Scenario 24: Battle for Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

delirium

Post by delirium »

Help! The Epilogue isn't loading. It keeps giving me "Maps with no header are not supported" or something. I hate this.
Mist
Inactive Developer

Post by Mist »

Somewhere, between the sacred silence and sleep.
Disorder.
Foraglar

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) Battle for Wesnoth

Post by Foraglar »

(1) Beginner, 1.4 (i'm first who completed this campaign on this version?:P)
(2) (5)
(3) They were very very clear :)
(4) Very clear, cool (especially i liked text of the unit who first attacks Asheviere :) ) . Also the surprise when it was said, that i'm not the heir of the throne... Very good job.
(5) Much of 3rd level units, hard to kill.
(6) 10 - it's a very good ending for great, epic campaign.
(7) I dunno, maybe add computer allies (if you defeat a lord in test of clans, then in epilogue he comes to fight by your side with his castle). So that if you complete earlier mission better, it will be great reward for efforts. :eng:

I would like to thank you for giving me all this fun during playing campaign. :wink:
zyx

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium - 1.4.1
(2) 3
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
scott

Post by scott »

It might be good to have some dialog by any clan leaders you have the 1. announce their presence and 2. state that their knights are battling orcs off your flank, on some other imaginary map somewhere. That way you get the illusion of an all-out pitched war without messing up the main tactical battle. You could also have some of that action "spill over" with brawling orcs and knights appearing at the top or bottom of the map after 6-7 turns.

Also, if you spare the gryphons on gryphon mountain, they're supposed to show up here as an ally (maybe fly in after turn 2, it's up to you). I was thrilled to see that part was actually working on the earlier map.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
fareley

Post by fareley »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
hard 1.5.3
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
7 - you have to find out how to kill Ahasviere without being rushed by their armies
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
very clear - just kill her - what i did
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
well they were okay. I'm not a big fan of dialogues like "Take that, queen" but i think there was nothing horribly wrong
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
finding out how to move my Griphons so the green enemy won't kill them with some cavalry (what he did once...). I knew that with only 1200 Gold it wouldn't be that easy, especially because i hadn't a big recruit list (from each type one unit...) and some Problems with the Dwarves defense line. Also main characters were killed very often and i had to restart the whole scenario (but i didn't saveload 8) ). Maybe with 2000 Gold it may be possible recruiting enough knights to defeat all enemies but with 1200 Gold i didn't succeeded. I tried to use only dwarves and healer, then only knights, then dwarves, healer and knights, then dwarves and healer and Leadership guys but i always lost the battle (although i nearly always had fresh recruites at the guard line and the enemy had only 2 chances to attack each of them). I also tried dwarves and healer and archers and last but not least only knights and some mages to kill those pikes who broke my neck
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8 - i think it's a good final scenario, it made fun but sometimes i really was frustrated. Maybe someone might give me a hint how to defeat the enemies army? Because i don't think the scenario is only possible to win on hard with a swarm Gryphons
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Well those Clanlords - they may be a nice support (i had 2 of them) but i think it would be a lot more realistic if they fight at the "invisible battlefield" where their armies are (an army without it's leader who is attacking on his own a much bigger army...) and instead of being their send their personal guard (like some lvl 2 spear-cavalry, don't know how it's called in english)
Ahasviere should stay at home and not run into her end (as she did last game...), maybe the capital could use some Guards and/or a second defense ring (hey, it's the capital, not only a big city - and as such a cruel queen with a lot of enemies i would first improve my home walls...
ankas

Post by ankas »

Hard

5. Only the first horde of attacks is a bit difficult. But with enough gold no problem at all.

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

It is clear and nice.

No big challenges. With gold and knowing the characteristics of every unit in Wesnoth is straightforward.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
I have two suggestions.
1) The elves play an important role in Heir to the Throne. Thus I would suggest to change the scenario a bit placing some forests around your camp so that you can make the best use of the elves. Not because is needed to win the scenario, but because they play that important role as rebels.
2) To make it more difficult and funny Asheviere might be able to rise at some point in time during the battle all dead units. For instance, at turn 10, if the player has already killed 20 enemies, then Asheviere raises 20 undead, of equivalent level of the killed units by the player. If the player has killed a Royal Guard, then Asheviere would be able to rise a Draug or Nightgaunt. That would make this scenario perfect. I miss some undead.
RISCOSnoth

Post by RISCOSnoth »

scott wrote:Note: If you didn't know, the final scenario in Heir to the Throne is named "The Battle for Wesnoth." This thread has nothing to do with the overall game - only this one scenario.

Easy.
Mostly v.clear

Accumulating gold and being able to protect units for them to advance to the next level. e.g. The Siege of Elsenfar would have been impossible without higher level units.
[/quote]
Home of the Northern Elves is set as an epic battle between three sides and yet you never get to see the size of the forces facing eachother. Maybe that would slow things down.

Also, what about more artwork of Lisar, the same picture seems to keep re-appearing?
LemonTea

Post by LemonTea »

OP wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(1) Easy and Hard, both on 1.4.5

(2) On Easy: At first i got pwned twice, cos I had very few good units for recall, and didn't realise I could recruit knights. But then I saw I got knights and it was a pushover. Difficulty 3.
On Hard: Surprisingly easy. The massive gold bonus at the end of Test of the Clan pushed me from negative gold to well over 1000. Quite simple after that (I had a much better recall list, and the knights filled in the rest). Difficulty: 5

(3) Very. Kill the leader in the middle and done.

(4) Clear. Not too spectacular but works.

(5) On hard I had the problem of protecting my more fragile units until I can recall/recruit a sufficiently large force to advance. Eventually I just put 4 dwarvish lords at the front as a shield to buy me some turns. They all died but it was worth it :eng:

(6) It was intense at first, and had a few moments that made me REALLY concentrate on the screen, as though I could affect the balance by doing that :lol2: Once the initial wave was over and it was your 20 guys vs Asheviere's 2 guys it wasn't exactly that exciting and I just brought the level to a quick conclusion. Still fun, I'd say 7/10.

(7) Some unexpected events? As far as I remember it was quite straightforward and nothing besides the expected slaughter happened.
JW's Wesnoth personality quiz wrote:You are a Skeleton: a lifeless animation of bone controlled by a necromancer. See a therapist.
:augh:
Trucidation

Post by Trucidation »

scott wrote:(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
Medium, 1.4.6
scott wrote:(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
5, looks hard at first, and turn 2 will have you shitting bricks when you see how many units are being fielded against you, but the tide quickly turns when you notice the enemy isn't recruiting any more - despite owning dozens of villages. I seriously though I was in for a full-out bloodbath.
scott wrote:(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
Pretty clear, although I was surprised some posted that killing the Queen doesn't immediately end the scenario - I suppose most players kill everything else before finally doing the Queen in.
scott wrote:(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It was great, and I liked the different dialog you can get depending on who deals the Queen the killing blow - although I was somewhat disappointed Kalenz didn't have his own dialog and simply used the generic unit kill one. Didn't check the different quotes when you deal the first hit though.
scott wrote:(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
No throwing my computer out the window whenever an encounter results in the enemy lancer killing my unit in 2 hits while my unit's counterattacks did not hit it at all.
scott wrote:(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
6. Meh, the dialog was fine, but the dramatical momentum died pretty fast once you realise that your kamikaze knight rushes are actually enough to stop the enemy advance, and that there aren't any reinforcements.
scott wrote:(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Just a note on the campaign - it's fairly elf-centric, but after the cave scenarios and towards the end of the campaign, your elves are sitting there gathering dust. Dwarves aren't fast enough and their piss-poor defence in open terrain makes using them unattractive as well. Let's not even talk about mermen.

I did have a bunch of high level human units (the outlaws from way back), but seriously, against heavy cavalry let's not kid around - your only option is to fight back using your own heavy hitting knights. Anyone else is just asking to get impaled on a lance when the enemy unit survives to get its turn.

- - -

The ending was somewhat anticlimatic and disappointing, although I didn't really find any fault with it. I guess I was expecting another cutscene a la the elven council, but oh well. Also, the enemy didn't really put up much of a fight, and the Queen actually left her post to accost nearby units - big no-no: I could've easily steamrolled her with the nearby knights, but I chose to clear the rest of the map first.

Overall, I enjoyed the campaign, although only the elven units really got to max out, while the dwarves didn't see much action, and - again - the mermen ultimately had very little to do (the river-crossing scenario wasn't really much of a fight-based map, admit it). My human units had some nice advancements as well although for the most part when I had a choice it always seemed better to take the elves (unmatched forest defense, and most elven units have ranged retaliation).
silent

Post by silent »

Medium 1.4.7
7. I forgot I could recruit knights and spammed dwarven guardsmen instead
Very
Pretty good. Love the betrayal
Might help if I realised I could recruit knights. Absolute bloodshed occured
10. Bloodbath, Bloodshed whatever you want to describe it. Nice way to send LV 3 units to their graves
None. If you want all out bloodshed, Guardsmen FTW
AThousandYoung

Re: Scenario Review: Liberty 8 - Glory

Post by AThousandYoung »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
1.4.7, medium

3. Very easy.

10. Perfectly.

6. Lisar becoming Queen was a nice twist, but Konrad marrying her isn't.

Keeping skirmishers off important units.

Triggered events are always good. Swap the General and the Orc and have the Orc Recall nagas. The General, being a General, might have some trick up his sleeve, such as cavalry from behind or bright lighting around his castle. Maybe Asheviere can teleport to the cavalry leader's castle once Konrad's forces get too close, or she might Mind Control Konrad into fighting with Li'sar over who will rule...

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No.

(9) If you know a bit of the Wesnoth Markup Language - do you think that the WML of this scenario is clear and well commented? If not which part would you like to be documented better?
N/A
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

medium. 1.7
1. (disappointing)
very clear
very interesting and clear, I liked Delfador's speech when he killed the queen, he goes on raving about his titles and positions.
none.
leave some troops to guard the queen.

I realized by turn 2 that the combined might of 4 leader was to much for my 20 elites. so my strategy became more underhanded. I had most of my elites and a shyde go south, past the river, and up the bridge to kill asheviere, (surprisingly, I won before turn 10). I used my newly recruited knights to hold off asheviere's near invincible army(which was still advancing, due to sheer size.) while my elites snuck past asheviere's army to kill her. my silver mages moved back and forth to finish units off.
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

medium, 1.7.4

2 - just roll over the enemy with all collected high lvl units and a dragon hoard of gold

clear

ok, for the final scenario I expected a bit more (don't know what exactly)

none

8 - not to mind own casualties (last scenario) allows more recklessness

I liked the former mentioned idea of giving the queen some (free) undead as soon as the AI casualties increase
Attachments
HttT-The_Battle_for_Wesnoth_replay.gz
(65.09 KiB) Downloaded 1032 times
Kristjan

Post by Kristjan »

(1) difficulty = hard, version = 1.6.5

(2) scenario difficulty on a scale of 1-10 = 6

(3) the clearness of objective(s) = very straightforward, killing one certain leader is enough

(4) clarity and interestingness of dialogue and storyline = understood everything, but Asheviere's words and actions were anticlimactic - so not very interesting

(5) major challenge(s) = finding a good enough tactic to fight spam on small area of grassland for which I was totally unprepared

(6) fun on a scale of 1-10 = 3

(7) how to make it more enjoyable for the likes of me = bigger map, more spiteful and overconfident queen who actually joins the battle herself, more blood