Scenario 22: Return to Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

GagarinGambit

Re: Scenario 22: Return to Wesnoth

Post by GagarinGambit »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Hard 1.8.4

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
2, that's another easy scenario...

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
They can't get any clearer

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
There's not much dialogue here, and I can't say it's good. And anyway, shouldn't Konrad be curious about what was implied in the council?

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
4. It's too easy, and any large map with plenty of flatland and few strategic points is a guarantee for a below average game. I had much more fun during the unfinished underground channels.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Obviously I'd modify the map and give more gold or reinforcements to the AI. The dialogue can also be improved - eg, isn't it a good chance for Lisar and Konrad to chat a little? After all, only now Lisar is committing herself as an ally.
Linux. Space technology.
Faello

Post by Faello »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Challenging (Champion), 1.9.6, no saves/reloads, 1486 starting gold

3. <to power-level Warven to Grand Marshal :idea: >

It's a perfect scenario for power-levelling your loyal units, especially Warven if you've picked him up in 19C: The Cliffs of Thoria since enemies are probably vastly outnumbered by your forces (combined loyalist-northeners army at this difficulty level has 570gp worth army of combat inefficient lvl2's & lvl3's) thus easily trapped by a pack of shammies and guardsmen and dealt with ninja poison or wounded with magic, waiting for a coup de grâce from Warven. Once you will end the massacre, you should have him promoted to lvl4 (Grand Marshal) - with fearless trait, being lawful&loyal, he's the most efficient combat commander on the field :twisted: :!: I really recommend watching this replay to people that want to know how power levelling in campaigns should look like :!:

Finished this one in turn 22/25.

6 losses, 28 kills

Crystal clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It was good.

My personal challenge was to lvl up Warven <sergeant picked at 19C: The Cliffs of Thoria> to Grand Marshal in this one.

Power levelling Warven was a lot of fun, I really liked to contain enemy units for milking xp points purpose.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Add more gold to the AI - aside from that, no changes required.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?

No.

Replay attached:
Attachments
HttT-Return_to_Wesnoth_replay.gz
Return to Wesnoth replay, Challenging (Champion) difficulty level, 1.9.6, no saves/reloads
(72.45 KiB) Downloaded 934 times
The yellow jester does not play
but gently pulls the strings
and smiles as the puppets dance
in the court of the Crimson King.
shadowblack

Post by shadowblack »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.9.7, Normal

2 because I wanted to avoid losses

Clear

Fine.

Not losing anyone to the enemy level 3s

6 because we get to fight level 3s, else would’ve been 5

Another wave of enemy reinforcements after the second leader dies

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.

Thoughts:
Despite the enemy level 3s the scenario was easy, mostly due to me getting the first attack and using Slow. The enemy reinforcements were a nice surprise, but they were too few to make a real difference.
Attachments
(60.39 KiB) Downloaded 917 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

(1) What difficulty level and Wesnoth version have you played the scenario on?
v1.9.7 Champion - Challenging

Very clear.

Nothing outstanding here that I recall.

(5) What were your major challenges in completing the scenario?
None. Decimated the enemy.

Good breather scenario but maybe adding a few more enemies wouldn't hurt.
Attachments
(53.52 KiB) Downloaded 830 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Difficulty and version? Hardest; 1.9.7
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 4
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog Fine.
(5) Challenges? River crossing with regular troops, land crossing with Mermen.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 6
(7) Changes? More enemy troops. They need some sort of spam to fill in their ranks.

Screenshot and replay attached. I dispatched the nearest leader immediately with little trouble. The dicey parts were the river crossing by my regular troops and the land crossing with Mermen. Konrad, Kalenz and supporting troops crossed the river southwest of the first enemy keep, and Kalenz almost died in the process, as shown in the screenshot. Probably better to be more conservative. In the end game, Mermen waddled out on land, somewhat effectively.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attachments
(69.69 KiB) Downloaded 791 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
100%
OK
The emeies were so dang leveled that mine were little match for them. Especially when they called in reinforcements from thin air. I had to try this one twice to get it.
Make the enemies more standard, units of that level should be a rare treat, not every day cannon fodder.
Fate is against me.
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
That was the simplest storyline...
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
You've got to be fast enough to kill the nearest enemies before the farther ones get to you
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
-
Elfarion

Post by Elfarion »

Version & Difficulty:
1.10, highest

Difficulty of the scenario:
2-3
The leader next to my keep recruited 5 Royal Guards and than none more. I kept my units out of range, except for my loyal hoplite and netcaster. They were in the river to lure the enemy next to them and survived the attack. Then I softened the level 3 units up and fed them to my Knights, Horsemen and Arch Mage to level them up. At night I waited for the Orcs to cross the river and slaughtered them. Then I got on the other side and killed the rest. A Gryphon in the woods distracted the reinforcement. Piece of cake.

Objectives:
Clear.

Storyline:
Totally clear.

Objectives in beating:
None. Just had to make sure that the enemies were killed by the right units (-> levelling)

Fun:
2 (sry, but it's kinda boring, Just recall a bunch of high level units and that's it.)

Changes:
Maybe give the enemies a higher starting gold and additional bonus when a leader is killed?
"Each of mankind's steps towards tomorrow is a breaking of today's laws."
- Sergej Lukianenko
Linthar

Post by Linthar »

Medium Difficulty 1.10.7

Clear.

There isn't much of it but its perfectly serviceable.

The only challenge was dealing with level 3 units in a reasonably significant number for the first time, instead of only seeing a few rare level 3 outsides the enemy leaders for the majority of the campaign. Unfortunately while they could be dangerous if you had any units get out of position, after 20 or so scenarios my army had far more level 3 units then all the enemies recruited combined, and they were easily dealt with.

5. The scenario requires you to play a bit cautiously which is nice after so many of the previous scenarios were pushovers where my army vastly outgunned enemies often still using occasional level 1 units mixed in with level 2's but the enemies weren't strong enough to make it truly interesting.

The enemies are a little too weak for this point in the campaign.
SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon »

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 1680 gold

There's not much to say about this scenario.

I came from Cliffs of Thoria / Underground Channels. Since looking at the Scenario Settings table indicated the enemies wouldn't be much of a concern to me, I limited myself to less than what the minimum gold was. (400). I recalled a small strike force to start, and then augmented it when I seized the first enemy keep. I could have done a little bit better, probably should have used a Shyde instead of a Mage of Light.
Attachments
HttT-Return_to_Wesnoth_replay_T20-1V0.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(125.46 KiB) Downloaded 714 times
Co-Author of Winds of Fate
My Add-ons: Random Campaign, Custom Campaign, Ultimate Random Maps, Era of Legends, Gui Debug Tools
Erfworld: The comic that lead me to find Wesnoth.
Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg »

Comments on some previous things:
1.12.5, medium.

4. Nice and easy all in all but some care was needed to keep my units from dying to hits from halberdiers.

Clear.

So-so. How and why is Li'sar a traitor? The Queen had no way of knowing that. Also, the generals seem to have no reaction to Li'sar holding the scepter which is odd considering that it should effectively make her their boss.

Keeping everyone but the toughest units outside of Halberdiers' range.

8. It's easy, it's short, it is an interesting challenge (only a few units but they're extremely strong), the ToD dynamic between orcs and loyalists is also great, and it's a great chance for levelling units.

More dialog.

Other:
-starting gold: 1880 (limiting myself to 678)
-no recruits
-recalls(12): Arch Mage (loyal), Stalwart, Steelclad, Druid, Hero, Rider, Mage, Mer Spearman, Lieutenant (loy), 2x Ranger, Outlaw
-turn 3: 1st General killed by Arch Mage
-captured enemy keep to recall my rangers and an outlaw close to lvl 3
-my Rider on the N of the map doesn't have anything to do as he can't handle a crossbowman alone; I can't send my units north because it's hectic near the river
-turn 16: Warven kills the orc leader
-turn 20: my Arch Mage finally becomes a Great Mage; Warven kills the general
-turns taken: 20/28
-end: 1652 gold, 25/25 villages
-carryover: 747
-no losses, no reloads
-advancements(9): Steelclad->Lord, Ranger->Avenger, Rider->Outrider, Druid->Shyde, Outlaw->Fugitive, Lieutenant->General, Arch M.->Great M., Mer Spearman->Mer Javelineer, Mage->Red M.,
-XP: Ranger (~30%), General (~70%), Red Mage (~1/2), Stalwart (~3/4), Hero (close)
-dmg dealt: 0%
-dmg taken: +5%
It could've been better if I had sent elves in the forest from the start so my rider doesn't have to idle around while other units fight.
Attachments
(103.41 KiB) Downloaded 729 times
LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan »

- 1.14.5, Beginner

- Easy, just get rid of two generals and orc

- I like it how the Wesnothian army sees Li'sar as a traitor now. I wonder what'd Asheviere say on that?

- Surprisingly, none

- When you kill Josephus, instead of only three halbeiders showing up, I'd like to have the other general and orc having more gold to summon more of their armies. Would make it more challenging for player to progress on what looks like a refreshing scenario
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.15.1, Champion (Challenging)

Clear.

Clear. It's nice to meet the Gryphons again.

None.

-
Attachments
HttT-Return to Wesnoth replay.gz
I continued from the 'Thoria' path.
(54.76 KiB) Downloaded 499 times
Poison

Post by Poison »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

1.14.7, Champion (Challenging), only 520 gold.

Clear.

Not much there.

None.

Give more gold to the AI.

Absolutely not.
Attachments
HttT-Return to Wesnoth replay Poison.gz
(58.07 KiB) Downloaded 469 times
Zrevnur

Post by Zrevnur »

Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
1.14.9 Challenging (in Ironman mode), played once
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear.
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear. But enemy leader was a bit confused about 'kill' vs 'capture'? And I dont understand how the queen wasnt able to get more troops in the last scenario as she clearly must have known after this one of the approach which was then even delayed by the (potentially many turns lasting) fight in the next plains scenario. Somehow this doesnt add up properly for me.
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
None.
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote: March 8th, 2006, 10:08 pm (7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make it harder. Maybe force a fast play "to prevent enemies from warning the queen" or sth.
Attachments
HttT-Return to Wesnoth replay.gz
(71.46 KiB) Downloaded 361 times