Scenario 13: Dwarven Doors

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

rbwl1234

Re: Scenario 13: Dwarven Doors

Post by rbwl1234 »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
easy because i have not played long. I have played only on the Itouch, (latest version)

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
possibly a 7
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
extramely clear basicly. It told and showed you, great idea
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Wll, not very interesting, but this is a strategy game not a soap opra, though some people on the add ons want it to be (I am noyt critecizing I could never make one)
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Well throughout the game, I have been trying to deal with the fact that you have to level up your army. I understand this is important, however the enemies recruiting 2cd and 3rd levelers make the game very difficult espiecially the fact that 3 leaders are attempting to kill you
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
maybe 5 due to the fact that the level 2 and 3 people
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Well, since part in the dialog, (the battle's inside the tunnels were worse) or something along those lines wiuld mean that the orcs took the underground. What if a leader was an dwarf dragon guard or steelclad who would basicly fight against the orcs. Then they could lead to some decision making such as in the eastern guard (i think thats the name) where you have to chose eather the robbers or the elfs.
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.7 Champion - Challenging

Very clear. Until it wasn't anymore. :) I did appreciate Haldiel's suggestion of scouting ahead to see if the doors were sealed... but I didn't do it soon enough, haha. trekking through the mountains is slow going, I didn't gauge it properly, had to restart around turn 8 and send Konrad directly to the secret entrance. and still just BARELY made it in time.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I liked the sea monster guarding the sealed door a la Moria. All he needed to do was eat a donkey named Bill and it would've been perfect. :)

See above.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None. It was my own fault for allowing my scouts to get sidetracked with battle before reaching the doors.
Attachments
HttT-The_Dwarven_Doors_replay.gz
(49.02 KiB) Downloaded 822 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Difficulty and version? Hardest; 1.9.7
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 8, for a mostly run strategy
(3) Objectives? Tricky (since there are two possible exits).
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? Not losing any loyal units. Kalenz tends to cause the orcs to make walking corpse style suicide attacks.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 8
(7) Changes? None.

Screenshot and replay attached. The big question in this scenario is how long to recruit. Time is tight, but the enemy forces must be dealt with. Perhaps it was a mistake, but I decided to recruit just two rounds and make a run for it. The second round was all speedy units, so that they would quickly catch up. Healing was important, so I took a Mage of Light, White Mage, and Shyde. My loyal Paladin, Haldil, got cut off in the west, but a Shyde rescued him. Once at the pillar fortress, Konrad recruited Elvish Fighters and other units, perhaps most importantly an additional Horseman to go scout out one of the exits. It wasn't my plan to form defensive lines using the whole ruined castle, but it worked out that way since Konrad's path north was blocked and I wanted him to keep recruiting while he waited to run. A horseman found the east entrance was clear, so Konrad ran there.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attachments
(67.29 KiB) Downloaded 797 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

easy 1.10.2
Kind of clear, the objectives told me to go to the dwarven doors, and i did see the hidden entrance to the east, but i thought it was just a prop, so i could not risk checking it out. If i had known that i could have gone in there instead, it would have made the scenario a lot easier.
It was pretty cool, learning about some dawrven history.
I didn't know that you could recruit at the pillars, because they were broken and stuff, so i just raced past. This was probably the reason for me getting bogged down at the very last turn and having to re-load about 5 times before i could make it in the doors without someone important dying.
Maybe make it more clear through the dialog that there is a secret entrance, and that it is not just a prop.
Fate is against me.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The time pressure is stressing in high. Managed to get Konrad to the gates after killing the three orcish leaders tough.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8. Quite fun. Being fast enough, you can avoid most of the orcs of the souteast and southwest - or you can choose to fight them.
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 1.8.5, 1.10.2 and 1.10.5

Meeting the scenario objectives - 6 but not losing good units, 8.

Very clear.

Interesting enough. Felt sorry for the Cuttlefish stuck in a lake on its own. I think I'd be upset too if i only had Orcish Archers and Wolf Riders for companionship.

I first got this far in the campaign after playing Liberty and AOI so rushing through a scenario quickly and adopting a 'hit and run' strategy came in handy here. I think the main challenge is not allowing any of your enemies to draw you into a conflict.

9 - it's actually quite a lot of fun especially trying to get a Wolf Rider close enough to the Cuttlefish.

None.
StandYourGround
Location: On a blue ball spinning through space at incomprehensible speed

Post by StandYourGround »

There's a mistake in the dialogue. The prologue says something along the lines of the idea that Delfador insisted so much on moving on, that the party had to continue the quest despite the winter not fully abating. This is fine, except that the previous scenario made it clear that Delfador insisted on resting, and it was Kalenz who insisted on moving on.

I will now resume lurking silently.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium Difficulty 1.10.7

Mostly clear. The scenario hints that only one of the two doors will work and I didn't have trouble realizing that, but I could see it being a point of confusion.

Fairly interesting.

The time limit is pretty tight. It only took my 9 turns out of 20 to reach the doors but that was because my strategy was basically to recall only knights and do a full sprint to the end not stopping to fight anything other then what was purely necessary. In the end my small force was rather fragmented, as several units got used as decoys, but I got to the destination before anyone died. On my first attempt I tried to actually fight my way through the enemy and there was nowhere near enough time to make such a strategy work.

7. It was a nice change of pace from the usual prolonged engagements you face in the game.

It's fine as it is.
kiss

Post by kiss »

Heir to the Throne - Dwarven Doors - Fighter (Beginner) 1.11.16.
Never played before.

Storyline
I like this one. Each one has his own idea, but the most important is to escape. Ok, let's do that. But the incoming Footpad changes all. Her uncle is in a village and he can help to escape with carts? Well ... escape, search the uncle ...
It's perfect!

Events +Footpad.

The map
One opened door, one closed. Which one is the good one?
Pillars of the Thunedain? What is that? Why no one talk about it?
I dislike that map, it seems full trapped!
I hope I understand it well ...

Strategy
Send a rider as suggested may be suicidal.
The Pillars can be a good first target.
One recruitment to build a small troop and rush for the Pillars!

Comments No reload, no restart
The Pillars a legendary place? Nothing more than a ruin!
Perhaps the most funny way I've used to win a scenario!

Only a restart of the last couple of turn, I've reached the door to be sure I've understood it was the good one and then played it as needed.

Bye bye uncle, next time perhaps ...

Starting gold+(carried over): 200+(612)/100/75/30.
Finish turn: 9/26, bonus gold: 471.
Recruit 6: Elvish Archer,Elvish Fighter,Elvish Scout,Elvish Shaman,Horseman,Mage,Mermaid Initiate,Merman Fighter,Merman Hunter, 6 Thief.
Recall 0: Elvish Archer,Elvish Captain,Elvish Druid,Elvish Enchantress,Elvish Fighter,Elvish Hero,Elvish Marksman,Elvish Shaman,Elvish Sorceress,Footpad,Fugitive,Horseman,Knight,Mage,Mermaid Initiate,Mermaid Priestess,Merman Fighter,Merman Hunter,Merman Warrior,Outlaw,Red Mage,Rogue,Thief,Thug,White Mage.

XP tracking.
Delfador Elder Mage lvl 5: 1/240
Kalenz Elvish Lord lvl 2: 68/120
Footpad lvl 1: 0/29
Haldiel Grand Knight lvl 3: 14/150
Konrad Lord lvl 3: 86/150
Thief lvl 1: 0/28

R.I.P. 5: 5 Thief
Attachments
c1_HttT-The_Dwarven_Doors_replay.gz
(68.31 KiB) Downloaded 690 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 512 Gold

Having come from Isles of the Damned, the Uncle is available to be found here.

With my first attempt, I thought it would be good to meet the initial wave of orcs by the forest and take them out. That didn't work, as I underestimated how much force I would need to accomplish that. Also, I had a Fugitive to grab villages to look for the Uncle. I got bogged down by the enemy forces, got careless, and then defeated.

2nd attempt: I'm thinking I've got 512 gold, there's got to be a good way to win this. Oh wait, that's the wrong question. I'm playing on Medium, and with no carryover, you'd have 200 gold. So, 'How do I win this with only 200 gold?' Answer, sacrifice Elvish archers as blockers in the forests, and have knights & a Shyde to defend and support Konrad & team. That went according to plan. As I didn't know where the Uncle was, I had my loyal fugitive prepare to do village grabbing behind enemy lines again, but this time the orcs went after him. I was hoping to get to the doors before he was killed, and was prepared to restart from the beginning if he died, but he managed to hold on and wipe out the four orcs. I lucked out a little bit, and found the Uncle near the middle of the map, and he told me which path was open. (Though I should have sent a 11mp Elvish Rider to check both before finding him).

I thought the dialog & story was good here.

I think the difficulty is fine on this board, scenarios where it's useful to take an approach other than kill all the enemy leaders are appropriate for a game where you play the role of a battle commander.
Attachments
HttT-The_Dwarven_Doors_replay-T9-2V0.gz
1.12.5 Normal (Victory)
(84.76 KiB) Downloaded 668 times
HttT-The_Dwarven_Doors_replay-1D0.gz
1.12.5 Normal (Defeat)
(83.51 KiB) Downloaded 675 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1.12.5, medium.

5. It wasn't too dificult, but it was more challenging than the last 3 scenarios.

Clear.

Clear and I like a bit of history with those pillars. I'm not sure if similarities with the Lord of the Rings are intentional or not- trying to get to the ancient kingdom of dwarves but the gates are closed and there's a giant squid in the lake in front of the entrance... Even the name Thunedain sound like Dunedain... Anyways, I suppose it's alright if it's supposed to be an homage or something :)

Trying to divide my units well enough to deal with all 3 enemies.

4. I'm not sure why exactly but I just don't like this one...

Make it so that killing all enemy leaders ends the scenario. In my first playthrough I went for killing all leaders, but it occured to me (just in time) that defeating them might not result in victory, so I sent Konrad towards the exit. If I hadn't had that idea, I would've killed everyone and Konrad would be stuck too far to reach the exit in time.

Anyways, I played it two times. The first time I decided to kill everyone because, well, I could :twisted: . My carryover wasn't really big (at least I thought so, considering that carryover was ~350 and I started with over 700 and defeated everyone). So, I tried it the second time, now rushing towards the exit. I finished a few turns earlier and had more gold to for the next scenario, but the difference wasn't as big as I expected. Fortunately, I didn't repeat the mistake from the Valley of Death where I won the scenario 3 times but had only one replay- I have both here! ^^ If only I'd been smart enough to save my last turns- next scenario start from my 1st try got overwriten with the 2nd one, so I could only continue from my 2nd attempt :doh: . So, these are the notes for the 2nd attempt (though I'll provide both replays):

-starting gold: 833
-no recruits
-recalls(5): Hero (loyal), Scout, Rider, Knight, Red Mage; +Haldiel and an outlaw recalled automatically
-turn 3: got a Bandit from a village
-turn 4: first contact with the enemies; a Hero and a Red Mage hold the western orcs on the south; Kalenz holds the northern part of western forces by himself (with great defense in forest and strong attack on both ranges he can manage); most other units are holding off eastern orcs; Konrad goes north
-turn 6: Konrad had been intercepted by northern orcs so I release the kraken to mess them up; situation on west & east mostly resolved
-turn 7: Delfador and 2 other units in the middle of the map are in a slightly risky situation but as long as luck is relatively fair, it should be ok
-turn 8: situation from the previous turn neatly resolved ^^
-turn 11: some final village grabbing and Konrad reaches the entrance
-no losses, no reloads, 2 attempts total
-advancements(3): Scout->Rider, Red Mage->Silver Mage, Knight->Grand Knight
-turns taken: 11/20
-end: 773 gold, 16/22 villages
-carryover: 396
-XP: Rider at 1/3; Hero at 1/2; Bandit, Outlaw, Rider close
-dmg dealt: +2%
-dmg taken: -5%

Here are the replays; I think that the first one is much more interesting (because it has more battles) and overall better to continue from (more XP which compensates for the lack of gold), but I continue from the 2nd one due to aformentioned reasons.
Attachments
HttT-The_Dwarven_Doors_replay2.gz
2nd attempt, continued from
(74.51 KiB) Downloaded 727 times
1st attempt, all enemies defeated
(79.87 KiB) Downloaded 649 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Beginner

- Clear, move Konrad to the Dwarven doors

- Interesting it is. I like how Delfador tells the others about the ruins halfaway to the Dwarven doors. Funny enough, we get to see Li'sar on our backs.

- Trying to survive orcs swarming me

- Dunno, possibly an ambush of either of the gates?
mxb2001

Post by mxb2001 »

Content Feedback wrote: December 7th, 2005, 4:06 pm (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1. Easy 1.12
2. 8
3. Move your king to door hex
4. There was a typo in lisar's speech at end she said make when it should be made we made it not we make it through as she was speaking of a past event. Interesting story and goal, run the gauntlet : )
5. Making sure the shock elvish fighter recruits got killed and not my loyal or high lvl troops was nerve wracking.
6. 10 gauntlet runs are always a blast
7. Give us 110% coach! More than a 10? ; )
01/01/01
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

mxb2001 wrote: March 17th, 2019, 3:09 am 4. There was a typo in lisar's speech at end she said make when it should be made we made it not we make it through as she was speaking of a past event.
Thanks. I've added this to https://wiki.wesnoth.org/SpellingMistakes for you. It should be fixed in 1.14.8 (string freeze for 1.14.7 has already started).
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.0, Champion (Challenging)

Clear.

Clear.

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.
Attachments
HttT-The Dwarven Doors replay.gz
(49.7 KiB) Downloaded 463 times