Scenario 10: Gryphon Mountain

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

chaoticwanderer

Re: Scenario Review: HttT - Gryphon Mountain

Post by chaoticwanderer »

(1) 1.4.3 Normal
(2)5; Not very hard.
(3) Okay, this is what got me. The objectives were not explicit. First off, one of the objectives was to kill the mother gryphon, meaning if you failed, you would lose, which wasn't the case. It was like a bonus. Second off, it wasn't clear that the enemies were also trying to kill the gryphons. By the time I realised that, it was too late. I had to restart.
(4) This was all clear
(5) Keeping my key units from getting swarmed and killed by enemies.
(6) 7
(7) Well, I think it would make sense if the gryphons attacked units who attacked them. What I mean is a sleeping gryphon was awoken by an enemy swordsman, but then on his turn he flew and attacked one of my mages, even though my troops hadn't done anything.
The RNG helps those who help themselves.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

While it would make sense, I also think it makes sense that it is driven into a rage and attacks whatevers around. Also, attacking weaker things kinda makes sense to an animalistic instinct.
Anonymissimus
Inactive Developer

Post by Anonymissimus »

the ai generally attacks that unit that it is most likely able to kill on that turn
to make the gryphons attack your enemy, make it impossible to reach your weak units by placing elvish archers (level 1 is enough) on wood hexes in front of them, for example
the result of this scenario also largely depends on chance...sometimes your enemy recruits to many ogres and you can't hinder it from killing the mother gryphon...
projects (BfW 1.12):
A Simple Campaign: campaign draft for wml startersPlan Your Advancements: mp mod
The Earth's Gut: sp campaignSettlers of Wesnoth: mp scenarioWesnoth Lua Pack: lua tags and utils
updated to 1.8 and handed over: A Gryphon's Tale: sp campaign
Grisogonus

Post by Grisogonus »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

(1) Medium difficulty, version 1.6.1.
(2) 5 - easy one.
(3) I wasn't sure about those eggs, it should be clearer when do I get them, and when not.
(4) Very nice idea with the gryphons and their holy mountain...
(5) Killing gryphon mother before those orcs, orcs themselves weren't much of a challenge with many lvl 3 units I brought from previous scenarios.
(6) 8 - very fun layout, and a good idea with gryphons guarding their holy mountain, it need more work though to become great.
(7) Gryphons should be stronger, not to be dealt with so easily.
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
medium. 1.7
defeat both leaders.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
very clear.
killing the lead gryphon before the enemy ogres could.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
maybe let Konrad start closer to the gryphons?
My strategy was to have my main force go along the right side, some elf heroes and fighter go up the left side, have my elf outrider to take out the mother gryphon, and use a silver mage to reinforce anywhere needed.
potatomanjack

Post by potatomanjack »

Medium

3 - Pretty easy

Not as clear as they could be. The objective just say to kill the orcs and the gryphons. They don't say anything about not letting the orcs kill the gryphons, so my first time through, I figured I'd just let the orcs do the dirty work for me. I had to restart when I found out I needed to cast the killing blow in order to get the bonus.

It was fine

I guess getting the gryphons first, but that wasn't very hard

5 - a nice easy one with a traditional 'kill em all' objective after the previous couple

Maybe make the gryphons a bit stronger, seeing 1-2 orcs kill all of them was a bit disapointing.
----
"Work is the scourge of the drinking class." ~Oscar Wilde
scorchgeek

Post by scorchgeek »

Orcs? Do you mean the loyalist group?
scott wrote:...
1) Medium, 1.6.2
2) 2. The mountains were annoying but both enemies were easy kills and a good source of XP.
3) Clear.
4) Good. Only problem was the lack of explanation for the fact that your attack would be lost upon awaking a gryphon. I assumed it would wake up and then your unit would attack.
5) Nothing. It was all quite easy.
6) 7. Nice not to have a big challenge after the preceding levels.
7) Nothing, except the sleeping thing mentioned earlier. No ideas for how to work it in, though.
If 'con' is the opposite of 'pro', what is the opposite of progress?
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

medium, 1.7.2

6; if you want the griffon eggs, 4 if you don't

kill the enemy leader - clear
get the griffon eggs - not 100% clear (objectives should tell you: kill the griffon mother to get the eggs; moving on the egg tile/hex does nothing)

ok

killing the griffon mother before the AI and not losing a valuable unit in the slow movement terrain while rushing to the griffon mother.

8; I like the "look" and possibilities of the map; the huge mountain/hill region allowing to outmaneuver the heavy infantry and archers.

none, perhaps some dialogue from the human leader why they are there going after the griffon.
Attachments
HttT-Gryphon_Mountain_replay.gz
(33.63 KiB) Downloaded 845 times
Bastormonger

Post by Bastormonger »

1) 1.6.5. and easy (though I consider restarting the campaign because it is too much so :wink: )
2) 3 Pretty easy once I realized I was in a hurry killing the Mother Gryphon
3) The egg-objective wasn't clear. I thought I could just slaughter everything that moves and then pick up the eggs from the nest, so I had to restart.
I think it should be mentioned that the eggs are rewarded for killing the Mother Gryphon.
4) Except for the point mentioned above, pretty clear
5) Killing the Mother Gryphon before the enemy does (esp. so, as I tend to very carefully set up my troops into a proper formation before rushing in)
6) 8 Generally, I liked it very much. The gryphons guarding their mountain is a nice idea.
7) I'd make the gryphons tougher, maybe also the whole scenario a little bigger.

So, that's for that, but I originally wanted to post because I had a problem with that scenario: after I restarted due to them killing the Mother Gryphon before me, I killed it first and yet, I can't recruit gryphon riders in the following scenarios (As of now, I'm in "Northern Winter"). :(
Does anyone have an idea why I can't recruit them?

Thanks in advance for helping
silent

Post by silent »

Bastormonger: It takes a while before you can recruit gryphons, I think you cannot recruit them until a certain point (scenario 14/15 abouts, you're probably at around 11-12), which they are still useless until at least scenario 18
Bastormonger

Post by Bastormonger »

Thanks for the info, Silent - so it seems I was just too impatient :wink:
Cornuthaum

Post by Cornuthaum »

1.6.5, Medium

7 - I had hoped for a breather after the Valley of Death, but trying to get to the Gryphon Mother before the Loyalists was horrible. The mop-up, not so much.

Clear enough. Go forth and kill everything.

"Oh look, giant birds. Let's kill them and steal their eggs so we can use them for our war later." - Understandable, Close Air Support is always good to have :D

Getting to the Mother Gryphon - and killing her - before the foe uses his limitless supply of level 2 troops to instantly annihilate her.

6 - After the frantic defense in VoD, this falls short :/

Seal off the mountain barrier -completely- and don't give the enemy an all-hill easy mode route into the Gryphon lair. The player-side terrain is already ridiculously unfavourable, so it frustrated me greatly to see them stroll into the place where I had to spend two turns crawling over mountains :(
edit: Changing it so that if the AI wakes up the sleeping gryphons, the AI gets attacked, NOT the player -.-
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I recommend using flyers to harass properly to ensure your heavy hitters get there in time.
Foxxpaw

Post by Foxxpaw »

1.6.5 easy/medium and 1.7.15-1.8rc1 medium

Easy - 3
Medium - 10 (trying to kill the mother gryphon) or 2 (just killing the loyalists)

Very clear.

Overall, mediocre. It's clear enough and on easy, it's simple. so far, impossible to follow on medium.

Easy: Killing the mother gryphon while simultaneously defending your rear flank from the enemy troops trying to get to the mother gryphon as well.
Meduim: Getting to the mother gryphon.

Easy: 5 (good, even match to get to the mother gryphon.)
Medium: 3 (I understand it's a race to get to the mother gryphon but to have the gryphon fly into the enemy troops is a little bit unfair, especially with the terrain that you have to cross to get up the mountain.)

-Dialogue...I had been under the impression that even if the loyalists DO kill the mother gryphon, you can simply walk over the nest and pick up the eggs (after all, there ARE eggs left in the nest when the mother gryphon leaves). Specify that the eggs go to whoever kills the mother gryphon FIRST.

-Dialogue...It was said that the gryphons could prove dangerous, though they were easily killed by my lancer and sharpshooter.

-Mother Gryphon... Why, exactly, does the mother gryphon fly into the enemy troops on medium? on turn one, she flies towards the enemy. turn two, she's attacked by the enemy and flies into a group of 2 and is done in on turn 3 WAY before you can even get across the map. Makes getting the gryphon riders impossible (so far, killed the mother gryphon 0/14 times on medium and 2/3 times on easy). Anyone else getting this problem?

-Mother Gryphon... Keep her guarding the nest and probably make her stronger. (after all, she IS a "mother gryphon" not just a "gryphon." maybe make her a special unit? she is no harder to kill than the other three "sleeping gryphons" guarding the mountain).

Edit: gave up on killing the mother gryphon. it would seem that it's a matter of luck instead of skill getting to the mother gryphon before the loyalists as she first has to avoid 4 attacks (which she has yet to do after 22 tries) from the loyalists to survive even three turns.
Nkwazi

Post by Nkwazi »

1.7.15-1.8rc1 medium

Easy - 3
Medium - 10 (trying to kill the mother gryphon)

Very clear. I did try to pick up the "eggs" in the queen's nest, since she flies north on the first turn and gets killed on turn 2 or three. I thought this would allow one to get eggs.

It's okay

No matter what I do, including recruiting lev 1 units, the gryphon mother flies straight into the enemy.

1. I cannot see how you can complete the objective getting the eggs.

Make the eggs in the nest. How does the queen fly around with the bloody eggs?

I think there's an AI glitch that makes the Queen head into the enemy. Maybe this resulted from a recent update?