Scenario 19a: Snow Plains

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Content Feedback
Battle for Wesnoth

Scenario 19a: Snow Plains

Post by Content Feedback »

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Mainline Campaigns: Scenario FeedbackDevelopment & Overall Feedback
User-made Add-ons: Feedback
pjr

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) Snow Plains

Post by pjr »

Medium 1.0, Easy 0.7 (I think) to 1.1.2. Comments are based on 1.1.2.
Very clear.
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
There is very little of either, which gives the scenario an unfinished feel.
Avoiding killing the leader before collecting the sword.
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Randomise the location of the sword - for instance, it could be in one of three villages around the enemy castle. Also, make the enemy a little stronger. He's the wimpiest opponent in the campaign.
mega

Post by mega »

(1) medium, 1.1.2
(2) 1
(3) ok
(4) ok
(5) not overrecruiting
(6) 2
(7) it could be the perfect close quarters mayhem scenario, but the enemy is so weak it's not even funny
williamager

Post by williamager »

Explanatory Comments: I can beat this scenario easily in 9 turns. But to get the sword, I have to wait for another 9 turns while Konrad moves along at 2 hexes per turn, while doing nothing - the enemy only has two units after the 8th turn or so - I can kill off the non-leader rather easily, since I have around 6 lvl 3 and 2 lvl 2 units surrounding the enemy that just have to sit around waiting for Konrad. This is absurdly boring, and most likely makes this the most boring scenario in the campaign so far.

1) Medium
2) 1
3) Very clear
4) There is very little, as indicated in other responses - almost none after the start. This could be greatly improved.
5) Waiting 9 extra turns to get the sword.
6) 1
7) Do something about the boredom while waiting for Konrad. I believe that you recently changed this to allow others to use the sword, which is a very good idea. It would be nice if it were possible to move the sword around after the battle as well, so I can give it to a slow unit. Location randomization would be nice, and why not put it somewhere away from the leader, and closer to the player, so that the player isn't able to use the chosen unit in battle? The enemy needs to be made stronger somehow - he crumbles nearly immediately, and I have to take care not to kill him.

Or perhaps you should turn this into a journey type scenario, where Konrad has to get to the other side, and leader death doesn't trigger victory. In that way, you could make the leader stronger, and put the sword next to him (or even beneath him), so that the player has to do more fighting to get the very powerful sword.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

As said, the enemy leader is a pushover, momma's child and wiener to boot :)

I encountered another problem with this scenario: Konrad is not able to pick up the sword.
When I move him (finally) to the tree where the blade lies, previously discovered but rejected by Kalenz, it says that "only the leader of an army may pick up hte sword". Okay, as far as I noticed Konrad is the one in charge - where is the problem?
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
scott

Post by scott »

Xandria wrote:As said, the enemy leader is a pushover, momma's child and wiener to boot :)

I encountered another problem with this scenario: Konrad is not able to pick up the sword.
When I move him (finally) to the tree where the blade lies, previously discovered but rejected by Kalenz, it says that "only the leader of an army may pick up hte sword". Okay, as far as I noticed Konrad is the one in charge - where is the problem?
It's a bug, and it's fixed.

Edit: it's fixed in 1.1.7+svn, so it will be out in the next release.
Last edited by scott on July 17th, 2006, 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Xandria

Post by Xandria »

Well, I am playing 1.1.7... hm. Who needs a flaming sword, anyway.
The fight against human stupidity is endless, but we must never give it up.
- Jan Werich
scott

Post by scott »

Xandria wrote: Who needs a flaming sword, anyway.
May I suggest you try the swamp of dread then? It should not be a... waste of time ;);).
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Warhangel

Post by Warhangel »

scott wrote: It's a bug, and it's fixed.

So, in Windows version 1.1.7 this bug still exist? And I must wait for release?
Or, I may install version 1.0.2, load my save, take sword, save and load this save in version 1.1.7?
scott

Post by scott »

Warhangel wrote:
scott wrote: It's a bug, and it's fixed.

So, in Windows version 1.1.7 this bug still exist? And I must wait for release?
Or, I may install version 1.0.2, load my save, take sword, save and load this save in version 1.1.7?
1. Yes.
2. No, you can fix it yourself. Locate the WML in httt_utils.cfg that gives you the sword and change "description=" to "type=" then restart the scenario from the beginning.
3. Maybe.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Warhangel

Post by Warhangel »

scott wrote:
Warhangel wrote: So, in Windows version 1.1.7 this bug still exist? And I must wait for release?
1. Yes.
2. No, you can fix it yourself. Locate the WML in httt_utils.cfg that gives you the sword and change "description=" to "type=" then restart the scenario from the beginning.
3. Maybe.
Thanks. But I just change "description=" to "type=" in my save before take the sword and this work ;)

But, I not see any attack animation after this. It's a bug or this animation just not ready in this version?
scott

Post by scott »

Warhangel wrote:
scott wrote: 1. Yes.
3. Maybe.
Thanks. But I just change "description=" to "type=" in my save before take the sword and this work ;)

But, I not see any attack animation after this. It's a bug or this animation just not ready in this version?
I think the art is being worked on, since he has a new sprite.
Hope springs eternal.
Wesnoth acronym guide.
Warhangel

Post by Warhangel »

scott wrote:
Warhangel wrote: Thanks. But I just change "description=" to "type=" in my save before take the sword and this work ;)

I think the art is being worked on, since he has a new sprite.
Ok. Thanks!!!
joshudson

Post by joshudson »

1.1.8, easy.

1. Pushover.

Clear.

Rather, actually. Much better than 1.0

None really.

8. Another flying level. It would be 10 if I didn't have to wait so long to walk Konrad so far for the sword. It wouldn't make sense to give it to a sylph, now would it?

Move the sword to the set of trees near the orc leader but closer to the player's probable path.
CHKDSK has repaired bad sectors in CHKDSK.EXE
unokab

Re: Scenario Review: (HTTT) Snow Plains

Post by unokab »

puh finally registered.

i just played on Wesnoth 1.4.1

There was no sword!

I took a bunch of 2nd lvl units and some griffons and leveled them all. Level is ok.

What happened to the sword?

There was no. Only leader cab pick up message.

I had Konrad visit most of the villages in the north himself before end of turns.

Plz help.