceptre of Fire right now, and when I accidentally let Konrad die and tried to restart from the scenario start, I got an error message. I closed it too quickly and only remember something about a lua error during map generation; a few seconds later, I was taken to the credits. When I checked, HttT is marked as completed in my campaign list now.

I'm running the current Steam version.
zookeeper
WML Wizard

Post by zookeeper »

Britannicus wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 8:08 pm I am playing Sceptre of Fire right now, and when I accidentally let Konrad die and tried to restart from the scenario start, I got an error message. I closed it too quickly and only remember something about a lua error during map generation; a few seconds later, I was taken to the credits. When I checked, HttT is marked as completed in my campaign list now.

I'm running the current Steam version.
It's going to be fixed in the next release, but in the meantime, you can just keep restarting the scenario, as there's an exact 50% chance of the error manifesting each time.
Britannicus

Post by Britannicus »

zookeeper wrote: May 22nd, 2018, 8:10 pmIt's going to be fixed in the next release, but in the meantime, you can just keep restarting the scenario, as there's an exact 50% chance of the error manifesting each time.
Yep, worked out fine on the try right after that. Just thought I'd mention it. :)
kimnor1

Post by kimnor1 »

I'm guessing the 50% probability error looks like this.
Error
Map generator error: Error when running lua_map_generator create_map.
The generator was: Lua Cave Generator
Lua Error:
When executing, Lua runtime error: lua/mapgen_helper.lua:93:assertion failed!
stack traceback:
C: in function '.assert'
lua/mapgen_helper.lua:93: in function <lua/mapgen_helper.lua:79>
C: in function '.tostring'
lua/came_map_generator.lua:163: in function <lua/cave_map_generator.lua:8>
(...tail calls...)
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Beginner

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

- Clear, make it through the dark to find where the Sceptre is (Li'sar got it)

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Pretty interesting. I liked the idea of Delfador concentrating for the search

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

- Making sure my units don't fall in lava

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- I like it the way it is

(8 ) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?

- I think 650

(9) About how many higher level units did you have in your recall list? Don't list them out.

Two level fours, mostly level threes and some level twos and ones. Four (Elvish Slyph and Great Mage)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.0, Champion (Challenging)

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear.

None.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

-

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

(9) About how many higher level units did you have in your recall list? Don't list them out.

20-30.
Attachments
HttT-The Sceptre of Fire replay.gz
(72.77 KiB) Downloaded 531 times
Poison

Post by Poison »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.7, Champion (Challenging), 272 gold (572 after Lisar gives me hers).

2. It would be an 1, but there were some units that could sneak on your own.

Clear.

Very clear and very interesting.

None, it was a total domination.

None. Maybe a little more turns are needed.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No, as I said, total domination.
Attachments
HttT-The Sceptre of Fire replay Poison.gz
(76.71 KiB) Downloaded 564 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:08 pm (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.14.9 Challenging (in Ironman mode), played once
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:08 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Cant give a simple number here. I think its easy if played properly. But this was my ~third (and much different/bigger) cave scenario in a long time and I still made pretty much the same stupid mistakes as before. So I ended up having troubles. If I were to play it again (especially now knowing the layout etc) I think it would be very easy.
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:08 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Technically ok. But I expected additional difficulties due to "creative scripting" (which I dont like - see my comments on other scenarios) so I didnt trust those "clear" objectives. Which effectively made them not so clear in the context of other scenarios.
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:08 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Ok.
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:08 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Dealing with my own gameplay mistakes. All my difficulties came from me not going straight for the sceptre but instead to the sides with inadequate forces. (Not trying to say going to the sides is bad.)
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:08 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
I didnt have much fun but if I were to replay it it would be one of the more fun (8 maybe) ones I think.
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:08 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I dont think it needs changes. Maybe there are too many earthquakes. Are these actually doing anything?
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:08 pm (8 ) How much gold did you have at the start of the scenario?
540, large part of it I didnt use until much later though
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:08 pm (9) About how many higher level units did you have in your recall list? Don't list them out.
lvl 4: 3
lvl 3: 21
lvl 2: 22
Attachments
HttT-The Sceptre of Fire replay.gz
(77.81 KiB) Downloaded 455 times
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:08 pm (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1. Normal/1.15.12+dev
2. 4/10
3. crystal clear
4. 7/10
5. Northing really.
6. 7/10
7. Maybe add some random cave monsters...like a Cave Bear? some other cave denizens? Seeing only goblins there were silly. This was just boring due to isolated mobs and easy kills. Add more cave terrain variety into the generator, it's too bland.
8. I forgot but it was quite plentiful
9. Seriously? Do you want me to flex? Well, I have like: 4x Grand Knight, 1x Paladin, 3x Shyde, 2x Arch Mage, 2x Elvish Sharpshooters, 1x Avenger, 1x Outrider, all maxed out loyal units, some level 3 Merfolk, etc.
HttT-The Sceptre of Fire replay 20210424-222948.gz
(63.79 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium
mal_shubertal

Post by mal_shubertal »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.16.2 Challenging
1. Absolute cake walk.
very
Clear. I actually like how Lisar gets even MORE snotty and insufferable when she gets the scepter, it seems very true to her character. There was one typo. In the first turn, a dwarf says the air is "sowled" with soot. I think it's mean to be "soiled".
Really none. It was honestly a bit too easy.
2. I think there were some good ideas here, but it was too ridiculously easy.
This scenario is doing something interesting, trying to mechanically represent this group of people wandering around in the unmapped bowels of the earth, mostly lost and trying to find this needle in a haystack before the whole volcano collapses on them. The randomly expanding lava, Delfador's "homing sense", the randomized map, I like all these things. But the enemies are so ridiculously weak and you start with so much gold that the whole thing is just trivially easy and you don't have much opportunity to really enjoy all the features as you just stroll to victory. I think it could be as simple as giving all the enemy leaders MUCH more starting gold, and maybe also the ability to recruit level-2 units. You should have come out of the last 2 scenarios with a bunch of leveled dwarves, so this scenario could really allow them to shine. I could also see making the terrain 100% cave, like it was in the last scenario, to really force you to lean on your dwarf units before you go back to the surface and can go back to a mostly elf/cavalry army. I also like Lord-Knightmare's suggestion to add in some random cave monsters. A bunch of cave spiders would be AWFUL to deal with, but would also make it a more unique sort of level in the bowels of the earth. The wolf riders, in particular, seem weird to encounter so far underground.
So many. 2 lvl 4's, 15 lvl 3's, 15 lvl 2's, a couple lvl 1's with a lot of xp. One of the things I like about this campaign, given that it is so crazy long, is that it has these specialized levels where large chunks of your recall list are just invalidated, so you don't just charge through the whole game with the same handful of max level units.
Attachments
HttT-The Sceptre of Fire replay 20220419-213629.gz
(70.36 KiB) Downloaded 112 times
lujo86

Post by lujo86 »

Does this bug mean that the sceptre doesn't spawn? Because I've uncovered the whole map and couldn't find it anywhere :( Version 1.16.8.

If yes, is there a workaround?
firebug.jpg
Lord-Knightmare
Discord Moderator
Location: Somewhere in the depths of Irdya, gathering my army to eventually destroy the known world.

Post by Lord-Knightmare »

lujo86 wrote: February 2nd, 2023, 3:32 pm Does this bug mean that the sceptre doesn't spawn? Because I've uncovered the whole map and couldn't find it anywhere :( Version 1.16.8.

If yes, is there a workaround?

firebug.jpg
Save file to troubleshoot?
Creator of "War of Legends"
Creator of the Isle of Mists survival scenario.
Maintainer of Forward They Cried
User:Knyghtmare | My Medium