Scenario 24: Battle for Wesnoth

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 24: Battle for Wesnoth

Post by Content Feedback »

Note: If you didn't know, the final scenario in Heir to the Throne is named "The Battle for Wesnoth." This thread has nothing to do with the overall game - only this one scenario.

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
Tux2B

Post by Tux2B »

(1) easy and 0.9.4
(2) 7
(3) very clear
(5) first, send some gryphons south, if possible taking the Queen's villages. When some units are busy with the gryphons, kill the other units that have been recruited. Killing the leaders is not very useful as they won't recruit anymore. Once there are no more units, or only a few, it is easy to kill the Queen.
(6) (7) 6 It is fun, because it is a "big battle", though there should be some more events (I played this on version 0.9.4, tell me if things have changed), like reinforcements coming, unexpected things... It would make the "big battle" more complete, IMO.
"There are two kind of campaign strategies : the good and the bad ones. The good ones almost always fail because of unforeseen consequences that make the bad ones succeed." -- Napoleon
pjr

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) Battle for Wesnoth

Post by pjr »

Easy, 0.x, 1.0 and 1.1.2. Comments are based on 1.1.2.
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Very clear, not very interesting.
The only challenge is to avoid carelessly losing a central character.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Starting with 2000 gold and the ability to recruit knights makes this scenario almost impossible to lose. I suggest instead having an allied force of knights as a diversion and possible danger on the flank. Alternatively, make the queen's forces strong enough for kamikaze knight charges to be less likely to succeed. Also, Asheviere's character is an anticlimax. She needs a personality, and something interesting to say. Perhaps some of the content of the Epilogue could be hinted at on Turn 1?
Sly

Post by Sly »

1.1.2a, Normal

1, when you have your host of troops ... and more when you can recruit dwarved guards and knights (I didn't even noticed than you can)

Perfectly clear, I even tried an assassination, but by the time the gryphon reached a village near the Queen to open the way for the Silver Mages, my troops had slaughter every other enemy ...

Clear

... not many

6, a *great* battle is fun :wink:

Maybe some unexpected surprises if the player storm the enemy troops too soon ...

I had 4 grand knights, 4 dwarved lords and 4 dwarven sentinel who almost made all the work (plus healers and some elven champions and lvl2 dwarves)
Fafnir

Post by Fafnir »

Normal. 1.2 with 1000 gold

I send six mermaid including a priestess in two waves to the river protected by the dwarves and the best knight/paladins. The first turns were tough since the guards have a strong punch. So I was careful not to overexposed my champions.
The mermaids attracted the chief nearby and a swarms of dragoons. Some were killed but two reached level 3.

At turn 11 the enemy soldiers (except the chiefs in their castles) were kia.
Spigot

battle for wesnoth

Post by Spigot »

1.2.3 hard

clear

fine

surviving the royal guard

I think this is the right kind of ending scenario, where you pull out all your lvl 3's and have at it. But since this is hard mode, I think the enemy should start with more gold than it did; Its not quite hard enough if you have a full stable of lvl 3's. It would be cool if you were forced to rely on "mermen of assasination" to circle around and take out asheviere before the royal guard takes you out. This might be accomplished by giving asheviere 0 income, but substantially increasing the enemy's overall starting gold. And maybe improving the NE defensive position a bit.
cph

Post by cph »

1) Medium, 1.2.4
2) 6
3) Couldn't be clearer :)
4) Good
5) Composition of the front rank required a lot of thought every turn; the key is to keep inflicting all the damage you can, subject to having a solid front rank at turn's end. Because dwarves, esp. dwarven stalwarts, are key to this, the short movement of dwarves means you can easily find you don't have the unit you want available to plug a hole.

The start is quite tricky - the enemy recruit 4 keeps full of stuff immediately, which makes the player's keep look pretty small; just getting a tenable line of troops from the river to the camp in place before the enemy hit in force is tricky. By turn 6 or 7, the unlimited flow of troops from your camp, plus levelling up of units already deployed, gets you to the point where the enemy aren't going to break through.

The other risk of losing is Kalenz again, the bane of my campaign; as he doesn't have leadership, but has a very good ranged attack, he's too good not to put in the front line, and not tough enough to be completely sure he won't get killed. E.g. making the first line from river to camp you are almost certainly using Kalenz as the dwarves won't reach the river fast enough.

6) 7 - a fun complex field battle.
7) It's a pity the river can't be brought into it more; I wanted a last chance to use my mermen, but the AI chose to try outflanking in the north instead, so my mermen ended up making land forays to use their storm tridents. That's probably my strategy that needs tuning, not the level.

The enemy wash up like a tide, and then ebb away once their strength is spent. It would be good to contrive a way to give them a second wind (excuse the mixed metaphores); maybe have some of Ashevere's gold from the villages held back &released around turn 10 or 12. Or have one of her armies off "fighting the clans" return mid-battle.

In return, I'd like 1 extra square in the player's keep, so I'm not so outpaced by their recruitment in the early turns.

8 ) start gold ~1550
Grand Marshal Aditya

Post by Grand Marshal Aditya »

(1) Medium
(2) 6
(3) easily clear
(4) fine
(5) Huge waves of attacks on three fronts
(6) 8
(7) Well, I was able to just mass 15 level threes with rest as Knights with two or three Gryphons every turn. Then I ambushed the Queen when everyone rushed at my Knights. The Queen should be made a little more careful and not so recklessly offensive...
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
andrewbwm

Post by andrewbwm »

1.2.7 hero
pretty clear, only one problem, am i supposed to kill Asheviere and then the scenario is over? Because it isn't happening in my case, i killed her, but those armies keep on fighting.
Edit: killed the other leaders too, that did the trick, but that just made the objectives, not clear any more, the objective isn't to kill Asheviere, it's to kill all the leaders.
It was pretty ok, nothing to innovative though.
The never ending horde of enemies. :P
The map should be larger and you would have to kill all the leaders before getting to Asheviere, and she needs less villages if you do this.
Jozrael

Post by Jozrael »

I think there's a bug when u finish her with li'sar. I tested out multiple ways of killing her. There's 4:

Konrad killer
Li'sar killer
Delfador killer
Other killer

All the others resulted in immediate victory
But when Li'Sar killed Asheviere, the game kept on going. It was weird :x
mmqwertz

Post by mmqwertz »

1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
medium
absolutly clear.
I killed Ashivere with Li'sar and the scenario was over (Version 1.3.10)
ok.
keep the enemy busy for the first 4 turns, but as the AI is playing very poor (my griffons distracted half the enemy units) so it was pretty easy
The map should be much larger and in my opinion the last battle has to be the most difficult scenario of the whole campaign. Like it is, I didn't have to build up high level units, only knights would have done the job (I guess, didn't try).
Carnildo

Post by Carnildo »

1.2.7, easy, 2400 gold left over from the previous scenario

Quite clear

Okay

None

Less money, and a larger map with more varied terrain. With the open terrain and flood of high-level units coming at you, there's really no room for subtlety. I spent the first two turns recalling my best units, followed by wave after wave of newly-recruited knights. By the end of turn 7, there were no enemy units left besides the leaders, and I still had about 1500 gold left.
Djanbe

Post by Djanbe »

(1) Hard (1300 gold.) EDIT: version 1.3.11

(2) 7.

(3) Quite clear.

(4) Clear, but I feel like the Queen could be more interesting.

(5) Trying to coordinate so many troops- trying to keep all the wounded protected and healed, the match-ups good, the important people active but not endangered, and the two leaderships applying to as many knights as possible.

(6) 8- Great fun! Big battle with lots of interesting troops types. Also, I disagree with some of the earlier posters- I like the open terrain. It makes this battle a little more unique from all the other ones, and really makes you focus on troop coordination rather than grand strategies.

(7) Make it harder! This is the last battle of the biggest campaign- I wanted it to take at least a couple days of experimentation and thinking and reloading (and losing all my level 3's and 4's one by one!). That way it would really feel like an ending when I finally beat it- which should be when a wounded Li'sar and Kondar limp into the capital and take down the queen with their last breaths.
velroij

Post by velroij »

Easy. Latest? version out of kubuntu
Building a great force and clearing the ememys and killing some of the leaders
Very good
Training mages
Very fun
Uh a next part? a second part of the veldtocht
Sovereign

Post by Sovereign »

i found that if you have 1000+ gold when you get there you can just recruit knights endlessly and the computer doesn't seem to be able to deal with them.