Scenario 12: Northern Winter

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario 12: Northern Winter

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Difficulty and version? Hardest; 1.9.7
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 3
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fine.
(5) Challenges? Snow limits mobility and ability to form good lines.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 8. Battles with multiple small tricky skirmishes are interesting.
(7) Changes? Ending is anticlimatic. Maybe give each of the enemy leaders a couple of "bodyguards". Reduce turns on hard.

Screenshot and replay attached. I sent my strongest force (about 8 units) due north, with two smaller detachments (4-5 units each) to the northeast and east. The eastern force was the weakest, and that worked out fine. The northeast force was elite (no level 1's) and included a Shyde for wolf disposal duty. Wolf Riders snuck between my thrusts, stealing my villages, but I wasn't worried, as I was able to hunt them down with the Shyde and horse units. For the end game, I decided to milk XP by keeping the enemy leaders alive with one village each. Since I owned nearly all the villages, the gold cost was negligible.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attachments
HttT-Northern_Winter_replay.gz
(74.89 KiB) Downloaded 787 times
ipora

Post by ipora »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Not hard, although I lost two units

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear, kill both leaders

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very good! "Onward I say!" and so on :)

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None at al, but I got a lvl 3 white mage and Delfador slowly walking through the snowed forest in northwest.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
7 - It has a new challenge, as to really split your army, and I was afraid as I didn't have much gold and believed that the Orcs would come with lvl 2 units.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

It's pretty ok, a good chance to level some units and making lots of gold, but in bad moves I lost 2 good units, an Elvish Encantress and an Assassin leveled on this level, I'm sorry for both, specialy cause I lost my Shyde on the Ford, this is my first time roleplayng (not reloading afetr bad thinks happen).
Attachments
(39.98 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.10
Very.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was clear, and okay. Though I thought the dialogue didn't really fit the purpose of the scenario....Konrad is all 'We need to hurry!' when the un-stated purpose of the scenario is xp/gold farming.
None.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? Can't really think of anything right now.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

easy 1.10.2
clear
Idk it didn't really seem like this level had that much importance to the story line, kinda filler.
Holding villages so my weaker units had a chance to catch up, the size of the map and the terrain were my main hindrances.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
none
Fate is against me.
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 1.8.5, 1.10.2 and 1.10.5

For some reason this scenario is usually for me one of the more difficult ones, so 8-10.

Very clear.

While it's not enthralling by any means it picks up a lot and becomes good.

I can't explain really why I find this scenario so difficult as it's never really easy - even though I've noticed it's easier in the later versions than it was in 1.8.5. One reason I think is that the terrain works against the partnership between my Scouts/Riders and Fighters/Heroes/Captains which makes it easier for the Wolf Riders to get around the villages, except in the south east where I partner the Scouts/Riders with Thieves and Rogues. But then again there are no major challenges, because even if the Trolls are on good terrain and hit hard, they're never really that consistent. But like I say, it's a mystery.

5 - mainly because I make this scenario much more like hard work than it should be.

I think this is more down to my abilities and game play more than anything else.
thejasper

Post by thejasper »

1.10.4 med
very
meh
none
The major problem I have with the scenario is the contrast of the snow, which is a graphics issue not gameplay. Other than that, its meant to be a rest for the troops and also for the player. No real pressure but you do get to play. I would actually put in more enemies, if anything.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium Difficulty 1.10.7

Perfectly clear

I liked that they had to stop and rest for the winter, as it is a nice touch of realism, compared to most fantasy stories that seem to ignore all the problems winter brings. The snow slowly covering the map was a nice touch too.

The enemy recruited primarily level 1 units which were drastically outclassed by my units. But they was some interesting behaviors from the wolfriders where a huge swarm of them headed for the villages at the south, and then started attacking me from behind, that caused a few problems.

7. The scenario was basically two concurrent battles. I had my vanguard pushing forward around the map and slaughtering all the orcs guarding the two orc leaders, which was rather boring due to how outclassed the orc forces were, and a second much more fun battle where my weaker rearguard fought a running battle with the hordes of very maneuverable wolf riders trying to attack from behind.

The orcs could use some buffs to the non wolf rider parts of their armies.
kiss

Post by kiss »

Heir to the Throne - Northern Winter - Fighter (Beginner) 1.11.16.
Never played before.

Storyline Winter is here! Cool, some rest near a fire? But, no, hehe. Time to have a fun hunt in the snow?

Events Snow tiles added in the early turns, but not that much.

The map
I hope snow won't cover the villages.
What a wide slow map! A lot of villages all around.

Strategy
Gold shouldn't be an issue here. Build 3 groups for each part of the map, west, center, east.
With so many turns it should be easy to advance a lot of units.

Comments No reload, no restart
I was wrong about the teaming. 3 groups are not needed but rather one for the east part and a bigger one for the west. Near the center of the map east group can be reinforced from the west. I think my first east group was too large and too slow. The result was a poor west group and it cost me.

Such a wide map isn't easy to manage. Version 1.11.16 provides an easy zoom in/out, I've started to use it more often in the previous scenarios. This time it makes me overestimate the opponent.
After few turns, I've had a large, slow and useless southeast group. Some strong units at west in a bad position and a massive attack to handle.
A this time I was sure to loose badly and ... well, let's grabbed informations and restart!
But the battle favors me ...
When I reach the east boss, my first reaction was: what? I'm already here? (zoom in/out effect!)

The result is a Knight loss that can be avoid easily. As expexted, some great unit advancement.

Starting gold+(carried over): 200+(157)/90/110.
Finish turn: 32/50, bonus gold: 612.
Recruit 0: Elvish Archer,Elvish Fighter,Elvish Scout,Elvish Shaman,Horseman,Mage,Mermaid Initiate,Merman Fighter,Merman Hunter, 3 Thief.
Recall 18: Elvish Archer, 1 Elvish Captain, 1 Elvish Druid, 1 Elvish Enchantress,Elvish Fighter,Elvish Hero, 1 Elvish Marksman, 2 Elvish Shaman, 1 Elvish Sorceress, 2 Footpad,Fugitive,Horseman,Knight, 1 Mage,Mermaid Initiate,Mermaid Priestess,Merman Fighter,Merman Hunter,Merman Warrior, 1 Outlaw, 2 Red Mage,Rogue, 3 Thief, 1 Thug, 1 White Mage.

XP tracking.
Arch Mage lvl 3: 1/220
Delfador Elder Mage lvl 5: 183/200
Elvish Captain lvl 2: 39/72
Elvish Druid lvl 2: 49/80, 21/64
Elvish Enchantress lvl 3: 1/180
Kalenz Elvish Lord lvl 2: 62/120
Nioden Elvish Marksman lvl 2: 67/80
Elvish Sylph lvl 4: 1/160
Footpad lvl 1: 19/29
Konrad Lord lvl 3: 60/150
Outlaw lvl 2: 53/62
Rogue lvl 2: 52/56
Elrian Silver Mage lvl 3: 1/150
White Mage lvl 2: 7/109
Moremirmu White Mage lvl 2: 98/136

R.I.P. 6: 1 Elvish Shaman, 1 Footpad, 1 Knight, 1 Rogue, 1 Thief, 1 Thug
Attachments
c1_HttT-Northern_Winter_replay.gz
(84.29 KiB) Downloaded 761 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 380 Gold

My first thought looking at the map & Status Table was that this is Isle of Alduin v2, in that I can treat it as an xp farm. So that's what I did. I estimated a target carryover amount I'd likely be happy with (300) and aimed for that in my village grabbing strategy. I then picked out what units I wanted to level, and went from there.

I had trouble telling if snow was falling, because it creeps up, and I had used only 6mp or greater units. Perhaps the snow should be mentioned in the scenario objective notes.
Attachments
HttT-Northern_Winter_replay-1V0.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(95.83 KiB) Downloaded 731 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1.12.5, medium.

2.5. With the amount of gold I had it was really easy, but even with less gold it wouldn't be much trouble (it would probably be a 3). On the other hand, I was very unlucky (and with average luck it would probably be a 2). So, 2.5.

Clear. Maybe you could add a note about snow falling because I hardly noticed it.

I like that there's more of it than usual and it's done well, especially the intro which sets the atmosphere beautifully, and the end describing how they spent the winter. However, there are some slightly confusing things again (Kalenz being the main culprit):
1) Kalenz, one of the oldest (at least 500 years by now) and wisest elves, is the one who urges everyone to go on, disregarding the dangers of winter. He's been in so many battles until then that he ought to know how dangerous the winter is and how much of a toll it takes on the troops' well-being and morale. The things he says are something I'd expect from someone younger and more brash (i.e. Konrad). It doesn't really fit him.

2) Kalenz tells Konrad: "We are pursued by the forces of your arch-enemy". Li'sar is Konrad's arch-enemy now? They've met her twice and they've barely spoken to her. They haven't even tried to properly talk to her to resolve the issue of whether Konrad is an heir or an imposor. She did set him up with the whole Valley of Death fiasco, but he's not aware of that (at least not if you got Moremirmu). Konrad's attitude towards her implies that he doesn't take her seriously at all. Taking all of that into account, how in the world is she his arch-enemy?

3) Kalenz: "...chasing the sceptre of fire". Bad choice of words. The scepter is not trying to escape them and there's really no reason to assume that it is anything but immobile. It was lost and had been lying at the same place for almost 500 years. For the same reason, urging everyone to make haste makes no sense- no one has taken the scepter for close to 500 years and the edict that says that whoever gets it will be the heir has been around for 40 years. Why does he think that scepter will escape/be taken now if it hadn't happened for such a long time?

4) And what's with his idea that they must get the scepter "lest it fall into the hand of our enemies" and "reach the ancient dwarven lands before our foes do"? Aside from the problems with time noted above, he seems to be implying that Li'sar is also after the scepter, but I've not seen anything that would suggest that. It isn't mentioned anywhere that she's after it or that she even knows that Konrad is after it. Her only intention was consistently to go after Konrad and punish him, not to reach the scepter and/or dwarven lands

Dealing with lousy luck, but nothing inherent in the scenario itself.

9.5. Best so far, leaving some room just in case. Lots of villages, enemies nicely spread around, it's farming heaven. Snowy maps are beautiful and add diversity, and falling snow is an interesting mechanic. I'd have enjoyed it more if I had been more lucky, but I think that this is one of the most best scenarios along with Muff Malal's peninsula. I personally like this one a bit better because it's more aesthetically pleasing and has more potential.

Fixing the dialog a bit and increasing the amount of falling snow so that it's more noticable. I think that that would make it perfect.

Statistics
-starting gold: 427
-no recruits
-recalls(11): Archer, Enchantress, Hero, Ranger (loyal), Rider, Shaman, Outlaw, Mage, Red Mage, White Mage, Rogue (loy)
-turn 5: 1st contact with both blue and green enemies; by then, outlaw and rider were sent straight east from the keep to gather villages, a knight and some elves to the forest between mountains, and everyone else straight north
-turn 7: leveled 3 units in a single turn ^^
-turn 10: luck hasn't been in my favor from the start but I almost rage-quit on this turn: Konrad, druid and a rogue barely manage to kill a grunt; a knight, ranger and an enchantress fail to kill a wolf rider; Kalenz, ranger and a white mage fail to kill an archer :x
-turn 15: it takes a hero, a ranger, an enchantress and a rider to take down a single grunt :evil:
-turn 17: blue leader killed by a druid
-turn 23: green leader killed by enchantress
-no losses, no reloads
-advancements(6): Rogue->Assassin, Hero->Champion, Archer->Ranger, Mage->Red Mage, Red Mage->Silver Mage, Shaman->Druid
-turns taken: 23/40
-end: 783 gold, 45/45 villages
-carryover: a massive 633 :D
-XP:
~1/3: Ranger
~1/2: Enchantress, Red Mage
~2/3: Knight, Ranger, Druid
~3/4: White Mage, Rider
~close: Outlaw
-dmg dealt: -7%
-dmg taken: +11%
-while there have been greater gaps in luck, it was on early scenarios with very few battles where even just one extra hit or miss can greatly shift the stats; this scenario my luck has been just awful as one can see even without looking at the status table
Attachments
(79.4 KiB) Downloaded 740 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Beginner

- Simple, kill the orcs

- Nice touch of revelation of gryphlets being born and so, though it isn't too special

- Moving my non-quick units, snow and when green leader started spawning his minions endlessly

- None to think
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

[quote="Content Feedback" post_id=118518 time=1133971679 user_id=123454]
easy 1.12.6
clear
the snow falling and konrad rushing didn't make much sense, i think there was more snow terrain but it was pretty irrelevant to the steamroller
not falling asleep as i killed them all without loss on first try
well it's fun to have an easy ride, nice break, i wonder if it means the next scen is a killer
[/quote]
01/01/01
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.0, Champion (Challenging)

Clear.

Clear.

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Attachments
HttT-Northern Winter replay.gz
(49.35 KiB) Downloaded 421 times
Poison

Post by Poison »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14,7, Champion (Challenging), 346 starting gold

Clear.

Clear.

Surviving in the right side where you need some advanced units

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Attachments
HttT-Northern Winter replay Poison.gz
(55.41 KiB) Downloaded 579 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:07 pm (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.14.9 Challenging (in Ironman mode), played at least twice
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:07 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2, this is a scenario for training and gold - I didnt know how much gold I needed so I collected a lot
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:07 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:07 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:07 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not getting bored too much.
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:07 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
2, its mostly a chore due to the large size and it not being challenging
Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:07 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I dont know. I think this (easy chore scenario for training) is more a general Wesnoth/campaign design issue than a scenario issue.
Attachments
HttT-Northern Winter replay.gz
(81.86 KiB) Downloaded 400 times