Scenario 8: The Princess of Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Elvish_Star

Re: Scenario Review: HttT - Princess of Wesnoth

Post by Elvish_Star »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
easy, v1.0.2

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
3/6 : outright winning is very simple, winning with acceptable losses is far more touchy

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
pretty clear;

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Funny. Unlike other posters I liked the part where she hints about the undeads in next scenario. This gives her personnality and makes a coherent progression ina campaign instead of "the devs had no idea so they put pesky undreads in the middle of the road"

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Keeping losses of valuable units at an acceptable level, which I achieved using canon fodder horsemen.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
There might be a funny trick wich woulf make the scenario only slightly more easy : the princess culd surrenderer when reduced to 0-5 HP isntead of 0
a

Post by a »

medium

clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
uninteresting

killing all those units near the bridge

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
add some enemy water units
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Difficulty?
Medium, 1.1.7

How difficult?
(3) Elven arrows solve a lot of problems, as does Entangle.

Objectives clear?
Spank princess. Roger that.

Dialogue clear? Interesting?
Dialogue clear. I'd add a little more chit-chat between the young pricess and your heroes, though.

Challenges?
Getting over the bridge and surviving during the day on a featureless plain.

Fun?
(4) Nothing really special to see here, you know.

What chages?
make the terrain where Li'sar's and Konrad's forces meed something other than a plain meadow. The odd wood or hill would do wonders, as would a few shallow streams, as to level up a few mermen whom you'll need when crossing the river a few scenarios ahead. Not many chances to level those guys, you see.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
Quitch

Post by Quitch »

Medium, 1.1.8

7, first time again higher level troops, an army that is close to my equal.

Too clear, I shouldn't know she's going to surrender in advance, just tell me I need to kill her.

Dialogue for the princess was pretty poor, I'd like to see that tightened up, and adapted such that it varied depending on the flow of the battle. And for the love of God, drop that "The undead are waiting bwhahahaha" nonsense at the end, it feels like a really bad B movie.

Trying to advance on her position, without a lot of terrain to work with. My own fault really, I don't like to wait, and I didn't want to leave the centre ground open for them to steal my villages.

6, bit of a slog, but a nice tactical challenge.

The duelist is going to take my keep... why?

Make the dialogue smarter, this is desperately needed.

Let them reach the river at the same time as me, where as now I can easily cross before they get there.

Make the AI smarter in realising it can run out the clock.
Flametrooper

Post by Flametrooper »

Dave wrote: (1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
(Based on 1.1.1. On the newer versions I haven't replayed HttT yet.)
1)Medium. (I always play campaigns on Medium, hard's not fun and easy lets you be sloppy)
2)4. Crossing the river was surprisingly not hard, then I killed whoever was in my way, and broke through her keep with a Knight for a quick kill. I have replay somewhere.
3)Pretty clear. "Force Li'sar's surrender (Reduce her hitpoints to 0 or lower)" sounded to me like "Kill the little brat" So I just went with that.
4) Basic. 5/10. Not very interesting, but it does the job of introducing the princess.
5)Using Delfador to weaken a swordsman, then finishing it off with an archer; then him dying on the next turn to another swordsman (had to saveload) or making sure everything got enough XP.
6) 6 or 7. I thought it was pretty fun, although I would like it if more of Li'Sar's troops attacked near the water to help level the merfolk.
7) Remove her ability to recruit ogres, or just make them rarer. The big brutes get in your way and they're a pain to take out.
Pretty good scenario all together. Gryphon Mountain is still among my favorites, but this is close, with Crossroads and Valley Of Death near my least-favorites.
hey.
Irinami

Post by Irinami »

Easy, Medium

8, 5, 3

8 -- first time.
5 -- second time, and all times on Medium.
3 -- subsequent times on Easy, or using the save/reload bug. ;)

7/10. I was a little confused on how to make her surrendur, but I've never encountered a good game that suddenly introduced a new gameplay element without any documentation... So I figured it was a matter of beating on the poor lass until she gave up.

8/10. It remainded consistent with the rest of the writing, which is a little bit on the minimalistic side at times in my opinion... but I can't really see where it could be expanded very easily. This is where the plot started to really grow. I thought this would be one of the last few scenarios... I was very happy that it was just the "end of the beginning."

As usual, it took a lot for me to stop over-reaching my support forces. I run a "Mongol" style main force of Elven Scouts/Outriders. Their ability to pelt spearmen and horsemen without significant reply when attacking builds a false confidence that lead to the annihilation of my maneuver elements the first run through.

I'd already sent a few thieves and a druid down to explore the cave, so the surprise there wasn't very surprising. The existence of a notable landmark so close to the starting point was a dead giveaway too, I'm sorry to say.

9/10! I don't like to give 10's, and I'd say this one ranges, usually between 8 and 10 depending on my mood. It is a winnable challenge, but not just with one strategy or with one force. I enjoy trying different methods with varying success.

Perhaps the most fun was drawing her forces south with a cavalry charge, tying her people up in the south... then running my MERMAN MARINES!! up the river. Yeah, eat a 60% defense in water and no particular vulnerability to spears. GLUB-RAH! :twisted:

A larger map with a more generous turn allottment would have been cool to me. Even so, I immediately saw about 4 different ways to engage the enemy on first inspection... and I'm sometimes not the most astute observer, either! I can only imagine what 10-15 more hexes in width with a road running between 2 hills would have done!
Angry Andersen

Post by Angry Andersen »

-Medium, ver 1.19
-6 if I just have to make it through, 9 to win with few or no losses and a nice gain of exp.
Clear
-Clear
-Crossing the river. The 2 armies facing each other on each side is really a tactical challenge. Some of the moves were like playing chess. Very good!
-None
Trygvasson

Post by Trygvasson »

Dave wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
1. Hard. This is my first campaign, so I'm using saved games a lot, though.
2. 7 - the pikemen are giving me a lot of grief, on hard I can't afford to lose any loyal/leveled-up units, and those pikers just keep knocking out one unit or another.
3. You mean those annoying blah-blahs before the killing starts? I pay them no heed. I think maybe Konrad is gay though. Insecure little wimp.
4. Very clear, very pre-teen in style. These days, I think you'll see quite a few grognards playing IGUGO hex-based strategy games. They're usually past their teens, and more inclined to Fallout-like dialogue content.
5. Keeping all essential units alive thru the first morning/afternoon of active combat. The joy of this game is an adequate AI, denying me piecemeal decimation of his troops and attacking when he can deliver maximum damage.
6. I like pain, give it to me!
7. Give some obscure dialogue hints about the rear attack, and make it a real threat by adding a couple more units.
Iris
Site Administrator

Post by Iris »

I've played it on easy and medium.

7. Those lieutenants give me too many problems.

Very clear.

Somewhat interesting (not too much). Very clear.

At the start, I don't recall too many units. After a few turns, the opponent's army increases, and I'm force to recall higher level units. It's specially difficult to attack or advance during day, but when night comes, I quickly kill opponent's units and advance.

It'd be more surprising if at least 2 more (level1) units were hidden for the surprise attack on Easy/Medium, and a second level2 unit on Hard.
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Too easy (beat it on rd 9 on hard) with an assasination attack from 3 mounted units after all her army was concentrated on the bridge.
But maybe this is deliberate, as the money is needed in the next scenario(though that was not that hard either)
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Medium 1.3.1

7 Requires some tought on how to split/draw away main body of princess' army to make flank ride possible

Very clear.

Nice, that girl has some personality.

Not letting myself caught in a meele with large body of infantry and mages wchich tended to linger in front of my target. Suprise attack was no threat at all and got dealt with by three units

8. Excellent cavalry battle on a very suitable ground. Until AI starts to focus on recruiting infantry that is.

More conversation between princess and Konrad, make her recruit lvl2 cavalry instead of lvl 2 infantry.
Wen Yang

Post by Wen Yang »

[quote="Mist"](1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.2.4

7.5 The near-complete lack of exploitable terrain combined with a 2nd level heavy enemy force makes for a pretty challenging battle.

Clear as day.

Not bad, Would have preferred some extra characterization work on the Princess though. :wink:

Finishing the scenario without loosing too many of my leveled units. :wink:

7. Tough and pretty fun. If Li'Sar packs a nasty range attack to match that 44-point melee of hers, it'd be even better. =)

More chat between the Konrad and Li'Sar, and if possible, more cavalry on her side. =)
The first technique is the last. The beginner and the master behaves in the same way. Knowledge is a full circle. - Miyamoto Musashi, The Book of Five Rings.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium; 1.2.4, 1.3.6
2) 5
3) Okay
4) Okay
5) On the first attempt, the duellist & sidekick take back a lot of villages in your rear & make it hard to get Konrad back to camp if you want/need to recruit more fodder

6) 9 - probably the best scenario out of those so far for a presenting a both-sides-lined-up type of battle.
7) The duellist didn't really make sense to me; if he's to protect the princess personally, which the dialog suggests, I would have him spawn somewhere near her, maybe anchored there.
Last edited by cph on August 30th, 2007, 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
borisblue

Post by borisblue »

Normal, 1.2.3

8 without using cheap assassination tactics, 2 if you go for the quick lancer thing

I guess "force surrender" is a little vague, but most people would assume you had to kill the princess anyway

Good, but could be better. It'd be nice to learn more about the princess here- what has her mother been telling her about past events?

Without using assassination, it's a major drain of your gold cache, especially if you want to kill all the liches in the next scenario.

8 without using assassination, 5 if you do

It shouldn't be possible to win on turn 6 with no casualties just because you have a couple of quick lancers/knights
LezzerLord

Post by LezzerLord »

1.Easy 1.2.5
3.Very good
4.good
5.nothing.Just reqruit a bunch of thieves and rogues and crush the pathetic little princess.
6.7 loves the reinforcements.
7.Give Li'sar more gold, larger reinforcements, more troops for her to reqruit, am master-at-arms instead of a duelist in the cave,larger river.