Scenario 5a: Muff Malal's Peninsula

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 5a: Muff Malal's Peninsula

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Dacyn

Post by Dacyn »

1=Easy
2=4
3=very
4=If they are walking to Elensefar, why are they on a peninsula? It looks like they have just walked out of the water east of them...
5=corpse swarms
6=9
7=I can't think of anything...
Elvish_Pillager
Location: Everywhere you think, nowhere you can possibly imagine.

Re: Scenario Review: Muff Malal's Peninsula

Post by Elvish_Pillager »

(1) Easy, Medium, Hard
(2) 1
(3) completely
(4) sort of...
(5) MAJOR challenges? there were none...
(6) 7
(7) none
It's all fun and games until someone loses a lawsuit. Oh, and by the way, sending me private messages won't work. :/ If you must contact me, there's an e-mail address listed on the website in my profile.
Fortify

Post by Fortify »

1) Medium
2) 2
3) Objectives were clear.
4) Dialog was ok(it has been a while)
5) Giving enough xp to the units I wanted to level
6) 7
7) add dialog to hint that this isn't a really tough scenario... On my first try I summoned 2 full castles of my best and brightest before I saw that he was only recruiting a few skellies/adepts and mostly corpses. Maybe something like

Delfador
Sir I know of Muff Mala, he doesn't have extensive resources. Maybe we can rest some of our tired troops here. This should give us a chance to train some new recruits
The shovel saves more lives than the sword.
Integral

Post by Integral »

Dave wrote:(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Medium.
Kill Muff Malal. Clear enough.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Nothing to write home about -- it's not really that clear why Konrad is suddenly fighting the undead.
Resisting my urge to charge forward and get overrun by walking corpses. Once I was a bit more patient, I didn't have trouble.
4 - it's so easy it's a bit boring IMO -- the biggest challenge I had was that I arrived with almost no gold, so I had to sit around building up an army before I could wipe Malal off the map (and sitting around isn't especially interesting).
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Daniel
Herkum

Post by Herkum »

Medium
Kill the enemy leader. Straight forward.
Clear but not particularly interesting.
Keeping my lower level units away from the Dark Adepts.
I feel that the scenario is to simple in terms of strategy. The north and middle part of the map see little action once the bats are eliminated from the game.

The progression of lower level troops are constantly in danger from Dark Adepts and the large number of zombies. Higher level troops are almost never in any danger. This sort of forces you to use higher level troops rather than allow for army development.

If the map was opened up a little more and the computer would attack from more than one direction then it would be good map.
ott
Inactive Developer

Post by ott »

(1) Levels: medium, easy, hard

(2) Difficulty: 3-5

(3) Objectives: clear

(4) Dialog/storyline: not clear how we travelled overland and ended up at a peninsula/island. Otherwise fine.

(5) Challenges: making any real use of low level troops; dealing with Dark Adepts.

(6) Fun: 4, bit simple for advanced troops, good for building up gold for next scenario by finishing quickly.

(7) Changes: perhaps a few swamp tiles, or general terrain good for undead, close to the enemy castle.
daloser

Post by daloser »

1 - E
2 - 2
3 - Clear
4 - Agree with the others re: Peninsula thing but doesn't really matter that much to me...
5 - None
6 - 7 or 8. I likes. Its not the most strategy option rich scenario but after the frustration of the Bay of Pigs, er pearls, its nice to kick a little arse. Unlike what some others said, I find it a great place to level up a few recalled Level 1 units, especially horsemen. That makes it hard to choose between this map or the alternative. Besides, ya leave ol' Muff's Peninsula with a sweet amount of cash.
7 - Like I said, I likes. No changes neccesary, IMO.
pjr

Post by pjr »

[Edit: oops, I commented on the wrong scenario!]
(Comments based on 0.8.4)
Easy, medium.
Dave wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Dave wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear.
Dave wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear and adequate.
Dave wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
It's very easy, but bats have to be watched carefully.
Dave wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Dave wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No particular suggestions. Maybe it's generally a little too easy. I certainly have no incentive other than curiosity to pick Isles of the Damned instead.
cblarsen

Post by cblarsen »

On version 0.8.11
Just a short note. A "bug" in the message given by Konrad at the very start of the campaign. He says:
"It looks like there are the undead there! If we can
defeat the undead ...."

should probably be:

"It looks like there are undead there! If we can
defeat the undead ..."

Otherwise nice scenario as far as I can remember.
Carsten Bak Larsen
cblarsenATprogletDOTcom
Na'enthos

Post by Na'enthos »

It now says you don't have to defeat Muff Malal.. but what does one gain (except from much-needed xp, of course) from beating him?
Shade

IF

Post by Shade »

If you beat Malal you get:
-XP
-Bonus

If you flee like a coward:
-You get to continue with no bonus (AKA 80% of your gold)

If you already have a good unit mix and you think you have enough gold, or won't have enough gold left even with 'bonus on' for beating him, you can run away...
Note to forum users: You are in a maze of twisty little passages
Na'enthos

Re: IF

Post by Na'enthos »

Shade wrote:If you beat Malal you get:
-XP
-Bonus

If you flee like a coward:
-You get to continue with no bonus (AKA 80% of your gold)

If you already have a good unit mix and you think you have enough gold, or won't have enough gold left even with 'bonus on' for beating him, you can run away...
Not sure whether I received the bonus.. (if it is noticeable beyond, say, checking the amount of gold one gets after completeing a scenario). But, I see. I'd have gotten the guy anyway.
Zhukov
Art Contributor

Post by Zhukov »

1) Difficulty played:
Medium only

2) Difficulty to complete:
2/10 - I can see that this level is basically a 'rest' level where you can gather gold and lvl up your units. Considering the next level its a good idea.

3) Objective clarity:
Completely clear: kill the evil bloke wearing the purple dressing gown. Or run, don't really see any reason to run.

4) Dialog
Nothing to write home about. One thing puzzles me: The map screen that shows your progress (you know, the yellow dots and crossed swords) makes it look like your party has actually made a detour in order to encounter Muff Malal, rather then go straight to the city (Elensfar was it called?)

5) Challenges:
Major challenges - none. Minor challenges - giving weal units (healers, mages) XP without losing them to enemy counterattack.
Oh yeah, those dark adepts (more purple dressing gowns :P) could be a serious pain when they hit the right place.

6) Fun:
3/10 - Just on its own merit the level was pretty dull.
7/10 - However within the context (hard level next up) it was very well done. And anyway, for me there is a certain attraction in fighting off hordes of shambling undead by night, then counterattacking and crushing them by day.

7) Changes:
Nothing major, maybe some explanation in the dialog for that detour (see, point #4) A previous post in this thread had a good idea. ( I think the author was called Fortify).
Aloo

Scenario Review: Muff Malal's Peninsula

Post by Aloo »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Easy, Medium

very

fine

none? Besides holding back Your units so they dont get swarmed

Not much to be done. Very simple scenario - maybe allow the computer to get better units?