Scenario 18: A Choice Must be Made

Feedback for the mainline campaign Heir to the Throne.

Moderators: Forum Moderators, Developers

Ninjuri

Re: Scenario 18: A Choice Must be Made

Post by Ninjuri » May 10th, 2012, 1:05 pm

(1) What difficulty levels and game versions have you played the scenario on?
easy 1.10.2
(2) How difficult did you find the scenario? (1-10)
(3) How clear did you find the scenario objectives?
100%
(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
Storyline was decent, always nice to have a choice of destiny to make things feel a little more open ended.
(5) What were your major challenges in meeting the objectives of the scenario?
My major challenge was trying to scale the mountains and reach the orc leader, who i decided i wanted to take out. I had a smaller party fighting the undead, who managed to win in half the time as the one i sent against the orcs, so they just sat there on some villages and took out the occasional skeleton that would spawn after a while.
(6) How fun do you think the scenario is? (1-10)
(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
Make the orc camp a little closer or add a path to get across the river northwest for a more direct route to it.
Fate is against me.

SBak

Post by SBak » October 3rd, 2013, 6:20 pm

Easy and medium 1.8.5, 1.10.2 and 1.10.5

About a 5 - but I've always gone south and never felt any inclination to go in any other direction.

Very clear.

(4) How clear and interesting did you find the dialog and storyline of the scenario?
It's good that Kalenz is given some depth to his character, though I feel it's a missed opportunity to give the player a few tips through Delfador and Kalenz discussing the choices and options available. It seems strange that you have two very wise and seasoned veterans (Delfador and Kalenz) leading two inexperienced and young leaders through the campaign and there not to be some discussion at a fork in the campaign. The advice could be conflicting, but in a good natured way.

I first started out by using Mermen as an obstruction at the bridge to hold off the Orcs but the Orcs, who have difficulties with the concept of respect tended to destroy at least one of the Mermen. I found Gryphons somewhat better for XP and they're really good against Orcs but as so often happens the Orcish leader would try and spoil the fun by recruiting Orcish Assassins.

Dealing with the Undead isn't that much of a challenge here given that you have Dwarves, Mages and the level 2 Shaman lines. Kalenz makes a good back up unit for Red Mages.

6 - comparative to other scenarios in the campaign (but it would get an extra point relative to other Undead in the swamp scenarios).

(7) What, if any, are changes you would have made to the scenario to make it more fun?
No none really.

bengrf

Post by bengrf » June 10th, 2014, 11:50 pm

Normal 1.10.7
I recruited 2 keeps of gryphons and sent them north over the mountins swung them into the snow and destroyed the orc leader and his army by turn 6
fool proof
avrage
keeping gryphons alive
I recruited 2 keeps of gryphons and sent them north over the mountins swung them into the snow
I did not want to deal with a long battle after the last one so this was essentially a screw it all scenario. So maby not have the map so imposing upon start.

Linthar

Post by Linthar » July 9th, 2014, 8:00 pm

(1) What difficulty level and version of Wesnoth have you played the scenario on?
Medium Difficulty 1.10.7

The objectives were mostly clear. Except for the fact that there is little reason to suspect there is actually a third path you can take, let alone how to actually do so. I'm wondering if that is intentional as that branch felt noticeably less polished then the other two branches, so keeping the option hidden might be intended to prevent new players from taking that path.

This scenario finally shows the tension that should have been part of the alliance from the beginning. Still the fact that Li'sar's army has somehow vanished since we last saw it two scenarios ago is rather glaring. She acts like she is in a position to make demands, and if the army she had with her was still there she might be, but as things stand she is a single unit threatening an army of elves, dwarves and merman who have no reason to support her.

There were none. Armies of level 1 and 2 units are not a threat at this point in the campaign. When I took on the undead the orcs couldn't even reach me in time to hinder me, and while the undead were a factor when I was fighting the orcs on a different run through of the level my army was so much stronger then my opponents that I was able to fight both armies at the same time without any difficulty, in fact I sent a bunch of units south just to farm more xp.

3. The enemies are far too weak for the scenario to be interesting.

The enemies need to be buffed, especially the undead who were complete pushovers.

darkeye28

Post by darkeye28 » March 12th, 2015, 6:57 pm

1)easy,1.12
2)3
3)clear
4)very cool
5)choose what side to go... :lol:
6)7
7)more events (?)
Why are you reading this? Are you stupid? There is nothing to see here, stop reading this now! Or I will... Anyway, do you like One Piece?

SigurdFireDragon
Developer

Post by SigurdFireDragon » March 27th, 2016, 10:07 pm

Played on 1.12.5 Hero (Normal) 678 gold

This was my first time playing this scenario, but happened to read to a little to far in the walkthrough, so I knew where the 3rd path was. So I played this scenario to be able to continue to any of the 3 paths at the end, as I want to explore all of them. Here the replay stops at my decision point.

My scenario strategy: Use elvish air force with gryphons for village capture to take care of northern part of map. As the air force has expensive upkeep, Deploy loyal merfolk for the river and mostly loyals and cheap elvish scouts to handle the southern front, to keep upkeep costs reasonable.
Attachments
HttT-A_Choice_Must...replay-T28-1X1.gz
1.12.5 Normal
(114.78 KiB) Downloaded 126 times

Caladbolg

Post by Caladbolg » March 28th, 2016, 6:03 pm

1.12.5, medium.

4. That is, for taking out both armies. I didn't try going only after one but it'd probably be 3 for south, 5 for north (dealing with only north would be harder than taking on both armies at once; I'll elaborate in point 7).

Perfectly clear.

Mostly clear except the part when Li'sar says that she'd be ok with letting Konrad go now that she has the scepter. Once again, her 'mission' was not to get the scepter but to defeat the traitor. If she's going to abandon the mission she had been given and oppose the queen now that she has the scepter, that's alright, but then it should be explained and not hand-waved.

Traversing the mountains :augh: .

7. Like in the previous scenario, the map is awesome- it is vast and open and the improvements in artwork are very noticable. I last played it on a much older version and this map has considerably lighter and livelier colors which is great. That being said, traversing the mountains is boring and the undead are easily defeated so taking out either side individually isn't really a source of excitement.

Make the northern mountains more open.
Reasons:
Bullet points:
-starting gold: 675
-recruits(1): Mage
-recalls(15): Arch Mage (loyal), Bandit, Dwarf Fighter, Stalwart, Thunderer, 2x Steelclad, 2x Thunderguard, Druid, Rider, Gryphon Rider, Silver & White Mage, Netcaster (loyal)
-Kalenz, Rider, Druid, Gryphon and all dwarves except 1 Steelclad go N; the rest go S. N army has units that can easily move in mountains and a druid which would hopefully become a shyde and learn to fly; S army has mostly mages and 2 melee heavy-hitters (Steelclad & Bandit)
-turn 6: most of the undead army defeated in a single turn
-turn 10: I'm close enough to the undead leader that I can defeat him in this turn; however, I'll wait until I surround the other enemy leader so that I start next scenarios with the same conditions
-turn 12: 4 units prove to be insufficient to kill a single orc assassin who manages to poison them all; Silver mage teleports north to prevent the other assassin from taking my villages
-turn 14: most of N army defeated; everyone starts moving towards the leader
-turn 18: N leader surounded and brought down to low HP
-I saved on turn 18 before making a single last move: for north route that is steelclad killing the leader; for the south route, that is a mage advancing to red mage by killing the leader; for the river route that is moving the netcaster to the east edge of the map (that ending is in the replay)
-turns taken: 18/30
-end: 569 gold, 32/32 villages
-carryover: 381
-no losses, no reloads
-advancements(4): Li'sar->lvl 3, Fighter->Steelclad, Steelclad->Lord, Bandit->Highwayman ( +Mage->Red Mage on S route)
-XP (not counting those at last level or below 20% XP): Arch Mage, White Mage, Steelclad (~1/2); Stalwart, Thunderguard (~1/3); Mage, Druid (~3/4)
-dmg dealt: +6%
-dmg taken: +7%
-In hindsight, I probably could've sent a Sylph north instead of 2 level 2 dwarves as the upkeep would be the same, but her help would probably help me finish faster.
Attachments
HttT-A_Choice_Must_Be_Made_replay.gz
(95.24 KiB) Downloaded 135 times

LordWolfDan

Post by LordWolfDan » October 19th, 2018, 2:46 pm

- 1.14.5, Beginner

- Easy, decide what enemy leader you'll kill

- Indeed interesting. I start to notice Li'sar's change of heart and switching allegiances. Well done indeed.

- Keeping the ground against undead (I went to kill orc leader. By the way, has anyone noticed that the orc leader is the same one from "Elves Besieged"?)

- Adding either fog or shroud of war, leaving the player to wander around the map until finding the enemy units while another one is trying to strike behind your back