Scenario 16: Hasty Alliance

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

BigCheese

Re: Scenario Review: Httt - Hasty Alliance

Post by BigCheese »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
medium, 1.7.2

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
good

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
to recruit the right units; to bring enough promoted dwarfs from the former scenario

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
10, action right from the start, yay

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
none
Cornuthaum

Post by Cornuthaum »

Medium, 1.6.5

2 - Dwarven Steelclads + Lord Konrad + some healing = Fun.

Don't get killed. Well, duh.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
"Surprise! Die, you sun-lovers!" - That was so cheesy I had to snicker. And Li'Sar was awfully quick to accede to a non-aggression pact, given her singleminded quest to eradicate Konrad so far.

Killstealing from Li'Sar's people.

7 - A honest, no-surprises slugging match against big chunks of experience (also known as level 3 trolls)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None.
Sam-Lloyd

Post by Sam-Lloyd »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.8.1

Clear

Good enough

Find out about the use of my new unit Dwarvish guardmen. Made me go back to the previous scenario to get the bonus for this unit.

Quite ok
Attachments
HttT-Hasty_Alliance_replay.gz
(47.16 KiB) Downloaded 815 times
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

No problem.

Li'Sar should have been a little more reluctant, but otherwise solid.

Li'Sar not doing something stupid, but that's infrequent. Stealing experience from Li'Sar's troops. Leveling a Guardsman.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?

Make the stream of enemy units more regular. It's epic win for a few rounds, but then the enemy is beaten and it's just up to us to finish it. Also players might not notice that they are now in "deepest" darkness (or whatever), for an even steeper penalty to lawful units.
roman_sharp

Post by roman_sharp »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.8.3

6, Normal

Clear

Good.

Defense against first trolls attack

None
GagarinGambit

Re: Scenario 16: Hasty Alliance

Post by GagarinGambit »

Hard 1.8.4

4. At first glance keeping alive all the key characters during the first assault looks like a nightmare, but with careful recruitment and positioning it's no big deal.

Crystal

It's fine. I get the feeling that, in general, the dialogue is significantly improved during the last few scenarios (without actually being good, but it's definitely not below par, unlike other scenarios).

None.

6, above average

I'd probably give a few extra starting troops to the orcs or I'd have a second attack wave follow the first, in order to make it more challenging.
Linux. Space technology.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

1.9.4, Normal

Starts as a 5 due to the large number of enemies nearby. Once the initial wave has been dealt with the rest is a walk in the park… er, cave, so 1

Clear

Fine

Main challenge: Keeping Li’sar alive, as too little depended on me
Second challenge: Avoiding losses due to the large number of heavy hitters among the enemy.

7 – due to the large number of strong enemies every mistake could cost me, but that made things more fun for me

I think it’s fine as it is.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No
Attachments
(50.47 KiB) Downloaded 954 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Faello

Post by Faello »

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 474 starting gold

This scenario doesn't require much of the tactical feedback - initial phase of the battle (first few turns) is tricky because player needs to make himself a space for a safe recruitment = he needs to kill all enemy units that press him since turn 1, which is achievable by recruiting a high level elites, but after that it gets much easier, since Li'sar takes a lot of heavy fighting on herself.

Finished this one in turn 13/27.

0 losses, 13 kills.

Crystal clear.

It was fine.

Eliminating the firstwave of attackers without any losses.

It's an ok scenario, but nothing really worth to remember.

I don't think that anything can be done, whole concept of this scenario is only slightly above average, thus any minor changes won't do magic.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

1 restart.

Replay attached:
Attachments
Hasty Alliance replay, Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(56.13 KiB) Downloaded 864 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

1.9.7 Champion - Challenging

Very clear.

Wasn't bad. Gotta love enemies forced to fight together. Li'sar sure is annoying though sometimes, to be honest. Though I imagine she's meant to be. Also, why can she recruit ogres now and when she joins you, no more ogres?

That initial onslaught is a bit rough. Tough to keep from losing people.

Maybe just go ahead and give the player control of Li'sar along with her units.
Attachments
(42.68 KiB) Downloaded 789 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Difficulty and version? Hardest; 1.9.7
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 5
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Fickle Li'sar feels contrived. She switches from enemy to life-long ally here.
(5) Challenges? The first couple of turns are tense. Delfador almost bit it.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 7
(7) Changes? The end game needs some help, maybe bodyguards for the enemy leader or a whole swarm of Blood Bats emerging from the abyss in the middle.

Screenshot and replay attached.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attachments
(58.66 KiB) Downloaded 718 times
Creativity

Post by Creativity »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy, 1.10
5-6
Clear.
It was pretty good, I can't think of any problems with it.
Li'sar decided it was a grrreeeaaat idea move from around my keep(around turn 5-7) to attack one of the 4 Lv2 Trolls surrounding her keep(I was taking care of them, slowly). I tried everything, including putting units in her keep to block it. After reloading over and over(and getting defeated every time because of her) I finally got sick of it and went to debug and gave her 1000hp :oops:
Make Li'sar less cavalier with her life. :) Also, after you've defeated the first waves you can just run up and kill the leader without much opposition. Maybe put some guardian trolls around the villages near his castle.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

easy 1.10.2
clear
Somehow i knew from the start that i would be teaming up with lisar- it was inevitable.
The troll's "trolololo" regen.
9 I like how it is an all-out slug fest between heavy hitters. Lots of testosterone.
No change
Fate is against me.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Quite clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear yes, interesting not. I suppose we fall for this old trend about nasty, treacherous foes - guys get to be enemies till the very end, girls are bond for a turn... No matter how treacherous and nasty they were, girls always get to jump into the winning side. Cheap.
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The start is a tough one. Afterwards, it's easy peasy.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I suppose there's not much that can be changed about the alliance with Li'sar developing - it's kind of integral to the plot.
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 1.8.5, 1.10.2 and 1.10.5

Between a 7 and a 10. The opening is very luck dependent with a good chance that you'll be defeated before you can do much about it.

Very clear.

It's getting better.

I could say the opening, but it's not really a challenge if you can't really respond to it, can you? But if you do, I think it's deciding whether to make impact or faerie fire your choice of main damage dealing weapon.

5 - not that much fun, because despite the tense opening this scenario peters out rather quickly and once you get moving your enemies go from Goblin Knights and Trolls to Bats.

More consistency with the enemies because again, it's one more scenario without much opportunity to develop your gameplay.
thejasper

Post by thejasper »

1.10.4 med
very
Bats. These things seem overpowered for level 1 troops. Also, the ulfserker. I'm trying to level him, but he can't even stand against a bat. This guy is just made to die.
Once you break the initial onslaught there is little left to do. I'd make it a bit longer, more fight at the end. Otoh, that might make the campaign drag out...on the gripping hand, why play a campaign if you want a quickie?