Scenario 3: Isle of Alduin

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Anym

Re: Scenario Review: HttT - Isle of Alduin

Post by Anym »

(1) Hero (Normal), 1.4

(2) 6: A step up in difficulty from the previous ones without becoming too hard. [1]

(3) Very clear.

(4) Clear, but boring. Really nothing to write home about.

(5) Lack of patience to hold back during the nights.

(6) 7: What the scenario lacks in terms of story is made up by its actual gameplay. A well-designed scenario that allows for different strategies.

(7) Can't think of any.

[1] as I haven't played the other scenarios in the campaign yet, I can't really rate it in comparison with the other scenarios in the campaign
I look just like Bobbin Threadbare.
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium
(2) 1
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
LezzerLord

Post by LezzerLord »

1. Difficulty: Easy.
2. Difficulty of map 1-10: 2 First "real" fighting map.
3. Clearness of Objectives: Good
4. Dialog and Storyline: Good
5. Challenges: ... No idea...
6. Funny 1-10: 9, It is the first real fighting map, and thus you must start thinking strategical.
7. Changes: More mages in villages, no recruiting of mages until the end of the scenario.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I think giving more loyal mages would be a bad idea; HttT already has loyal units in spades, and it makes elrian that much more special.

And nonloyal mages would just be silly, unless you gave them very nice traits or something: I don't think its worth it.
mcv

Post by mcv »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5. Pretty easy. The only real danger is running forward too fast with too few units so you get swamped in trolls.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very. Kill the other guy. Couldn't be any simpler than that.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Was there any?

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
You need to divide your units in two forces, run one half west, the other half south. If you do this badly and allow the opponent to attack the weaker half, you've got a problem. Keep an eye on the size of the opposition, and make both your forces each strong enough to take on anything the enemy can throw at it, and this scenario is a piece of cake.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6. It was okay. Neither bad nor outstanding.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Perhaps add some additional obstacle to overcome while you run across the island. Nothing too hard, but maybe just enough to give the enemy an edge.
Grisogonus

Post by Grisogonus »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? [2]
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

(1) Medium difficulty, version 1.6.1.
(2) 5 - well measured up scenario, perfect for xp points and gold hoarding after two droughty ones. I just split my forces, made 2 fronts, sacrificed 2 scouts for destroying their main force, it was butter afterwards. Gained an elf druid, 2 knights and 2 mages not many points away from levelling, and a marksman (when I think of it, I probably should have gone for a ranger, will try in next scenario).
(3) Very clear.
(4) Good, Delfador returns to his island occupied by orcs, it's revenge time lol
(5) Avoiding to fight the orc army at night, especially in those hills in the west.
(6) 6 - solid scenario, nothing special funwise, but not a filler either. I liked how the map was designed with the splitting mountain range in the middle.
(7) Nothing really...
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?
medium. 1.7
very clear.
nice way to introduce magi.
(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
deciding deciding to get a white mage or red mage.
none.

my strategy was to have 6 elite units to surround a shaman, to go down the left side, and 3 elf scouts, an elf fight, and a horsman down the right.
mabeenot

Post by mabeenot »

(1) Normal, Wesnoth 1.6.2

(2) 4

(3) Very clear

(4) Good... maybe a little more background on what Alduin looked like before the orcs showed up.

(5) Rushed to grab lots of villages and used the trees and hills for cover as I headed south. I killed the leader easily while some of his other units were still on the map.

(6) 8

(7) The Alduin scenario doesn't look like the Alduin on the main map. I was expecting a big island with a smaller one to the southeast. I think a little dialogue could explain the geographic difference... maybe the orcs trashed the island so bad that it started sinking into the sea.

I find Wesnoth's storyline very interesting, especially the mage hierarchy. This is the only reason I bring up the Alduin geography. If Alduin is the center of mage scholarship, it should be a really awe-inspiring location, even if we're only seeing the ruins left by the orcs in this scenario.
Ceilo

Post by Ceilo »

Medium, 1.6

1. My first idea was to grab as many villages as possible to bankrupt the enemy. This worked just fine without any resistance to speak of on the opposite side. Good chance to level up some units.

As clear as can be: Kill Mr. Bad Guy.

Quite clear, but too short to be interesting in the beginning. The final dialog is more interesting although it doesn't become very clear why everyone agrees where to go next.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario? [2]

Unemployment of my troops (they had time to conquer even the remotest villages) and lack of ideas how to spend my money.

8. No real challenge - but hey, I get lots of money and levels so I won't complain. Kind of a bonus level for a newbie like me.

I'll have to retry it on the high difficulty level. At least then there should be some real difficulties. And I didn't try this with really low resources.
wtf_is_this

Post by wtf_is_this »

1.4. and 1.6.5 medium level

in1.4 its 5,now its 3

HttT has the best and clearest objectve

8 out of 10

are there any challenges?!?!?!?!

5 in both version

More forests maybe.
Vladcara

Post by Vladcara »

Dave wrote:Thanks to everyone for filling out these reviews so far! The feedback has been excellent.

Now onto our review of the third scenario in Heir to the Throne:

[1] preferably, this should be rated relative to other scenarios in the campaign, such that the easiest scenario in the campaign is rated '1', and the most difficult '10'. i.e. even if you didn't think the campaign is very hard, you should still rate the hardest scenario '10'.
[2] this question has been adjusted from previous surveys for clarity.
1)Easy on v.1.6.5, Easy on v.1.7 and Easy and Medium on v.1.8
2)3
3)Very clear
4)Interesting storyline. The dialogue was clear, but there could have been a little more of it (however, I have a personal preference for extremely story-driven scenarios)
5)I had no problems meeting the objectives
6)7
7)Add a little more dialogue and, if possible, make the AI play more offensively: as it stands, it lets you walk right up and butcher it (then again, this may be different on the Hard mode)
'Wow, Brazil's big!'
George Bush, when shown a map of the world
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

3 - Play it safe and you'll be fine. The villages will give you a big economic advantage.

No problem.

Not that interesting- more background on the Isle would be nice, as would a little bit of characterization of Elrian.

Surviving the first night of the clash?

3. Nothing wrong with it, some nice terrain and two separate flanks but hardly memorable.

1) More dialog from Elrian! Loyal units become mainstays so learning about him would be cool.
2) Make the island look like it actually was the center of magical learning! This means more city-village squares, more city-road tiles. Maybe switch Konrad's camp tiles for castle tiles. Mix in some runied-castle graphics? Just make it more lived-in, not just this blank countryside.
Schierke

Post by Schierke »

Hard 1.8.3.

The enemy is weak, you have a lot of units to choose from and you're on the offesive.

Clear enough.

Just fine.

Nothing, maybe just choosing which units assing to each flank without making niether too weak or over recruiting.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?

Maybe expanding the concept of the mage's resistance, by getting more or them to join you and making the orcs stronger, or maybe making them a frindly third side to fight the orcs together.
hhyloc
Translator

Post by hhyloc »

1. Easy, Medium 1.8
2. 4
3. Very
5. Nope
6. 7
7. I can't think of any
R.I.P
Orcus_Christ

Re: Scenario 3: Isle of Alduin

Post by Orcus_Christ »

Content Feedback wrote: (1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
(1) Medium. Version 1.8
(2) 3. It's tempting to rush and make a dumb mistake, since the enemy is weak.
(3) Clear enough.
(4) The dialog is clear, but it wasn't interesting.
(5) None.
(6) 4. Making lots of money is nice.
(7) Make the map more unique. I don't know, change the villages to look more.. magical. :P