Scenario 7: Crossroads

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Re: Scenario 7: Crossroads

Post by SigurdFireDragon » March 5th, 2016, 5:56 pm

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 462 Gold
Attachments
HttT-Crossroads_replay.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(69 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg » March 12th, 2016, 7:57 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
4.5. The ambushes don't really make the scenario harder (I don't know whether that's intended or not). When the enemies rushed towards me, I didn't use the hills for cover because that could trigger ambushes and make the situation more complicated for me. Instead, I wandered around the hills, triggering traps on purpose so as to get easy XP, but only after I defeated the main bulk of enemy forces.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Crystal.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I like how you get loyal elves and they warn you about the ambushes.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Holding my ground on flat terrain and taking advantage of the small patches of forest as I didn't want to risk with the hills.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
5. Nothing bad, but nothing special.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-Some kind of a reward for killing the south leader maybe.
-Make the ambushers reveal themselves after some time. If you don't go onto hills, they just sit there waiting and watching there comrades die while they're supposed to be guarding the crossroads. It doesn't make sense (even more so considering that having all those units attacking you from the start would be even more advantageous for the orcs).

Various semi-interesting things:
-starting gold: 519
-0 recruits
-recalls(12): Marksman, Ranger, Rider, Sorceress, Footpad, Knight, Mage, Outlaw (Delurin), Red Mage (Elrian), Rogue, Trapper, White Mage (Moremirmu)
-no losses/reloads

-turn 6: I set up a straight defensive line so that all units on it can be attacked from at most 2 hexes
-turn 7: my defense worked well and about half of enemy units are cleared; my rider gets close to dying which was a bit surprising; Ranger does an awesome job of holding that small patch of forest
-chipping away enemy forces and protecting my own, but nothing notable happens...
-turn 10: most of the enemies defeated. After clearing what's left of them, I'll divide my forces to south and east and send some units to go into hills & trigger the ambushes
-units at low HP remain at the back getting healed by Moremirmu; Outlaw and Red Mage that went south end up low on HP but I manage to position my units to keep them safe
-turn 16: south leader killed by a Red Mage
-turn 26: east leader killed by Kalenz; by then, most of my units converged at his keep and surrounded him

-advancements(6): Rogue->Assassin (loyal); Archer->Ranger (loyal); Marksman->Sharpshooter; Footpad->Outlaw; Outlaw->Fugitive (Delurin); Mage->Red Mage
-end: 354 gold, 20/20 villages
-turns taken: 26/34
-XP:
--1/3: Kalenz, Ranger
--1/2: Red Mage, Rider, Trapper
--3/4: Knight, Red Mage, Outlaw, Sorceress
--close: Fighter, Mage
-dmg dealt: 0%
-dmg taken: -5%
Attachments
(66.58 KiB) Downloaded 104 times

MrA4

Post by MrA4 » March 21st, 2017, 10:10 am

(1) Champion (Challenging) 1.12.6
(2) 7
(3) Pretty Clear. You could add in that he is in the NE corner, but it isn't that important.
(4) Clear. Not too interesting, but it fits the scenario very well.
(5) The biggest difficulty was coming up with a reasonable strategy to kill the target. If you charge through the mountains you will end up having to defend yourself there whilst both leaders send their waves at you. If you go middle, same thing but worse you don't have the mountains' terrain bonus. If you stay at the start and wait you also will be overwhelmed (unless you don't care about how much gold you end with). I found the best strategy to be traversing the Southern mountains and killing that leader before heading NE to kill the target leader.
(6) 9 It was pretty challenging on challenging (feel the irony), but well worth it.
(7) None.
Attachments
(57.06 KiB) Downloaded 92 times

LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan » October 14th, 2018, 10:19 am

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

- 1.14.5, Beginner

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?

- Simple, kill the orcish warlord to pass (killing orcish warrior is purely optional), but a good way to harvest some more XP

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

- Solid, though there isn't too much, but I like how the two new elves alert you about the dangers of the ambush in the hills

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?

- Trying to stay away from the hills

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

- Since in the next scenario it's mentioned that one orc survived and alerted Asheviere, how about having one orc that's unkillable (it can reach 1 HP, but not below that)?