Scenario 8: The Princess of Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Kaiserdrache

Re: Scenario 8: The Princess of Wesnoth

Post by Kaiserdrache »

Postby Content Feedback » October 10th, 2004, 5:10 pm
(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Medium, 1.8

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

4, a little bit challenging, but not more

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

Defeat the princess. Crystal clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

Quite clear, although a little bit more taunting from the princess and some unexpected moves would have been nice.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

Deciding which unit needs the experience.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

8 - I like half-naked woman who want to kill my troops :)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Trigger some more assasins after the first ones. Add two additional squares of water next to Konrads' fortress so that your merman can make a headstart into the scenario.

I really liked that scenario. Plains, woods, some mountains and water, a good mixture of terrain. The enemy sends quite a different mixture of troops which makes things interesting. The assassins in the mine to the south is an added bonus which makes quite an interesting scenario.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
easy 1.10.2
clear
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was good meeting another main character instead of more bland generic orc leaders.
The main problem was just making sure you fought on your terms, around your villages, which i managed to do nicely. The only problem i had was dat duelist. He almost got me... almost.
8. It was nice taking down the enemy army because they seemed a bit overconfident. By the end, i probably had about 7 units level up.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I created some mermen at the beginning, but later on they had little purpose... It kinda felt like a waste, but that wasn't to much of a deal at all.
Fate is against me.
TeeWee

Post by TeeWee »

Latest iPad on medium

Clumsily formulated but clear. 'defeat' would have done the job too

Dialog was clumsy. Letting the Princess go was weird, surprising and frankly, stupid for the characters. You don't just free a valuable hostage just like hat, especially one who has also lead an armt against you. The closing line by the Princess was the most clumsy line of them all.

Kowing when to push and when to consolidate.

Clean up the writing a bit. Give the Princess a rangee attack. A huge melee attack coupled with no range attack and low hitpoints is a bit jarring.

Overall, I liked how my initial push towards the bridge had to draw back to the woods when her horsemen crossed the river over the entire length of the river. I'm really glad I made the conscious decision to recruit lots of speed bumps on my second turn. Elves in forest are great at soaking up pressure. Elves in forest vs forces without ranged attacks are insanely good at this job. In the end, I lost most of my fresh recruits but I finally managed to level up a few archers to rangers. One of the, promptly got left in an exposed situation and died though...

I saw that some users got surprised by the ambush. My first thought when I saw the map was to investigate the mine. I was expecting a bonus gold or weapon actually. What else is a mine good for?
naomi

Post by naomi »

Easy and Medium on 1.10.

6; not too bad, but still challenging enough to be fun.

"Surrender"? How are we supposed to know that that means "attack her to the point where Princess would die if she was a normal character"?

This was probably one of the less well-written scenarios. I think Princess is one of the most awkwardly written characters in this whole thing to begin with, and as we get the information that she doesn't like her mom later in the campaign, her behavior in this scenario makes absolutely no sense. It also might work a bit better to have her escape as opposed to being released (which is a pretty stupid thing for the heroes to do, and out-of-character to boot, as Delfie's generally a pretty bright guy who knows how things have to be in order to win). Maybe she could lead the heroes to the next scenario, and escape there, leaving them to fight the hordes alone?

It's generally necessary to retreat at the river, but that takes some figuring out.

The Princess has awful characterization. Her behavior here and her behavior later on don't match up, and she's just generally obnoxious. It could be worse, as even this is better than having her be a fluffy happy bundle of joy who pets passing direwolves and gives candy to children, but if you're going to have her stick to her mother's word as gospel in this scenario, it's kind of jarring to have her little "My mom is a terrible person, she kills tons of people, I'm soooo sad" monologue later on.
SBak

Post by SBak »

Easy and medium 1.8.5, 1.10.2 and 1.10.5

This varies between a 5 and an 8 for me.

It wasn't that clear until I thought about it in a bit more detail and figured that you never actually 'kill' a unit only reduce it's hitpoints to 0 at which point the unit usually 'dies' as a reaction (some very theatrically such as the Orcish Assassin). Therefore I understood that if Li'Sar had her hitpoints reduced to 0 she wouldn't die, but surrender.

Very theatrical almost to the point of being operatic. The Duellist I had down as a definite brown noser.

Mainly getting my small assassination squad to the keep undetected. The tricky bit is usually between the northern-most villages and the mountains. This scenario reminds me a bit of The Hunters in Liberty where you have Loyalists coming at you from a distant keep.

Pikemen are the only other real problem - unless I can get them somewhere near Mermen in water. Since Elensefar I'm usually offering my enemies a choice of ranged attack - arrows or faerie fire. This tends to make Red Mages less of a problem.

It's usually quite good fun.

This parent/adult-child level in the dialogues is irritating. It makes Konrad look emotionally/mentally [censored]. He's now level 3 (or about to be) and has fought his way up to being among the elite of the Rangers/Avengers and yet Delfador is still speaking as if he's a kid, which also makes Delfador look pervy.
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Medium difficulty Version 1.10.5

The objectives were clear.

I have several issues with the dialog in the scenario. First is the dialog for Li’sar calling reinforcements. The first message comes on turn 5, the second on turn 10, so when I first played I noticed what I thought was a pattern and assumed that she would be calling reinforcements every five turns, and that the scenario was going to be insanely difficult to complete as the second reinforcement message gave zero hints that those were the last reinforcements. In fact I actually quit the scenario the first time through after the second set of reinforcements to look up online what on earth I was supposed to do because I saw no way I could win against a flood of reinforcements every five turns.

Secondly the whole trap with the duelists feels somewhat bizarre when you're in the habit like me of keeping Konrad near the front lines and are left to wonder what exactly the point of seizing an empty keep is.

Also Li’sar recruiting ogre's felt weird. I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that there's a perfectly reasonable explanation if I knew more about the world, but it's a really odd thing to see being recruited by an otherwise human army, an whatever explanation there is unlikely to be known by anyone who picks this as their first campaign.

Having sufficient patience while playing defensively. I was able to set up my forces in the forests just south of the bridge, and as long as I stayed there I could slowly wear the enemy down safely. However there were several points where the enemy forces appeared to be severely weakened to the point I could start going on the offensive, but when I tried to, it turned out Li’sar was due to summon reinforcements in a turn or two, and as my army would then be out of position it would then get devastated. Once I was patient enough to grind through those reinforcements the mission wasn't too hard.

The only other challenge of note was trying to gain and retain control of all the villages in the south away from the bulk on my army, I ended up having a number of small skirmishes between an elven ranger and scout I was using for village duty and the cavalry the enemy was using for the same, required a lot of maneuvering to isolate individual cavalry so they could be killed.

8. The map is well designed, and offers a lot of potential strategies, and in general is just a pretty good fight.

Gameplay wise the scenario is pretty much fine. The dialog/story complaints I had could use fixing though.
line

Post by line »

Champion (Challenging) 1.11.12, Shamans only (and loyals)
322 starting gold, enemy: 280
Finished turn 16/25

While playing on 1.11.6 it seemed to be much more difficult. That made me follow Maiklas strategy to place my defending position into the woods instead of giving up the good ground due to keeping the enemies in the water.
This time things were fairly easy, there was mostly no need to fall back to the woods.

Clear

Clear

None.

I don't like the reinforcements, they make the scenario somewhat unpredictable (I guess, that is what they are supposed to do).

None.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
None.
Attachments
HttT-The_Princess_of_Wesn..._replay.gz
shamans only
(61.83 KiB) Downloaded 749 times
kiss

Post by kiss »

Heir to the Throne - Princess of Wesnoth - Fighter (Beginner) 1.11.16.
Played 1 time before as Fighter(beginner) 1.10.7
Some experiment before the provided replay.

Storyline
I've don't killed all the ambushers! If one is still alive it is somehow impossible then.
I like the second drawing. Leadership facing powerfull submission.
Dialogs sounds sad. It is like Li'sar wish to join Konrad. Perhaps it is not the good day and she sends him in a trap. I'm waiting their next meet.

Events
Any unit on 4,41 trigger a duelist.
Turn 5: Li'sar +3 lvl 2
Turn 10: Li'sar +3 lvl 2

The map
A lot of water to use Merman on the south part.
What is on the mine at 4,41?
Border between keeps is 16,22. Main battle should be between this point and the Elmar's crossing bridge.
Forest on the south part, one norwest the bridge and one north enemy keep.
Few villages in the far west.

Strategy
Send Merman and few units south. Look at the mine and capture villages. Then send Merman north to support fight around 16,22.
Send troops in 17,29 and 10,21 forest.
Send horse north to capture villages, fight back or stay north.
Capture 9,16 village and control the whole west bank.
Cross the river to take control of the eastern forest.
Send units in the northeast forest.

Comments.
What the hell? 666 gold!

As in few other scenario, sometime AI built a strong defensive position. This is quite surprising. Each time, I wasn't able to do anything but wait. Starting an attack will be a suicide and there is not much to do than preparing one. Hopefully it doesn't stand too long. I do no remember such behaviour with 1.10.7.

This scenario can be a nightmare. When starting, the timing seems perfect to fight in the east bank. But when Li'sar starts to spam her loyal ... For me it was a real challenge to stay calm and wait in the forest at the beginning.
Being able to use chaotic unit can help against lawful. As far as I remember it was the first time for me. Strangely I've had to focus on day time a little more than usual.

Starting gold+(carried over): 300+(366)/140.
Finish turn: 15/31, bonus gold: 304.
Recruit 2: Elvish Archer,2 Elvish Fighter,Elvish Scout,Elvish Shaman,Horseman,Mage,Mermaid Initiate,Merman Fighter,Merman Hunter
Recall 24: 2 Elvish Archer,Elvish Captain, 1 Elvish Druid, 1 Elvish Enchantress, 2 Elvish Fighter, 2 Elvish Hero, 1 Elvish Marksman, 1 Elvish Shaman,Elvish Sorceress, 1 Footpad, 1 Horseman, 1 Knight, 2 Mage,Mermaid Initiate, 1 Mermaid Priestess, 2 Merman Fighter,Merman Hunter, 1 Merman Warrior, 1 Outlaw, 1 Red Mage, 1 Rogue,Thief, 1 Thug, 1 White Mage.

XP tracking.
Delfador Elder Mage lvl 5: 131/200
Elvish Archer lvl 1: 24/35
Elvish Captain lvl 2: 7/72
Elvish Druid lvl 2: 22/80
Elvish Enchantress lvl 3: 13/144
Loflar Elvish Fighter lvl 1: 17/40
Elvish Fighter lvl 1: 17/32, 3/40, 18/40
Elvish Hero lvl 2: 51/90, 22/90
Kalenz Elvish Lord lvl 2: 29/120
Nioden Elvish Marksman lvl 2: 23/80
Elvish Ranger lvl 2: 7/90
Elvish Shaman lvl 1: 19/32
Delutin Fugitive lvl 3: 23/120
Haldiel Knight lvl 2: 73/120
Knight lvl 2: 2/120
Konrad Lord lvl 3: 58/150
Mage lvl 1: 42/43
Oceania Mermaid Priestess lvl 2: 35/106
Kwaboo Merman Warrior lvl 2: 3/64
Elcmar Merman Warior lvl 2: 15/80 <-- trident
Outlaw lvl 2: 10/62
Elrian Red Mage lvl 2: 38/100
Red Mage lvl 2: 13/100
Gelgar Rogue lvl 2: 37/70
Thug lvl 1: 25/42
Moremirmu White Mage lvl 2: 48/136

R.I.P.: 1 Merman Fighter
Attachments
(69.04 KiB) Downloaded 791 times
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 366 Gold

My first attempt ended in disaster, as I went to fight the enemy when they were in the river. It's better to fight them from the forests on your side of the river.
Attachments
1.12.5 Normal
(72.01 KiB) Downloaded 778 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

1.12.5. medium.

5. I was a bit surprised by how easy it was considering that I had trouble beating it on easy on earlier versions.

Clear but I think it would be ok if it just said "Defeat Li'sar" because players already know by now what that means. "Force her to surrender" is unnecessary and reveals that Konrad won't kill her. If that is not revealed, it could be used to improve the dialog.

Meh... it could use a lot of polishing. Li'sar's characterization could be improved (there was a thread on the writer's forum about it I think) and so could Konrad's decisions. Going through the beginning dialog sentence by sentence:

1st (Li'sar: "The Queen has sent me to stop you, impostor!"): feels like it came out of nowhere. It is weird when the enemy unit begins a dialog, especially if it's something that seems accusatory. Imagine if a cop jumped out of the bush and yelled "You're going to jail!" at a random person. That's the impresion I'm getting.

2nd (Elvish Marshal: "That’s the princess, Li’sar. The daughter of the Queen, and her successor!"): it's slightly weird that an elf is the first one to recognize Li'sar; I'd expect Delfador to say this, but it's a minor quibble .

3rd (Konrad: "I’m no impostor. It seems that your mother has lied to you."): He doesn't seem at all bothered by the accusation. Is he even aware that everyone in the kingdom he wants to rule considers him an impostor? His response is completely unpersuasive- he gives no reason for why she wouldn't consider him an impostor aside from saying she's been lied to, which is... well, no one would buy that.

4th (Li'sar: "This is treason! Your lies will perish with you!"): Extremely short temper for something that is a relatively minor insult at most.

5th (Delfador: "There is no use in reasoning. She will understand only one thing. To arms!"): This would make sense if they actually attempted reasoning and failed. Their attempt at reasoning (if you could even call it that) consisted of one sentence, telling her that she's been lied to. Delfador of all people should know better.

Aside from that, she seems like an immature brat, especially the "...I know it is not true. My mother told me." and "I am not a child, and I do not want to talk about it!" (oh, the irony!).
There's also the completely idiotic decision to let her go. She still has her army and can simply attack them from behind if they let her go. She would be very useful as a hostage and even killing her wouldn't be a bad idea if she is indeed the queen's most able commander.
I think that it would be very interesting if Delfador urged Konrad to kill her, not only because she is a dangerous opponent but also because she could reveal Delfador's deception to Konrad and he doesn't want that to happen. It would make Delfador a more morally ambiguous character which would in turn lead to more interesting dynamic between him, Konrad and Li'sar when she ends up travelling with them.
I hope that the discussion on Writer's forum yields some results and that Li'sar's character and overall dialog in HttT improve.

Holding the line by the river. I thought about retreating to the woods but it wasn't necessary in the end.

7. It has a nice map, it's an important scenario for the story and if it were slightly more challenging and had better dialog, it could be one of the best scenarios in HttT or even in mainline campaigns in general.

Aside from dialog, maybe letting her call reinforcements every 5 turns. It would make it a bit more challenging which would be appropriate if Li'sar is to be depicted as one of the best generals. Considering that reinforcements appear on turns 5 and 10, players probably already expect them on turn 15 as well and prepare accordingly.

Notes & stats:
-start gold: 412
-recruits(2): 2x Mage
-recalls(14): Druid, Fighter (loyal), Hero, Ranger (loy), Rider, Sorceress, Knight (loy- Haldiel), Mer Enchantress, Mer Hunter (loy), Mer Warrior (loy, trident), 2x Red Mage (1 loy- Elrian), Trapper, White Mage (loy- Moremirmu); +auto-recalled Elvish Marshall
-turn 3: Rider & Kalenz trigger the trap; Mermen sent southeast to get the villages; others sent to the plain by the river between the two forests
-turn 6: Kalenz kills the Duelist; Delfador & Marshal go north to get villages
-I hold my side of the river without any problems; enemies occasionally cross the river only to be scrapped for XP; I use Moremirmu and Haldiel who are 1XP from advancing as shields to protect low HP units
-turn 15: Li'sar killed by Elrian the Arch Mage
-turns taken: 15/28
-end: 219 gold, 26/27 villages
-advancements(6): Red Mage->Arch Mage (Elrian); Knight->Grand Knight (Haldiel); Fighter->Hero; Mer Hunter->Netcaster; Trapper->Ranger; Mage->White Mage
-no losses/reloads
-XP (others are at final level or have <1/4 XP needed):
~1/4: Elvish Hero
~1/2: Druid, Mer Warrior
~3/4: Kalenz, Red Mage, Elvish Sorceress, Mage, Mer Enchantress
~100%: Rider, White Mage (Moremirmu)
-dmg dealt: +3%
-dmg taken: -14%
Attachments
(64.4 KiB) Downloaded 708 times
rapplegong

Post by rapplegong »

Normal

11. I find it virtually impossible.

Pretty clear.

Interesting that it didn't even make sense. Principle characters talking to each other over the vast expanse of the map.

There are scripted events that take all the fun out of the game. Level 2 loyal units add to the difficulty, and relentless replacement of troops helped by inflated base gold production dissuade me from going any farther. That the game has to rely on these for any semblance of artificial challenge is very disheartening.

0. This game is a disaster in 'fun'. It is as fun as stabbing oneself in the eye.

Get rid of the unfair 'events'. Rely on the AI and RNG to make the game have at least semblance of fairness.
taptap

Post by taptap »

rapplegong wrote:Scenario 8: The Princess of Wesnoth

Normal

Fwiw, Faello has posted a great replay in this thread. (On high difficulty.)
I am a Saurian Skirmisher: I'm a real pest, especially at night.
rapplegong

Post by rapplegong »

taptap wrote:
rapplegong wrote:Scenario 8: The Princess of Wesnoth

Normal

Fwiw, Faello has posted a great replay in this thread. (On high difficulty.)
Thanks taptap!

I was scouring the site for hours yesterday

This is a cry for help, really, no offense intended for the developers. I just had to vent after fifth consecutive failure.
MrA4

Post by MrA4 »

(1) Champion (Challenging) 1.12.6

(2) 8

(3) Clear. But I have a suggestion to make it more simple. See (7)(a).

(4) The dialog for when you find the trap and when she calls extra troops need some work. Also, Konrad (and especially Deflador) trusting the Princess is a fallacy at best.
[] It is obvious that the Queen trusts Lisar, and Lisar do whatever it takes to fulfill her mother's command. See (7)(b).

(5) The biggest challenge was crossing the river. It is best to cross the river as early as possible and forget about the tempting wait-on-the-bank tactic because the
[] Princess routinely calls in extra support (For free). You could end up getting stuck there.
[] Once past the river and near the princess, she will likely call extra forces again. The best way to divert this is to send highlevel troops right next to the
[] reinforcements to block their movement and limit the number of times they can attack a single target.

(6) 7. (I think this is entirely because of the logic and dialog. It might be a 9 or 10 otherwise. I say this but, it is a TON better than the first version of the scenario.)

vvvv Because Logic vvvv
(7) (a) Have the scenario objectives say "Kill the Princess." (The player doesn't need to know that she won't actually die.) However, Once you reduce the Princess to 0 HP,
[] she begs for her life. Konrad, being the nieve and perhaps lucky person that he is, spares her and takes her captive. She then escapes before the next scenario.

[] (b) In stead of having the princess explicitly say 'go North,' have her say something like, "Let me go! The armies stationed X and Y (both some distance on
[] either side of the Valley of Death and blocking alternative routes) will come for me when I don't return, and if you let me go your sentances will be lightened."
[] Not being morons, Konrad and Deflador ignore her cries and would then try to go inbetween the armies without being noticed, not knowing that her intent was for
[] them to die in the Valley.

[] (c) Have them take the Princess captive. She can escape, and the logic issue dissappears.

v Because meh v
[] (d) When the trap is foiled remove "The trap is foiled, but" from what the guy in the mines says. (it's obvious and already stated by the Princess)
[] When the princess calls free troops for the second time, have her scream something like, "For the love of my mother, Kill them!" (This would be in place of,
[] "Maybe I was not using enough forces..." and it's amusing :P)
Attachments
Here Princess, have a cookie.
(56.95 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
Paranoid

Post by Paranoid »

I'm doin v1.14.0 on medium now. The scenario was much harder in 1.12 and 1.10. I'm missing reinforcements and the duelist from the cave. Are these changes intended?