Scenario 20a: Home of the North Elves

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

zyx

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) Home of the North Elves

Post by zyx »

(1) Medium - 1.4.1
(2) 1
(3) Clear
(4) Clear and interesting
(5) No defeated units.
(6) 5
(7)
fareley

Post by fareley »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
hard, 1.5.3
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
not very clear but when i read here at the forum that just konrad has to stay on a forest it was okay
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
well that the humans say "attack" but don't do it was confusing...
and some elvish dialogues were annoying (and the fact that my Arcane Mage spoke with the Elvish Leader although he was standing at the left corner of the Map...)
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
definitely the time. i recruited 5 thiefs and a gryphon (no one of them survived :oops: but without them guarding my leader and defeating an orcish crossbowman i opened a path for my leader to run through. without it i wouldn't have made it)
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
8. It's a funny hide and run scenario but may be frustrating if you can't find a way through
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
maybe all important persons should have to get to the forest. The humans still need too much time to attack but are a lot stronger than the poor orcs (what about giving them some crossbowman, let the elves start from the north-east corner so they may split their troops and won't just rush the humans. as a result, the humans may attack earlier the orcs and the battlefield would be a real battlefield and no green idyll with a very small but heavy fight at the human base...
elves attacking in front of their forest is a good idea (because you really need them to run through i think) but eigher they should be slowed down (by placing their home at the north of the forest) or spawn/come out of the forest when Konrad is near (to support him - as the other 2 elve cavalry do)
Buddy Jimm

Post by Buddy Jimm »

(1) What difficulty levels have you played the scenario on?

Medium, 1.3.17

2. I mean, getting to the forest isn't exactly a cakewalk, but there's not a whole lot of thinking involved. Distract the enemy with scouts, send everyone east who can make it east, send the rest fleeing west to what would be certain doom. Thank goodness for Gwahilir.

Clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?

"And Delfador, and Kalenz, and..."

Please do not remove this conversation.

The map's very simple. There are no specific challenges to meeting it.

6. For being yet another "AHH RUN" intermission map, this one is nice. The fog of war makes a nice touch, which is a good thing for a required aspect.

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?

Here's a wacko thought, why not make the terrain a bit more interesting by making it more into a floodplain. I know, ideas are cheap, but I actually might go back and try this.
After death, the doctor.
Sangel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Sangel »

Most recently, Medium in 1.6.
2. The Elves did all the fighting for me; they completely controlled the centre of the map and there were no Orcs or Loyalists to attack me.
Very clear.
Very clear and appropriate.
None. The game had recalled all my loyal L3 units with 6+ moves, giving me eight L3 units even before I recruited some extras.
3. With no challenge, there's not much fun to be had.
Balancing AI-heavy maps is difficult - perhaps make it so that the Elves leave the forest later, and thus have to carve through more enemies to get to you?
"Pure logic is the ruin of the spirit." - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
dELFador

Post by dELFador »

medium. 1.7
2. (I don't understand why other people think it's so hard.)
quite clear.
very interesting.
moving my units fast enough
none.

my stategy was to have a shyde have my units, and my paladin move west at a 6/6 pace, (stopping for nothing) while the 6 gryphon riders suicidally held off any enemy units. that got close enough
BigCheese

Post by BigCheese »

medium, 1.7.3

3 - the allied AI did most of the fighting, delaying both loyalist and orc forces while inflicting (and reciving) high damage

clear

very good; but the announced clash between loyalist and orc vanguard didn't happen; both sides fought the elves most of the time (or better: the elves attacked them)

resisting to join the big fight; getting last hits (ally got many); reaching the forest in time after recalling a movement 5 healer :S

8 - suprisingly entertaining, even without much fighting from the players side; it's nice to see a strong, aggressive allied AI; also liked the allied riders bringing messages and the elven vanguard coming directly in my direction;

none
Attachments
HttT-Home_of_the_North_Elves_replay.gz
(79.73 KiB) Downloaded 863 times
Cornuthaum

Post by Cornuthaum »

Medium, 1.6.5

2 - Other than spending two turns fending off the orcs, the giant elf relief army completely wiped out the initial loyalist army, and then played Ablative Hero Defense (sounds so much nicer than "Meat Shields") to keep the giant bottom army away from me.

"Reach the Forest" - I wasn't sure, at first, whether it was only the forest or the castle there.

Hail there, elf-friends! - Okay, I grinned at the campiness of that. I liked the bit where Li'Sar and Konrad talk about the Burden of Command(tm), and how Delfador is not too happy with being deemed expendable.

Keeping the subpar Loyal/Not-having-Quick units the game assigned me alive. I'd rather choose which units I am allowed to field for free than spend an hour keeping my lone ASsassin alive.

7 - Pretty cool. There really should be a warning about not going close to the human camp, though - twenty+ units bunched up in one giant deathball of hate, and engaging them is bad juju indeed.

A few more villages in the middle, so we don't lose all our gold from recalling the much-needed promoted high speed units.
Sam-Lloyd

Post by Sam-Lloyd »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Challenging 1.8.1

Not totally clear about where Konrad should reach exactly

Quite interesting

Keep my main units alive and kicking

No idea yet
Attachments
(73.27 KiB) Downloaded 888 times
BubbleScreen

Post by BubbleScreen »

Medium, 1.6

(2) How difficult did you find the scenario?

Not perfect- clarify what you mean by "the forest," though it's of little consequence.

Delfador is not disposable. Excellent.

Distracting the Orcs. Loyalists were irrelevant.

(6) How fun do you think the scenario is?
7 - Great atmosphere w/ fog. Aggressive allies were nice, as were the riders who came along. It has potential to be awesome.

Give the Orcs and Humans more of a head start. As is, there's no big "clash of armies." Maybe position the Humans slightly Westward, make them recruit fewer Swordsmen/Red mages and more Horsemen/Cavalrymen. Maybe a couple fencers for added mayhem.
roman_sharp

Post by roman_sharp »

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?

Normal, 1.8.3

Clear

Good.

Form the squad of warriors which make it to the east, do a sacrifices

None.
shadowblack

Re: Scenario 20a: Home of the North Elves

Post by shadowblack »

1.9.7, Normal

5 due to the fog

Not very clear. I wasn’t sure if I just had to reach the edge of the forest, or the elven citadel. More importantly, I thought I had to survive until the end fo turns, but that proved false when the scenario ended with my success on turn 14/18 (4 turns early)

Fine.

Avoiding losses, since I had very limited forces

Put some persistent labels that hint where the player needs to go.

(8) Was there any event that caused you to lose the game and forced you to reload or restart the scenario?
No

Thoughts:
The fog and the limited forces available to me made this scenario different from most – in a good way.
Attachments
(80.92 KiB) Downloaded 858 times
You are a Dark Adept: You immerse yourself in the dark arts... potentially with great rewards...
Skaithe

Post by Skaithe »

1.9.7 Champion - Challenging

7-I found myself trying to help the elves as much as I could near the city but I couldn't save them all before I made it to the city. :(

Very clear.

Good to know Konrad is ready to spend lives for his own safety. >_<

Keeping vets and elf npcs alive.

I thought it was great. Maybe make Konrad a bit more compassionate.
Attachments
(70.22 KiB) Downloaded 1005 times
Maiklas3000

Post by Maiklas3000 »

(1) Difficulty and version? Hardest; 1.9.7
(2) How difficult? (1-10) 4
(3) Objectives? Hmm, not sure exactly where to go, but that's maybe a good thing.
(4) Dialog? Okay.
(5) Challenges? The biggest challenge was to avoid accidentally misclicking a unit into the enemy lines and then being unable to undo.
(6) How fun? (1-10) 9, I really like threading the line between the forces.
(7) Changes? None.

Screenshot and replay attached. I basically followed the river bank, which was a good idea, until it wasn't. I got too close to the human camp and almost lost a Knight.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Attachments
(95.47 KiB) Downloaded 823 times
Ninjuri

Post by Ninjuri »

Easy 1.10.2
100%
I like the idea of racing through a major battle, but that didn't really happen. The whole time i was going i only saw orcs. They were just pouring out from the top, i saw maybe 1 loyalist. It felt like the battle was just me.
Right before i got under cover of allied troops, there was a turn or two where i only had heros left, so i had to reload it a couple times and try to make them all cover each others flanks, because one person kept getting ganged up on and dying.
I noticed the positioning of the loyalist encampment was far to the east, this might have been why i only saw one of them. The way i epicly imagined this scenario in my head, the two armies would already be clashing all along the plains, and the player would have to dart through and around their troops, who were mostly preoccupied with the battle at hand, and being restricted due to each others ZOCs.
Fate is against me.
oea

Post by oea »

this turned out to be a very hard level for me i only spawned one griffon that i wanted to level with me at the start because i read other experiences on this thread and figured it would be ok. i skirted the snow and started towards the river all the while noticing more and more orcs at the fringe of my fov, then the loyalist started to appear being careful not to trigger the "there they are after them" (not sure what this would do didnt want to find out). and so the front lines of the battle started right at the edge of my field of view.
at first i figured if i waited i could then blast thru the remnants but after doing nothing for two whole turns (while the timer keeps counting days...) and seeing things not really slow up and went back and had to cross the freaking river to the south and then just before the loyalist castle recross luckily at this point the orcs won and i annihilated 4 of the last 5 orcs (the last one ran west) but then the next wave of loyalist started crossing almost immediately to my east so i had to run almost straight north finally i saw some friendly elves but some of my units gots seriously pummeled allowing my slow units to retreat,
i finally reached the woods about halfway between the elf capitol and the edge of the map.
the only elves i saw outside of the woods were scouts! needless to say i was non-plussed that my experience here was so different then most seem to have been.
but i did make it without losing any units and even had 1 day to spare so i guess it was ok.
(playing 1.10.5 by the way)