Scenario 24: Battle for Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Maiklas3000

Re: Scenario 24: Battle for Wesnoth

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Difficulty and version Hardest, 1.9.7
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 4
(3) Objectives? Clear.
(4) Dialog? Although there are many good brights spots of good writing, the plot is ultimately weak and unbelievable. I wish something could be done with Li'sar to make her either less evil early on or less loved at the end.
(5) Challenges? Not having critical units skewered.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 4
(7) Changes This is only the second scenario in the campaign that requires major changes. It's possible to win by recalling only 2-3 Gryphon Masters, who can assassinate the queen. I would suggest surrounding the queen with 6 Royal Guard bodyguards (that stay put initially.) And extend her castle by another 6 hexes to compensate for recruitment. This is the final battle. It should make use of your leveled troops and not be winnable by recalling 2 or 3 units total.

Screenshot and replay attached. I recalled a castle of Gryphons for an assassination mission. Then I recalled a castle of Mermen for humor value. Well, I thought they could be effective if they could make it to water, but whether they could was debatable. Then I recruited heavies (e.g., Dwarf Lords) to try to save the Mermen. But meanwhile, two Gryphon Masters reached the queen and killed her on turn 5. Game over. It was a lucky strike, but there was another Gryphon Master in reserve that turn, plus another three level 1 Gryphons that would have arrived the next turn, so the queen was probably doomed regardless. The screenshot below shows the aftermath, the two Gryphons having killed the queen between them. This completes the campaign, with no save-reloads at any time.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attachments
HttT-The_Battle_for_Wesnoth_replay.gz
(70.09 KiB) Downloaded 843 times
ayearhasgone

Post by ayearhasgone »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Normal, 1.8

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Fighting fair and square, 10. Griffin assassination, 2.

(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Very

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Anticlimatic. I just spent over 20 scenarios duking it out, this is the epic final battle... and I just get a few sentences from this legendary evil queen? Hm.

(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
Holding the hoardes at bay long enough for the griffin assassins to finish the job.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)

Not very fun. It's not that it wouldn't be fun by itself, but I was truly tired of this campaign by the time I made it here. I recruited a griffin assassin squad, then hoards of knights until my gold ran out. N.o strategy or tactics involved, I just sent my Knights straight into the enemy army with a strangled cry. I watched my treasured level 3's fall with no pity. The griffins swung around south while blood stained the plains. Ashviere made the mistake of running out to engage the griffins when they came in range-- without the safety of her keep, the griffins killed her quickly. All my knights and most of my level 3's were left dead in the bloodbath.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
None, just happy to have finally beat this one!
PorkSol

Post by PorkSol »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on? Hardest 1.9.8, no save loads
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10) 5
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives? Doesn't get much clearer.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario? Very bare bones considering this is the last battle.

Coming up with the right strategy. I had the four loyal grand knights from the last map, so I was tempted to rush the orc with my grand knights and the hero characters. Ultimately that was not a good strategy though, it tended to get heroes killed.

Once I figured out that it was better to just defend there wasn't much challenge, since I didn't mind letting a few guys die on this final scenario.

Recruit a bunch of dwarven guards to attract the enemy's attention, hold position, outlast the first wave, gg. My army was just too powerful for the enemy, with 900 gp and a bunch of powerful units that I could recall for 20gp. (and I'm not particularly good at leveling units)

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10) 7 if it was a regular scenario. It's a nice change of pace to have a big pitched battle where you're probably forced to accept a few losses, but it doesn't feel like a final battle, especially not once you defeat the initial rush and advance on the Queen. She ended up running out into the middle of a cluster of 20 units, but it only took one dwarf lord to put her in near death hp.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Move it to the middle of the campaign. Otherwise, perhaps some sort of scripting to make the part where you advance on the Queen more interesting. Right now you just defeat the initial rush and waltz up to the unguarded Queen. Not how I imagine killing royalty would work.
Attachments
HttT-The_Battle_for_Wesnoth_replay.gz
1.9.8, hardest, no save load
(81.57 KiB) Downloaded 813 times
AxalaraFlame

Post by AxalaraFlame »

1.9.3 and 1.9.12, hardest
EASSSSYYY
clear. Ashiever is not good......she sucks at using Lv3s and keep sending me units to poison. I do enjoy it a lot :lol2:
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
l hate those cliches of what "loyalty" or "righteous heir"
Assasinate Ashiever within 8 turns with master gryphoons(Lisar+armor+sceptre would be easy)
It is rather disappointing and boring. l remade the map with eastern invasion weldyn under attack map and reset the gold ammount
As l mentioned above. this map is dreally boring, It MUST be improved
Last edited by AxalaraFlame on November 12th, 2012, 4:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
10 - For some reason, this was the only scenario out of this entire campaign that i saw no hope of beating without cheating. (and consequently that's what happened).
Crystal
I enjoyed it.
Frankly there was just too great a volume of enemies coming at me at once. The first time i tried it, before reading the strategy guide, i managed to survive the brunt of the attack, only to have ashaivere start spawning another high level unit each turn, while i was not making enough to spawn a basic unit every other turn. After a long tug-of-war my forces dwindled and i just died. After reading the strategy guide, i tried using rotating rows of dwarven guardsmen backed by elvish healers as a wall for them to crash into, it worked at first but somehow ended worse than my first try did. After spending upwards of 30 turns per try, i was done wasting my day on one level so i just gave all of my heros 1000hp and casually walked up to ashaaiverierere and killed her point blank.
1, just because of how frustrating it was not being able to beat it.
I was actually 100% convinced that some allied army was going to come in from the other side of the map to help me, like some elves and/or dwarves. Perhaps this could be edited in to give people like me a chance to actually beat this? I mean, i'm looking at these replies of people who played it on normal and hard saying it was easy for them and i'm thinking "Am i really THAT bad or unlucky?"
Fate is against me.
Jabie

Post by Jabie »

Ninjuri wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy 1.10.2
10 - For some reason, this was the only scenario out of this entire campaign that i saw no hope of beating without cheating. (and consequently that's what happened).
Crystal
I enjoyed it.
Frankly there was just too great a volume of enemies coming at me at once. The first time i tried it, before reading the strategy guide, i managed to survive the brunt of the attack, only to have ashaivere start spawning another high level unit each turn, while i was not making enough to spawn a basic unit every other turn. After a long tug-of-war my forces dwindled and i just died. After reading the strategy guide, i tried using rotating rows of dwarven guardsmen backed by elvish healers as a wall for them to crash into, it worked at first but somehow ended worse than my first try did. After spending upwards of 30 turns per try, i was done wasting my day on one level so i just gave all of my heros 1000hp and casually walked up to ashaaiverierere and killed her point blank.
I was actually 100% convinced that some allied army was going to come in from the other side of the map to help me, like some elves and/or dwarves. Perhaps this could be edited in to give people like me a chance to actually beat this? I mean, i'm looking at these replies of people who played it on normal and hard saying it was easy for them and i'm thinking "Am i really THAT bad or unlucky?"
The difficulty of this scenario is somewhat dependent on whether or not you've got Griffins. If you have, summon a screening force, then summon your best griffins, bolstering them with level 1 Griffins as available. Send the Griffins South (try to avoid engaging the enemy down there by checking his movement speed), send the griffins the other side of the river, then West for an assassination mission on the Queen. In the meantime, spend, spend, spend! Recall every high level unit you have - as this is the last mission, you don't care if they die - and remember that you can recruit Knights for additional cannon fodder / suicidal charge attacks. Just try to concentrate on keeping Delf, Kalenz, Lisar and Konrad safe. The Griffins should win it for you in about 6-8 turns.
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Jabie wrote:
Ninjuri wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Easy 1.10.2
Crystal
I enjoyed it.
The difficulty of this scenario is somewhat dependent on whether or not you've got Griffins. If you have, summon a screening force, then summon your best griffins, bolstering them with level 1 Griffins as available. Send the Griffins South (try to avoid engaging the enemy down there by checking his movement speed), send the griffins the other side of the river, then West for an assassination mission on the Queen. In the meantime, spend, spend, spend! Recall every high level unit you have - as this is the last mission, you don't care if they die - and remember that you can recruit Knights for additional cannon fodder / suicidal charge attacks. Just try to concentrate on keeping Delf, Kalenz, Lisar and Konrad safe. The Griffins should win it for you in about 6-8 turns.
I actually did not have griffins, I found the griffon level kind of confusing as to how to get them. (I should probably post this in the topic for that level as well), When i got the objectives, it just said kill the griffon mother for griffons, and the enemy to win. When the enemy sent ogres and started attacking the mother griffon i was completely confused. I had assumed that they were both going to be going after me, or at least ignoring each-other. As the ogres and the griffon fought it out, i was like "Oh i get it, you're supposed to hang back and let the enemy kill the griffon mother, this is to teach players the importance of letting enemies fight each other so you don't have to waste units, now i'll get the griffons without actually having to fight them!" Then the ogres killed the griffon and the enemies said they had now prevented me from training any griffons. Only, there was a full nest of eggs under where the mother griffon had been, so i assumed that the enemy thought they had prevented me from getting griffons, not realizing that the eggs were still alive, and i would just have to send a unit to retrieve them. Well i fought off the enemy and managed to get a unit up in the mountains on top of the eggs, only to have nothing happen, it was then i realized that i actually needed to be the one to kill the mother griffon myself, but since it died many turns prior, i was like "eh, screw it, i'm not going to load that far back, i probably won't even need griffons;" and i didn't need them... until the very last level, that is, as you have just pointed out. :roll: Just my luck!
Fate is against me.
Crow_T

Post by Crow_T »

I beat this on normal level and didn't have griffins (which are kind of pricey and weak anyway), also didn't even realise I could recruit L2 knights or whatever from the previous scenario :P Basically I was patient and waited out the first wave, creating a meat force field of sorts early on at a distance from my keep, elvish fighters/archers work well for this.

edit: my recall list was pretty stacked though, I remember playing this as a noob the first time around and having nothing but a few L2's to back me up. With more experience with the game I was deep with L3s and L2s- keep playing!
TheScribe

Post by TheScribe »

Easy
Quite clear
The dialog was clear, but wasn't the most interesting of the campaign
I didn't have much trouble with this scenario once I realized that I could recruit knights. :P
The Queen's minions had no villages, and wouldn't take their partner's village. Once they recruited one or two keepfulls of units they had no money and their income was greatly negative. Maybe start them with some villages?
Sorta on a break from the forums ATM, have been for a while. If I was doing something for/with you and I haven't recently, that's why, I will be back soon hopefully.
WesnothNewbie

Post by WesnothNewbie »

Content Feedback wrote:Note: If you didn't know, the final scenario in Heir to the Throne is named "The Battle for Wesnoth." This thread has nothing to do with the overall game - only this one scenario.

1.8.6, easy ( :oops: )
I haven't finished it yet, but it doesn't seem that hard. It's like with the undead- they bring up a first devastating wave, but once you've slowly weathered it and beaten them, they are easily destroyed as they recruit few troops.
Pretty clear
Rather boring. Here comes Ashievere, deadly dark queen who rules wesnoth and killed the old king and blah blah blah, and all she does is say a few boring sentences at the beginning.
Keeping the heroes alive I guess.
I would definitely make changes. First of all, the dialogue is boring and short- I would have far preferred a long argument filled with taunts in the beginning, where Ashievere brags how she killed the king and will do the same to them, and where Deflador, Konrad and Li'sar make threats on how her evil reign will soon be over. At the end, when Ashievere is close to dying, she should curse all the characters or something like that.

Now for the battlefield itself, it is extremely dull and completely the opposite of what it should be. Instead of being a huge battlefield with Ashievere recruiting& recalling troops like mad, having an Orc army backing them up, and you actually using all that gold, and having elf and human allies, and just having lots of varied terrain and things going on like reinforcements and what not, it's just a small boring battle. It is the opposite of epic, it is small and boring. Also, Ashievere should be a lot tougher (level 5) and not so incompetent as to think she could actually go into the battlefield full of dangerous high level units, and expect to survive with only 48 HP. Ridiculous.

Also, I agree with the poster saying there should be troops on the outside of the map battling each other.
In Linux Land, if you listen hard at night, you can hear the whirr of Windows machines rebooting.
golemsci

Post by golemsci »

I've just finished the campaign! I found it really great fun mostly.

Version 1.10, medium difficulty.

Clear

I thought there could have been a bit more dialogue with Asheviere. Maybe you could offer her exile when you move your units onto her island?

The first attempt I didn't think to use griffons, wanted to march straight to victory in my pride. If I hadn't had griffons it might have been tough.

8 - I like that it can be won easily with a clever assassination, or alternatively you get a reason to throw all your units into a massive battle.

I know it's a bit cliche, but couldn't there be a bit more resolution to the romance and story? Maybe one more piece of artwork of a wedding or joint coronation at the end?
Kingslayer

Post by Kingslayer »

Hard, Newest version of Wesnoth for iOS

1. I had 1200 gold, I didn't even need real strategy, I just recalled from the top of the list and made all of my troops in a line. Didn't bother about anybody dying, Because my kill/death ratio was about 2:1. Ended up killing ever enemy+leader and finishing the scenario on turn 13

Clear enough. Kill the big bad girl.

Li'sar's dialogue and personality are too unrealistic.

None, really. Boredom

4. The best part was using all of my level 3s that I'd accumulated

Make Ashievere Stronger
Have a troupe of Royal guards come out when you enter the castle.
Have guards stationed all around the castle (negating the possibility of a Gryphon assassination)
devavrata

Post by devavrata »

Content Feedback wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Battle for Wesnoth 1.8.3, Easy/Medium/Hard
Content Feedback wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Clear
Content Feedback wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
The first time, the onslaught from level 3 and level 2 units seemed impossible to bear. The advice from the walkthrough, using Dwarvish Guardsman, proved to be a good idea at the moment. Replaying the game on harder levels allowed to develop a growing collection of hardened units, which were available to recall on the last scenario, so the battle got quite leveled and victory was easier.
Content Feedback wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
Content Feedback wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I like the water channel surrounding Asheviere's castle so merfolk can be used to assault it. Pity that Kalenz's keep is so far from water that merfolk spend too many turns on their way.
CubingForever

Post by CubingForever »

The scenario is not really difficult. I'm a beginner in Wesnoth and played on easy ( :( ). I had about 1200 gold. First I recruited about 10-12 knights and went with Li'sar to the south. There I killed the first leader. After a while all the knights were dead and I summoned all my level 3 types and left them to hide Konrad. I went straight to Asheviere with Li'sar and killed her in round 9 (the first two rounds I wanted to do something other so I sent Li'sar to the wrong place). Li'sar has the Void Armor and the Sceptre.

So:
Version/ Difficulty:
1.10, easy
Scenario difficulty:
Clearance objectives:
clear :D
Storyline:
clear :D
Mayor challenges:
discovering this cool strategy
Fun:
8, because of the many enemy troups
Changes:
not needed

CubingForever
dbm

Post by dbm »

Content Feedback wrote:Note: If you didn't know, the final scenario in Heir to the Throne is named "The Battle for Wesnoth." This thread has nothing to do with the overall game - only this one scenario.

Medium, 1.10.3
Couldn't be clearer -- Kill the Queen!
I enjoy the game greatly, and just played this campaign for the third time. The dialog and storyline provide good flavor and prompt some entertaining speculation about minor character interactions. (Why do those two thugs keep following Li'sar around?)
Keeping all loyal units immobile and completely unscathed.
Depending on what you want from it and how you play it, it can be quite entertaining.
Make Ashevir ask, "What is that godawful screeching noise?" when Gryphons start flapping unexpectedly outside her window, and have someone take notice.
I played the campaign on medium and started the scenario with three Grand Knights from the Horse Plains, the other primary characters and about 1760 gold -- enough to recall the truly impressive army of third- and fourth-level units I had amassed (this was my third time through the campaign, and I was able to level all of my loyal units along with many others.) Instead, I chose not to recall any of them.

I placed my six primary units in front of the encampment in a defensive line. My objective was that none of them would see any action whatsoever, even in this ridiculously dangerous position. On the first turn, I recruited six new Gryphon Riders. On turn two, while the bad guys recruited their first units, I sent the Gryphons due south -- keeping them well out of range of the enemy -- and recruited six new Dwarvish Guardsmen. On turn three, I placed the Dwarvish Guardsmen in a wall just in front of my primary units to give them some protection, recruited a six-pack of Knights, and turned the Gryphons west along the southern border of the map. The first of the enemy reached my Guardsmen on turn four, and most of them survived the initial attack. From this point on, I recruited another six-pack of Knights each turn and used a lucky few of them to replace fallen Guardsmen. The vast and unlucky majority of them were sent screaming into strategic points of the fray, to die gloriously after occupying as many of the enemy as possible for a turn (sometimes six apiece).

The Gryphons stayed carefully just out of enemy range until the very last moment as they worked their way towards the castle. They came over the moat from the south and breached the walls on turn 6, taking Ashevire almost completely by surprise. On turn 5 a few of her recent recruits turned back to try to protect her, but they were too little, too late. It was all over on turn 7. Back at the base camp, ultimately one enemy did break through the wall of fodder far enough to give one of my Grand Knights a scratch on the arm. That was all the action any of my primary units saw. I ran out of gold with which to recruit fodder -- er, Knights -- just about the time the Gryphons got to Ashevire. A few brave Knights survived, as did even a few Guardsmen, to tell the stories of their glory to their grandchildren.

I've played this scenario in the past the way it's probably meant to be played -- going toe-to-toe with the enemy with all of my veterans. It's much tougher that way. It's a very different game to keep all my best units warm and dry off the board while heartlessly recruiting dozens of brave young knights (no doubt newly promoted from Horsemen while still at the Academy) and sending them hurtling to certain death while raw Gryphon recruits sneak around and assassinate the Queen from behind.