Scenario 4: Bay of Pearls

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

cph

Post by cph »

1) Easy, medium; 1.2.4
2) 3
3) Clear
4) Excellent
5) None.
6) 10 - excellent parallel land and sea battle.
7) The small starting castle I guess is to offset the huge # of mermem that you get for free; but only 2 spaces is a bit frustrating. Also the corner you start in is right in the corner of the screen - a bit more space behind it would make it less awkward.
TGM: Orb

Post by TGM: Orb »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?
Challenging.
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5. Not difficult, per se, to complete the objectives, but quite irritating to nab the bonuses.
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear, but exactly why you only had to take out one force wasn't explained.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
The dialogue was an improvement. The sea orc banter was amusing, but otherwise the campaign hasn't so far felt epic, no matter how hard it tries.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The opening sea battle basically seemed like pot luck with the occasional moment of cycling and ZOCing, the bats were particularly irritating. Meeting the objectives wasn't particularly difficult, but getting the bonus options (storm trident + mermen in the 'big cage') required a re-run because of appalling luck at sea.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
5. Lots of potential, but a water gap between you and where you want to be just to slow down your deployment is very annoying when you can't see a reason for it. Additionally, I didn't see that much strategy in the sea section, apart from drawing off a couple of units and ZOCs. Maybe it'd be less annoying if you got a hunter or two in the initial cages. On the plus side, good land-sea interplay, and the need to only take out one of the forces could keep re-runs interesting. Possibly, had played differently, I'd have enjoyed it more.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Replace one or two of the mermen fighters you get at the start with hunters. Preferably reduce the annoyance level of the water gap.
Jigsawn

Post by Jigsawn »

Medium. Wesnoth version 1.3.14

Fine.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
I liked the sea orc dialogue :)

None, I managed to easily overwhelm the Eastern fort, and used all the rescued mermen to advance up to the final rescue. Then I used those mermen to storm the middle fort with only a few casualites.

7 - Nice to see some different unit types and the rescuing mechanic. Also it's nice to have the bonus weapon. Thought the ground battle could have been a bit more interesting though.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make the ground based battle more engaging - perhaps put some different terrain types or get that force to harrass you more. Maybe if the Eastern enemy was across 2 parrallel bridges or something?
Lyinar

Re: Scenario Review: HttT - Bay of Pearls

Post by Lyinar »

Version: 1.2.8

Medium.

7. A challenging battle but not impossible. Mr. Blue's units were caught up in the shallows, so holding the shore let me fend them off while holding the villages let me deal with Mr. Green.

Simple and straightforward.

The blue orcs chattering among themselves was amusing. Deflador didn't seem to do much good 'drawing off' enemies, they still sent a horde. And what's up with that one guy spontaneously becoming a "sea orc"? Really caught me off guard when he waded out into deep water and started putting the hurt on my mermen.

The Nagas and the Sea Orc made the water stuff really chancy. Otherwise it wasn't too hard, although I really hate Trolls with their 8hp/turn healing. Maybe that could be cut to 4 hp/turn. I think this was the scenario where I levelled up Elrien to White Mage status. Yay healing!

The only big problem was having a mere 2 tiles to recruit in. I actually cursed out loud on seeing that, especially given that I was facing two opponents.

7. I liked the addition of the water-based combat and "rescuing" mermen to get additional troops.

First, put in some dialog to alert players to the existence of this "Storm Trident". I had no idea such a thing existed until I read about it here. Second, the limited number of merfolk you get, combined with the dicey combat, makes them more suicide/diversionary forces than anything else, as they can expect no reinforcements. This detracts from their value a bit. Finally, give the player more recruiting tiles.
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

Medium, 1.3.17

3. Some strategy and foresight needed, but not so much. The mermen largely survive, so long as they are allowed to retreat to villages and don't attack at night. As far as the land battle... not a total cinch, but flat terrain against blades and punches suggests a good start for some well-supported horsemen.

Securing the last cage and trident isn't as large a challenge once you realize how to exploit squatting units. If it's feasible to work on, I think the guards should be able to work together. That trident is incredible -- even the final battle can make effective use of a loyal hoplite with a lightning blast.

Objective itself is clear. But no mention is made about what we get out of defeating the leaders. We ought to be informed that in addition to the merman rescue mission, we must defeat at least one to secure a path to Elensefar.

Dwaba and Bugg are actually my most memorable side characters. The swimsuit is great when paired against a fairly serious and professional unit description.

(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?

There is some danger of being killed, since Managa recruits the not-so-wimpy Orcish Warriors.

5. Two fronts is cool, but both are simple and sometimes luck-dependent.

More varied terrain. The harbor even could stand to have some islets sprinkled about, if only to keep the strategy from being completely straightforward. Overall though, it's pretty good, and I often looked foward to playing this one, for some reason.
tungdil

Post by tungdil »

Medium, 1.3.19

2. No real problem, with the mermen and the recalled horsemen from the previous scenario. Leveled up Haldiel, and freed all merfolks - first killed the northern-eastern ork-lord without great problems, and second go with the whole crowd (especially horsemen) to the middle isle.

Understanding the objects, but haven't realized, that the rescuing of the merman opened a new path for the campaign - should I've done this?
Rescuing the mermen is selfspeaking.

Wonderful - such dialogs and other sideinformations fill scenario with real life. Is completly other stuff than only the simple "Kill, survive, rescue" messages.

Not to loose Haldiel or other leveled up characters. Second goal was not to loose loyal (!) merfolk.

6, because the mix with the mermen is a nice task. The strategy for finishing this scenario is obvious.

More dialog between the orc-lords and an additional description/reason, why the didn't killed the mermen. Maybe they don't like fish?
theruler

Post by theruler »

normal on 1.4.0

Very Clear

Clear and interesting

keep sea units alive while attacking the lord.

7- I like the idea to split the action in two different type of battles (land & Sea)
I liked the funny dialogue when the orc's minion dies... ;-)

-Bigger castle.
-Do not let the mermen move just after being saved from the cages. It is funny to open 3 cages in a raw, but not so strategic.
-put 1 or two swamp tile near the castle.
-Give the trident a background. See a trident floating on the sea is not enigmatic. It easy to know what to do... and run for it.... put it into a sea-temple, or something like that.
Chuck Norris' watch displays only an hour. Yours.
SumnerH

Post by SumnerH »

I'm filling these out having done Elves Beseiged-A Choice Must Be Made on "medium" difficulty, and I'm following the advice to rank 10=hardest scenario in the campaign (Seige of Elsenfar), 1 = easiest (Elves Besieged)

Medium, Wesnoth version 1.4
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
7. Like many, it becomes _way_ easier after you've played it a couple of times; with effective use of merpeople, you can destroy the sea leader quickly and bring their power to bear on the land grind.
I think I accidentally skipped some dialog and found it a little confusing (thought I had to kill both leaders).
I liked the sea orc stuff. Amusing.
Realizing the power of using the 3 mer-missiles (initiate, hunter, storm trident) in concert to take down the sea leader w/o casualties; really learning to rotate troops in/out of the front for the first time (it's the first fairly protracted land battle).
10. By far the most fun IMO, and one that started off feeling very difficult but once you learn to use all the resources it presents offers many ways to become pretty easy.
None.
Anym

Post by Anym »

(1) Hero (Normal), 1.4

(2) 5: Well-balanced, although the bonus objectives might be too easily attainable.

(3) Very clear.

(4) Clear and adequate.

(5) Keeping my merfolk alive.

(6) 8: Great fun, the most entertaining in the campaign so far.

(7) Can't think of any.
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium
(2) 1
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
vicza

Post by vicza »

EASY, NORMAL, HARD.

Well, it's interesting scenario: when I played it for the first time on every level, even on EASY, I failed. But later, when you find a right way, it becomes quite easy. Though, I didn't managed yet to kill the sea orc on hard.

Quite clear.

Well, I'd not say they're very clear. E.g., Delfador says: "there are many orcs, I should go and distract some of them." Distract -- how? Alone? And then he returns and says: "I have come across some important documents, and must make haste with them to the Elven Council." Come across -- when? While distracting orcs? Distracted, distracted... oops -- some documents. Picked them up and continued distracting... :wink:

Or this sea orc. He asks: "Why we recruiting only bats and nagas?" But he asks this right after the second orc recruited lots of orcs and trolls. It's strange a bit. Or, maybe, here's emphasis on "we"? "Why we recruit bats and nagas while this second orc recruits orcs?" In any case its not clear.

And something strange with his type, too. He begins as an ordinary orcish archer, but then, on turn 4, transforms to the Sea Orc. Why can't he be sea orc from the beginning?

Apart from mentioned above -- maybe, one more merman on hard level?
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

Something I find makes this significantly easier is recruit a healer, preferably quick, on your first turn, and beeline out. After you've rescued all but the top cage of merfolk, retreat (its probably night) and use the healer to support them. With healing, you can easily take the blue leaders units, but without it it often comes down to luck, especially on the hard level, where you want to kill two level 2s before you even get to the leader :P.
Daxam

Post by Daxam »

My priority is to rescue the merfolk on North (again the opposite of your strategy). That gives me 2 ranged-merfolks (very useful) and get the storm trident fast (3 ranged merfolks). That turns the sea battle very fast.

I played on Normal, by the way.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

All my replies reference the hard difficulty setting of any campaign. In that, the blue leader has both: 1, more gold, and 2, the guards around the top merfolk bin are both level 2 (you receive no additional reinforcements). On easy or normal, you have superior forces in the water, and thus my strategy isnt strictly necessary with good strategic planning. However, on hard, I would even argue that they have the superior forces, and its night at first skirmish, so I prefer to wait out a couple turns around the druid. It also likes to lure a ground unit or two towards the merfolk, on to the sand, simplifying the ground battle even further. I've never had a problem with the ground battle in this level, just the water on hard.
vicza

Post by vicza »

Jozrael wrote:Something I find makes this significantly easier is recruit a healer, preferably quick, on your first turn, and beeline out. After you've rescued all but the top cage of merfolk
Still, I don't understand, how are you going to bring your healer there (unless you have a shyde already). Even for a quick shaman it'll require about 10 turns to come there, and, I'm afraid, she'll have no one to heal anymore at this moment.

BTW, I just tried it again on hard, and killed the sea leader. Quite easy. But only by freeing the northern cage first. BTW, I didn't even need the mermen from the southern cage, and freed them not before killing the leader. :wink: