Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

gwen42

Re: Eastern Invasion

Post by gwen42 »

In the scenario "Crossing," in the easy mode, the first undead commander is suicidal. He separated from his troops and went straight into the reach of my White Mage and Cavalryman. It was quite easy to dispatch him and all of his troops before the undead reinforcements showed up.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Started a discussion on github about S2 The Escape Tunnel being possibly too hard in the first time through:

https://github.com/wesnoth/wesnoth/issues/3782
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

I wonder about S1, too. The winning strategy is to recruit exclusively Heavy Infantrymen for their high endurance, but if the AI countered by recruiting masses of Dark Adepts, the player would be easily overrun. I realize the enemy can't recruit Dark Adepts (the type isn't in the recruit list), but the player doesn't know this, so essentially, it seems the player is supposed to strategize hoping the enemy made a mistake and didn't bring DAs?
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

'Winning strategy' means 'optimal/easiest strategy for winning' or 'only safe way to win'?
Because I'm objecting if you meant the latter.
And if it's the former, then I'm not sure what you are trying to point out.
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

What I'm saying is that I think the AI could always win if it were allowed to recruit Dark Adepts; and therefore, on turn 1 the player is essentially facing a situation where he has already lost, and can only win if the AI would make mistakes.

(From the player's perspective, not recruiting DAs is an AI mistake since the player doesn't know the AI sides' recruit lists.)
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

In that case I'll add DAs to the enemy recruit list and play the scenario, because I don't think that the DAs would make it unwinnable. Tbh, I never noticed that the AI doesn't recruit them, so I always played and recruited under the assumption that he does.

EDIT:
There you go. I didn't pay as much attention as I should have (I just wanted to finish this scenario fast), but even then, you can just turn it into a war of attrition.
Attachments
EI-The Outpost replay.gz
(25.84 KiB) Downloaded 713 times
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

Thanks for trying that!

I had tried this before I wrote here, but unlike you I forced the AI to recruit only DAs and I lost on turn 7 (with three units remaining against over a dozen DAs). Maybe I could've won if I'd played a different strategy... :hmm:
Konrad2
Forum Moderator

Post by Konrad2 »

What the heck were you trying to prove there? xD
josteph
Inactive Developer

Post by josteph »

That if the AI recruits only DAs, it will always win.

See https://forums.wesnoth.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49197 for my new attempt (with a better strategy, managed to survived to turn 11).
DEAD-HEAD

Post by DEAD-HEAD »

Development Team wrote: February 22nd, 2004, 2:26 pm This is the thread for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion, written by turin.

---

Original Post:

Hello-
I'm working on a loyalist campaign now. I already have the basic plot. I am wondering if anyone wants to playtest my completed levels (i am done with two).
Thus i want to know if i should just post the new files as attachments, or what. There are two map files, two scenario files, an image file, a unit file, and you have to change the game file to access the campaign from the 'campaign menu. So tell me how i should make them accessable.
Please add Fencers Recruits in Northern Outpost level as they can somewhat match mobility of Horsemen and Archers from first level because they are good against Ghouls,Bats and Konrad is Royal Warrior because he looks almost like everyone else as Gweddry(if ain't Grand Marshal) and other three are Generals and that mace looks like Scepter Of Fire
gamer&memer
egallager

Post by egallager »

My main complaints with Eastern Invasion:
  • In "Escape Tunnel" the undead chasing you catch up to you way too quickly, and your dwarf allies are kind of useless
  • In "Lake Vrug" the turn limit is way too low considering all the snow you have to trudge thru
  • In "Captured" it's hard to protect Gweddry from the guards on the turn immediately after freeing him; they kept killing him before I could move him to safety
  • In "Evacuation" the engineer isn't very mobile or good at getting past the guards, so I found myself kinda locked into going the "kill all the orcs" route, which was hard itself
  • In "Weldyn Besieged" the difficulty is kind of overly frontloaded; the liches should probably hold back on their initial assault and save some of their gold for later (maybe by having an income?)
My modifications to this campaign can be found here: https://github.com/cooljeanius/wesnoth_mods/tree/master/campaigns/Eastern_Invasion
(although I'll probably need to clean them up a bit before I can turn them into a pull request)
Edit: I did in fact submit them as a PR, which has been merged: #5496
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

what happened to Dacyn and the Nill stone after the EI? I didn't found anything on the wiki
egallager

Post by egallager »

hermestrismi wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:21 pm what happened to Dacyn and the Nill stone after the EI? I didn't found anything on the wiki
Check out Spannerbag's campaign "After EI"; I don't think he's ported it to 1.16 yet, though, so you'll have to check the 1.14 add-on server...
hermestrismi

Post by hermestrismi »

egallager wrote: June 7th, 2022, 8:01 pm
hermestrismi wrote: June 7th, 2022, 6:21 pm what happened to Dacyn and the Nill stone after the EI? I didn't found anything on the wiki
Check out Spannerbag's campaign "After EI"; I don't think he's ported it to 1.16 yet, though, so you'll have to check the 1.14 add-on server...
I got the same advice twice so I really need to play it viewtopic.php?p=674075#p674075