Scenario 1: The Elves Besieged

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Astoria
Inactive Developer

Re: Scenario 1: The Elves Besieged

Post by Astoria »

Paulomat4 wrote:The fighter unit seems to have a wrong image path, or one defense frame must be missing, because there's one image not found frame in the defense animation. I looked at the code, but couldn't find the error. Perhaps one of the devs could look into it.
EDIT: I'm on 1.11.7
I've fixed it on github a while ago. The fix will be in the next release.
Formerly known as the creator of Era of Chaos and maintainer of The Aragwaithi and the Era of Myths.
Paulomat4
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Paulomat4 »

okay, I just thought I might report this :)
Creator of Dawn of Thunder and Global Unitmarkers

"I thought Naga's used semi-automatic crossbows with incendiary thermite arrows . . . my beliefs that this race is awesome are now shattered." - Evil Earl
line

Post by line »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Champion (Challenging) 1.11.6, Shamans only (and loyals)
100 starting gold, enemies: 400/500/500, allies: 170/170
Finished turn 9/12

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
In this scenario I had to learn, to be not to eager getting kills. Using the full list of recruits I end up in being too aggressive quite often (when I go for kills with archers). Using only shamans this ist not to happen. But still I managed one kill with a shaman. I used the common distraction by Delfador first going north then west, while sending Konrad straight northwest.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The waiting for the enemies and allies to make their movements. And the waiting until round 7 when I first take part in the battle.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
I prefer smaller maps with more influence of the players behaviour. But it fits pretty well to the story the way it is.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I don’t like Galdrad’s: “You have to get past me first”, when he sometimes dies the same round. In that case there should be at least an orc, who simply answers like: “Acceptable”.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
Using the full list of recruits I often play to eager and lose units. Not so with only shamans.
Attachments
HttT-The_Elves_Besieged_replay.gz
shamans only
(31.1 KiB) Downloaded 799 times
line

Post by line »

As most of my replays seem to be corrupt, I restarted the campaign using 1.11.12
Attachments
shamans only
(27.36 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
Herode

Post by Herode »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?
Medium, v1.10.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Depends on your goals. Just running to the exit as fast as possible is easy (2), a bit more difficult is to gain some XP for your iniits without loosing them (6)

Clear

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear

(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
Gaining XPs for my units

It's a good starting point and leaves you many choices. You have to deal XPs (turns = 12 => fights, thus XPs) vs. gold (turns < 12, thus gold bonus).
You'll have to assume the consequences of your choice in the next scenario.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-
yahiko

Post by yahiko »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?
Medium (Hero) on v1.11.16
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]
Difficulty 1: very easy.
Quite clear. I was just a little bit doutbful at the begining about the roadsign as the final destination, but, in the end, it was quite intuitive.
Quite simple but a good introduction to the campaign.
Just finishing the scenario it is really easy. But leveling up our units is still rather difficult (it is just a couple of days I am playing it).
4: note really exciting, just a "hors d'oeuvre". The never ending other players' moves are in the end quite boring since there are a lot of units on the map.
It is interesting enough as a starter.
Since it is the very first scenario a player is likely to experience, it is a good balance between complexity to learn as many concepts as possible, but not to much in order to have a smooth learning curve.
kiss

Post by kiss »

There is not that much room for Konrad: already 8/16 turns needed to reach the goal and only 100 gold.
According the map, it seems there are two safe ways from both side of the river.
Most of all I have no idea of what my allies will do!
Strategy: escape! Send a mixed troop on the north part of the river with Delfador, let Konrad on the south side with a hope to recruit more if necessary on Chantal keep and a scout south to take some villages.

Turn 1, ..., 4: nice to be able to recruit one more. I reload here because of keyboard mistake in the middle of the turn.
Turn 5, ..., 10: over.

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?
Fighter (beginner) 1.10.7

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) [1]

Clear.

As an introduction it is classical with strong bases.

This was easy, but I have the strong feeling that it was a poor play from me!

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 1
I've nearly done nothing at all ...

Nothing.

[1] preferably, this should be rated relative to other scenarios in the campaign, such that the easiest scenario in the campaign is rated '1', and the most difficult '10'. i.e. even if you didn't think the campaign is very hard, you should still rate the hardest scenario '10'.
I'll come back on this point, if I am able to do that, at the end of the campaign
Attachments
(24.32 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

kiss wrote:preferably, this should be rated relative to other scenarios in the campaign, such that the easiest scenario in the campaign is rated '1', and the most difficult '10'. i.e. even if you didn't think the campaign is very hard
Speaking as a campaign author, this is more like what we want. Relative scores wouldn't help us adjust the scenarios to make them as difficult as we intended.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
kiss

Post by kiss »

Ho, no problem at all from me, I already pull that out of the box here
I'll answer in the original thread.
DarkPhoenix

Post by DarkPhoenix »

Hi, just wanted to add my 2cents:

-This seems to be the very first scenario that players will choose in campaign mode and as such it is a let down to have to wait so long for all the legions of CPU orcs to finish their turns. I was thinking "Aww man this is such a great game and i'm so looking forward to playing but this is taking foreeevvvver" and I almost lost interest! Perhaps enabling a mass-movement function for CPU to move all its units simultaneously? Definitely notify the player of the cntrl+a acceleration key to skip some idle time.

-I just felt like there should be a way to keep Galdrad alive. Maybe providing a few user-controlled units to begin with.

That's about it thanks :)
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

DarkPhoenix wrote:I was thinking "Aww man this is such a great game and i'm so looking forward to playing but this is taking foreeevvvver" and I almost lost interest!
I think that's a valid point. It is kind of an annoying scenario to have as the Wesnoth opener. The only way I can think of fixing it is to make a new first scenario, something quick and small like discovering an orcish scouting party. Then Elves Besieged could follow the new opener.
beetlenaut
Developer

Post by beetlenaut »

I agree. I don't know if HttT is still being rewritten, but this is something I would change too.
Campaigns: Dead Water,
The Founding of Borstep,
Secrets of the Ancients,
and WML Guide
quadpl_03

Post by quadpl_03 »

I would like an option to instruct the allies to focus on specific tasks so I can get them to back off. The way this scenario typically plays out is either I go in and weaken an opponent just for my allies to go after me and steal the kill, or I surround the opponent and do nothing, the opponent shifts into the one hex I couldn't reach which opens him up to attack from the allies, and they go in and steal the kill. The allies in this scenario are real bastards.
Iceblade

Post by Iceblade »

Am I wrong, or could this scenerio be won (the map conquered) if the AI leader would recruit less fighters, but more shamans and archers instead?
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal)
Attachments
1.12.5 Normal
(29.54 KiB) Downloaded 644 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.