Scenario 16: Hasty Alliance

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Linthar

Re: Scenario 16: Hasty Alliance

Post by Linthar » July 9th, 2014, 7:25 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium Difficulty 1.10.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Quite clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
This was the first scenario in a while that really felt like it was advancing the plotline, after a long series of scenarios that were more slowly traveling across half of Wesnoth to reach the Sceptre of fire, which was nice. The alliance though while understandable feels kind of abrupt. It goes from I'm going to kill you to I guess we'll team up in just four lines of dialog, and it really feels like there should be more tension between Li'sar and the other characters given their history.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The scenario wasn't all that difficult other then surviving the first few turns. However it took me a number of attempts due to bad luck on my first attempt. On my first attempt Li'sar had terrible luck and her army collapsed almost instantly, so I spent several attempts after that thinking I need to kill all the units attacking me very fast so I can save her, and that made it impossible to play safely, and I would get my own army killed. Once I realized that normally Li'sar can survive fine on her own I won easily on my first attempt by playing things safe. Oh and I also had a good deal of difficulty in those failed attempts from bats flying in from out of sight to exploit holes in my defenses and kill wounded units that were positioned to be safe from all the trolls. Once I took things slower though I was able to better protect against them.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8. A short intense fight that is over before it has the chance to wear out it's welcome.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
It's pretty much fine as it is.

kiss

Post by kiss » October 18th, 2014, 10:44 am

Heir to the Throne - Hasty Alliance - Fighter (Beginner) 1.11.16.
Never played before.

Storyline
"Li'sar: En garde!" funny to read this now. I'm sure they'll end hand in hand.

Events

The map a small map but 33 turns?

Strategy
Difficult to say something in that case. Find a good first team seems very important, Dwarvish Guardsman?

CommentsNo reload, no restart
Dwarvish Guardsman have done the job, but what a shame to recall Enchantress! She was so slow ...
I don't know why I've started that race? There is no obvious reason to do that.

Bingo! They cooperate.

Starting gold+(carried over): 200+(558)/400/100.
Finish turn: 15/33, bonus gold: 188.
Recruit 9:Dwarvish Fighter, 9 Dwarvish Guardsman,Dwarvish Thunderer,Elvish Archer,Elvish Fighter,Elvish Scout,Elvish Shaman,Horseman,Mage,Mermaid Initiate,Merman Fighter,Merman Hunter,Thief.
Recall 5: 1 Dwarvish Fighter, 1 Dwarvish Thunderer,Elvish Archer,Elvish Captain, 2 Elvish Druid, 1 Elvish Enchantress,Elvish Fighter,Elvish Hero,Elvish Marksman,Elvish Shaman,Elvish Sorceress,Footpad,Fugitive,Horseman,Knight,Mage,Mermaid Initiate,Mermaid Priestess,Merman Fighter,Merman Hunter,Merman Warrior,Outlaw,Red Mage,Rogue,Thief,Thug,White Mage.

XP tracking.
Dwarvish Guardsman lvl 1: 4/38, 17/47, 16/47, 16/47, 12/38, 7/38
Dwarvish Thunderguard lvl 2: 10/76
Delfador Elder Mage lvl 5: 86/240
Elvish Druid lvl 2: 21/64
Elvish Enchantress lvl 3: 43/180
Kalenz Elvish Lord lvl 2: 95/120
Elvish Shyde lvl 3 28/150
Konrad Lord lvl 3: 136/150

R.I.P. 2: 1 Dwarvish Fighter, 4 Dwarvish Guardsman
Attachments
c1_HttT-Hasty_Alliance_replay.gz
(82.58 KiB) Downloaded 125 times

SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon » March 18th, 2016, 5:22 am

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 495 gold

Looking at the wml, maybe li'sar's behavior could be altered instead of chance-to-hit.

Guardsmen are solid here. Was going to do xp farming, but Li'sar's troops killed the Troll. Oh well, I got enough xp for my quick guardsmen.
Attachments
HttT-Hasty_Alliance_replay-T15-1V0.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(98.04 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
Last edited by SigurdFireDragon on March 27th, 2016, 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg » March 26th, 2016, 7:22 pm

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.12.5., medium.

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5. The opening can be difficult but after the first 3-4 turns it's relatively easy.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear as a day.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It's alright and I have a few complaints as usual but they are relatively minor this time:
1) Konrad: "What in the world are you doing here?" - he seems surprised but not threatened in the least; as I said before, it seems that he sees her as little more than a clingy nuisance (he should feel threatened considering that she is a capable general and is chasing him wherever he goes with a huge army).
2) Li'sar: "Tracking you down, of course! You have escaped me for the last time!" - detective in a parody of crime TV series Li'sar, the most capable commander in Wesnoth.
3) Li'sar says she'll get the scepter even though there were no mentions of her wanting to get it so far.
4) Both sides accept cooperation a little too quickly
But, as I said, these are relatively minor.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Positioning units on the 1st and 2nd turn so as to avoid any casualties.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
5. Nothing special.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I don't really know... to me, cave scenarios are intrinsically boring. Maybe having more villages because this one really does a number on your gold. It is inevitable that your income will go into the red and you have practically no way of dealing with that. Then again, I understand the need for cutting down the player's gold to prevent him from gaining momentum and ending up with obscene amounts of it. In short, I'm not sure what could be done.

An assortment of data:
-starting gold: 717
-recruits(3): 3x Guardsman
-recalls(5): Bandit(loyal), Druid, Fighter, Steelclad, Thunderguard
-turn 1: I have to move vital units away from enemies which means moving them south- dealing with the goblin knight would be a good idea; I spawned some of the tougher units and moved Konrad to the south, exposing him and Delfy a bit so they could act as a bait without being in serious risk; Li'sar sends 2 royal guards to attack enemies on my side, preventing them from reaching my units from more than 2 hexes; she got lucky and both of them survived so I'll be able to put them to good use :twisted:
-turn 2: Delfy softens an enemy which then gets killed, along with another one that royal guards wounded on the previous turn; I get more units, along with a druid for healing; I'm not much concerned about positioning my units because there are wounded royal guards which will make better targets; my plans are foiled when the enemies go after my relatively healthy thunderguard, ignoring a 3 HP royal guard; despite the odds, the thunderguard prevails and the enemies turn to the royal guard and kill him (funnily enough, not the one with 3 HP- that one still lives)
-turn 3: cleaned up most of the enemies on my side, leveling a bandit and a druid to level 3 and getting some nice XP for other units as well
-turn 4: sending most of my units north; main characters along with 2 other units go east to help Li'sar; it's mostly easy from here on out
-mostly rotating my units and trying to funnel XP to guardsmen (at times even using Delfy's melee against trolls if he's not in danger of dying)
-turn 9: threatening the keep in hopes of luring the leader away from a guardsman who could die if hit (which would be a shame because he's got good XP)
-turn 11: my steelclad could die if 2 trolls hit 4/4 but it was an acceptable risk in my opinion as he is on 60% def.
-turn 13: a shyde slows the leader and steelclad kills him
-turns taken: 13/30
-no losses, no reloads
-advancements(6): Fighter->Steelclad, Druid->Shyde, Bandit->Highwayman, 3x Guardsman->Stalwart
-end: 481 gold, 5/5 villages
-carryover: 240
-XP: Thunderguard (1/3), Stalwart (1/4), Steelclad (2/5), Stalwart (1/2), Steelclad (close)
-dmg dealt: +15%
-dmg taken: -1%
Attachments
HttT-Hasty_Alliance_replay.gz
(83.32 KiB) Downloaded 78 times