Scenario 9: The Valley of Death

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Cidious_Black

Re: Scenario Review: (HttT) Valley of Death

Post by Cidious_Black »

(1) Normal
(2) 6 - If you bring in gold from the last scenario, and get that one done quickly a 600 gold bankroll will put a lot of units to field.
(3) Perfectly
(4) Solid
(5) Avoiding losing High Level Units to the Walking Corpse horde
(6) 4
(7) The map could use a bit more complexity in terms of terrain, much of the ground is annoyingly open, and while this is important for organization of the large forces to be put to field, it causes the tactical complexity to suffer. I would suggest using small tendrils of non flat terrain to enhance the complexity of the forests lakes and hills.

Just replayed this map with a strong opener to attempt the bonus objective, was immensely disapointed to find out that the bonus was not in fact 4 loyal white mages as could be implied from earlier bonuses or anything else for that matter despite the significant difficulty of achieving this objective.
ankas

Post by ankas »

1)What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Hard

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear. No doubt.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Clear and challenging.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Trying not to loose any Paladin (I lost two though) and finishing it as soon as possible to keep some gold for the next scenario. I killed all Liches at turn 8. Thus with four turns left. Surviving is too easy.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
May be a little bit more of bonus for killing all Liches would not be bad, although 100 pieces of gold for the next scenario is enough to finish it without many problems.
Trucidation

Post by Trucidation »

First time commenting on Wesnoth :wink:
Dave wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium.
Dave wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
8, toughest map to date. Or that may just be because I absolutely loath having any leveled unit die.
Dave wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Pretty clear, although it took a few moments for the "2 days = 12 turns" thing to click (that was pretty clear in retrospect).
Dave wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
No problem understanding, but as others have pointed out, the whole situation was a little, shall we say, unrealistic. First, to stumble upon such a large horde of undead, and second, that they suddenly give up the ghost after the second day.
Dave wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Keeping my f*&$%ing units alive. Green WC spam, oh. my. god.
Dave wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6, the main gripes being the terrain and the WC spam. As other posters have pointed out, the terrain was too "clumped", i.e. the terrain types should've been more mixed instead of huge monotype swaths of ground here, hills there, and forest neatly off to one side. Should scatter hills and swamp and rubble tiles to make it look more desolate. Maybe use sand instead of plains.
Dave wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
As the others have pointed out, a little more dialogue would be helpful, like having an elf advise you (Kalenz perhaps) that holing up in an enemy keep may be safer than waiting for them to take the fight to you. Also, blue ran out of steam pretty fast (didn't see him summoning after the first wave), and so was purple, although purple did manage to get some more troops out just before I despatched him. Finally, the zombie spam was freaking insane. I don't know, maybe I should've planted some elves in the forest and used them to whittle down the numbers, I actually tried that on my first attempt, but they got injured badly after a few turns and I had to pull them back, which meant the WCs overran that defensive forest line.

- - - - -
At first I split my party in two (a handful of units including Konrad retreating west past the lake then dithered in the forest there, while the main bulk of my army went southeast), with a lone paladin running distraction to the northeast with the intention of dashing west in a surprise bid to take out the purple lich up north.

I noticed the WCs began tracking northwestwards, possibly attracted by either the paladin or Konrad's group; strange, considering I had a much larger force blithely walking at leisure down southeast. Purple went south split between two sides of that huge hill section, while blue charged north. Everyone seemed fixated on Konrad's little bunch (4 of them), which was really weird.

The paladin ran in to kick purple in the head, but had to retreat the next round when purple units going down the right side of the hill section returned, while Konrad's group fended off the purple ghost thingies which went down the left side of the hill section, and barely survived when blue's forces arrived from the south. The main bulk of my army which I sent southeast (including Delfador and Kalenz) were unmolested, with only a few WCs headed south to them (barely a handful). In fact I had them in a defensive line anticipating blue to come from the west, but as I mentioned earlier blue ignored them and headed straight up north to plow into Konrad's little band.

With the paladin retreating into the northeast, I detached Konrad and a mounted elf unit north to finish off the purple lich while the remaining 3 of the little group defended the tiny swath of forest in the west, barely surviving blue's assault. At the same time I dispersed the useless defensive formation and had most of them swoop west to take out blue's leader who was left alone in his castle. This manuever made some of blue's troops retreat south temporarily to help their leader, but they resumed going back north after I squished him. The remainder of my troops were camped in the small hill formation south of green. All this time green was churning out WCs by the dozen, they were absolutely flooding the map and moving in a huge ragged formation northwestwards, with only a trickle creeping south which were easily dealt with.

Turn 10, Konrad and the elf rider were boxed in the northwest corner and succeeded in luring the purple lich to come after them (with a large bunch of purple units right behind it). Paladin was mostly useless, more or less trapped in northeast section of map, badly injured. Down south, the detachment I sent to the blue keep cornered the leader and despatched him. The remaining guys camped in the hills below green noticed that green was finally out of summoning WCs and that the majority of WCs seemed to be fixated on going northwest, so sent them on a suicide charge towards the green lich. Konrad's group of 3 he abandoned earlier fended off the entire freaking horde of blues, on top of the beating they just survived from purple's ghosts.

Turn 11, somehow Konrad and friend managed to take out the purple lich while surviving the beatdown from the purple units that came with it. Seriously, the elf rider pulled off a miraculous string of evades with only 2hp left. I'd written him off for dead already. Finally, the WCs were too late to return to stop my charge, and I had my mages waste the green lich.

If this had continued for even a single more round, I'd most likely have lost Konrad, since he basically took our purple without an escape plan.

Observations: I ignored the WC horde for the most part; purple was a large problem since they come streaming at you with a bunch of hard-hitting ghost-type units. Blue wasn't so bad since if you ignore them they spread themselves a little thin chasing north after you. If I had to do this again, I'd give the party camping the tiny west forest section more people. The guys heading southeast saw little to no action, and it was a breeze to arrange them into two attack groups to fall back west on blue and charge green up north (once the WC horde clears the green castle of course, otherwise you'd find yourself up to your eyeballs in zombies). The lone paladin sent northeast was of some help distracting a couple of the fleeter purple units, but he took too many hits to be able to take out the purple lich by himself and spent most of the time "trapped" in the northeast.

If I had to do it again, I'd probably send a large group west then north, a small but fast group northeast, and a decent attack force southeast so they could split and double back for blue and north for green. The north group will likely face half of purple and the majority of blue.

Upkeep was freaking expensive, and like that other dude, I ran dry. Many of my units were high level oldbies (thus many of them had the 'loyal' trait), but that still wasn't enough, since it was very hard to hold towns in this map - in fact, it's the only map where I ignored getting towns, there simply wasn't time or opportunity.
Clonkinator

Post by Clonkinator »

Dave wrote:(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.5.7
I lost one time, though I have to admit that if I hadn't gotten lucky, Delfador would have made me lose even more times.
Dave wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
6. The first night was extremly tough, but the rest was pretty easy. If I hadn't camped in the forest next to the starting castle, however, it probably would have been more difficult.
Dave wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Dave wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very clear. Slightly more interesting than the "standard" HttT scenario dialogue, but still nothing special.
Dave wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Not getting my units wiped out in the first night by the green's and purple's wraith spam. They sent like 12 of those guys after me at the same time, as their very first set of units. Green didn't even bother to bring out much WCs, he simply sent Wraiths after me. I had major losses, though luckily, those losses only were Lv1 cannon fodder units I recruited in the first turn. I would have lost even more units, though, if I hadn't recalled my Paladin and one of my elven sorceresses. Their arcane attacks helped a ton in getting rid of the wraiths. After turn 8 or so, all enemy units (including the green lich leader) had been wiped out, and they didn't recruit any further units anymore either, so I pretty much had won after that. (I was too far away from the remaining lichs to kill them, however.)
Dave wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
9. Simply having to survive instead of having to kill all enemy leaders is a nice change, even though doing so may require a good amount of cannon fodder.
Dave wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
If anything, I would have given the enemies a little more income and/or a slight boost in gold at turn 7 or so so they could keep recruiting a few units.
silent

Post by silent »

Probably the second most frustrating scenario behind Test of the Clan for me

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium 1.4.7
10. If you are too proud to save load here, some advice. Lose your pride (note, no hesitation from me to save load)
Forcibly clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Did it ever occur to the good guys trusting the advice of someone who wants them dead IS NOT a good idea?
Staying alive and sacrificing my level 2 and 3 units :cry: It probably didn't help in staying in the keep. Some mention to the random chocobone as well
You've got to be kidding me :annoyed: , right?
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
less gold to the corpse spammer lich
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

@silent. Put some elves in the wood to the east with one attached healer unit (druid, shyde) and you really start to love the walkin-undead-spammer. Because you can easily level three units from 2 to three without doing anything.

I just try it with 1.5.11 and now I am spammed with WRAITH. Now that is horrible, horrible wrong.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

lol, yes. I rather enjoy the added tactical diversity having the wraiths there too.
energyman76c

Post by energyman76c »

seems like Wraith got weaker - it is a hard scenario and I like it.
sabalzen

Post by sabalzen »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Hard, 1.6

9.5, I finally got lucky.

Clear enough.

As others have pointed out, this is a dumb scenario from the point of view of storyline. On easier settings its an interesting strategic challenge though, but on hard its really difficult.

Hordes of chocobones and wraiths make even 'assassination' of the leaders difficult; I was lucky in that on the nth restart, there were relatively few and my knights could take up charging positions outside the enemy keeps with no losses.
I also had great trouble keeping everyone else alive; I finally held out for the time needed to kill the three lichs by Kondrad standing his ground and spamming thieves on the central keep. No recalls apart from Mormiru and Kalenz (compulsory), a paladin, 3 knights and a horseman who levelled to lancer. The paladin and lancer (holy water!) took out two of the leaders, the three knights the other.

A bit frustrating on 'Hard', but at least the final winning strategy felt 'right' (as opposed to running off into a corner or something), and the desperation of the siege reminded me of 'Zulu' or the Alamo :)

Provide a bit more of a rationale for the scenario - otherwise it's fine.
Grisogonus

Post by Grisogonus »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

(1) Medium difficulty , version 1.6.1.
(2) 8 - very difficult, plenty problems keeping levelled units alive.
(3) Clear enough, survival...
(4) Not a very clear storyline, why would the undead stop attacking after 2 days, doesn't make much sense.
(5) Thoug it is not so hard to finish this scenario, it can be a bummer keeping your previously levelled units alive, a perfectionist's hell indeed. Somehow I managed to kill the liches a turn before the end, but since you get virtually nothing for sacrificing your paladins, it's not worth it at all. I played scenario again and finished with survival, keeping 90% of my units, but I reloaded from time to time. To get this without reloads, you need to have extreme luck or be a very top player.
(6) 5 - Err, fun in the first place, but it can get frustrating later.
(7) Give more turns at disposal, some sort of special reward for taking out all liches perhaps!?
turret544

Post by turret544 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.6

Very Clear

What dialog? :P

Keeping my already leveled units alive. Oh, and the swarms of wraiths at the start.

8, it was great fun watching my elite troops smash the masses at the end.

Nothing in particular that I can think of.

I started the scenario off by recalling:
2 lvl 2 white mages
1 lvl 3 white mage
1 lvl 3 fire mage
1 Paladin

Rest of the gold was spent on elvish fighters.
All of my army immediately started going SE, towards the holy water, with the fighters protecting the mages/important units. The mages easily wiped out the starting 4 wraiths that came from the east. The holy water was given to a lvl 3 Kalenz and the stand was made around the location of the water. 4 mages, a pally, and arcane kalenz easily smashed units on their attacks, and I had to saveload a bit for positioning purposes to keep the white mages from dying.

After the first night all of the fodder fighters were dead, and it was quite fun to blast the rest of the undead armies to smithereens. Pretty much all of their armies were dead by turn 11, but I didn't attempt to kill any liches. Good stuff, oh and I got the fire mage to level 4 :D
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

medium. 1.7
very clear, survive until end of turns. how to do that is another matter.
quite clear and interesting.
moving Konrad away before the Undead made it to my Keep.
10. Nice to have a super hard scenario every now and then.
none.

My stategy was to recruit elves and magi (yes, the Magi with almost no melee power.) for 2 turns (no, I did not recall any units, I was afraid they might be killed in the frenzy.) and have them protect Konrad as he (with the important people) retreated south. by turn six, Konrad had made it to the bottome, and the white magi came. then everyone (still alive) ran to the south-east hills, and held out to the end.
nanjupaca

Post by nanjupaca »

Hard 1.6.4

pretty clear

Nothing special, I like the helpful hint of the holy water.

Running away from blue and purple's forces while I took out the green leader.

Maybe have a bigger bonus for killing all leaders besides the early finish bonus.

Well, I manages to kill all the leaders on turn 12. First I recalls 2 paladins, 2 knights who I gave holy water, an enchantress, an arch Mage, Morimeu, and an about to level elvish hero. Then I recruited a Mage and used the rest of my money on thieves. I sent my main force with my recalls charging at green, while I split my 13 thieves into two groups and sent them to their deaths to distract blue and purple. I killed green on turn 8 or 9, and sent a half hp paladin with a holy knight and delfador to take out blu while all his forces were just finished slaughtering my thieves. The rest ran shtraight for purple with blue chasing on their heels. on the last turn, purple decided to come out and I killed him.
woohoo!
Shibamage

Post by Shibamage »

Easy :oops:

When I actually knew how to do it, around 5.
(Before that it was definitely 10, but I was playing stupidly. :P )

Pretty clear.

It was cool, and easy to translate into Afrikaans (not that I officially translated it, but I still want to see if I can.)

Keeping the hordes off my core party's back.

6ish.

No, it's good the way it is. I don't really define undead-horde scenarios as "fun". ;)

My strategy was to run North, kill the purple leader, spam Elves from his keep at the blue and green leaders, and and then run further away before they could break through the Elvish lines.
I suspect that won't work so well on Normal or Hard....
For what is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his soul?
Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?
~ Matt. 16:26

My ST/SW fanfiction! :D
fred570

Post by fred570 »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on? novice 1.7.1 and 1.7.2
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 10, way too hard for novice
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? very clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? clear, but uninteresting
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? too many undead, and the elves were too weak
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 1
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun? make it a little easier and lose some of the undead