Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Announcement:

From the changelog:
* Captured: fixed several bugs (#10512), but replaced scenario anyway
That about summarizes it. :D

I fixed several bugs with the scenario, but that was a temporary measure - I knew I was going to replace the scenario eventually, but thought it might not be by when 0.9.2 was released. I did, though, thus the humorous entry in the changelog.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK, this is a major enough change to merit bumping the thread, methinks.

Since the string freeze is looming down upon us, I have finally began the task of rewriting the plot of EI. So far, I've finished and committed the first 7 scenarios. I'll hopefully be finished before Sunday night, or else EI will be an incoherent jumble when 1.0 rolls 'round. :(

So, I encourage everyone who has already played EI to replay it after 1.0, since it will be a tad different this time around...
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

On 0.9.5, the holy water in Xenophobia doesn't seem to work...
A witty saying proves nothing.
-Voltaire
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

The image of the holy water is at (12,20) - however, if you go to (2,12) you get the holy water. Just a slight typo...
-Voltaire
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

OK. I'm committing a fix right now. (IIRC, the water was supposed to be at 12,20, so I'm putting it there, but I'm not sure).

By the way, for any artists out there, I'm still looking for a holy amulet image.
The World of Orbivm
unsung

Post by unsung »

whats the holy amulet do?
Oh no look out its a ray gun.
You should move to avoid the rays
the rays are coming out of the gun
if you are hit by the rays
you will be shot by the rays
the rays are fast so you should be fast to
can you win against the fast rays from the gun?
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

unsung wrote:whats the holy amulet do?
Same as holy water, which it is replacing. I'm replacing it because holy water by convention only lasts for one scenario, and it is supposed to last for the entire campaign.
The World of Orbivm
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Also, Owaec doesn't seem to be AMLA-enabled. Not sure if this is deliberate.
-Voltaire
blackjack

Post by blackjack »

Final thoughts on the campaign:
I find the 2 final scenarios, Weldyn Besieged, and The Duel to be almost trivial.(on medium)

For Weldyn Besieged, I basically brought my holy cavalier, holy swordsman, 2 white mages and killed Mal-Ravanal within 5 turns. It might be more interesting if you don't know who the real Mal-Ravanal is (or maybe he can "transfer" his undead soul to another lich, so you need to kill all seven).

Same for the Duel - Mal-Ravanal charges recklessly, so I killed him within 5 turns. Holy attack really hurts him. It will no doubt be tougher if you don't get all the holy amulets - perhaps they could be "disabled" (with prior warning).
-Voltaire
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

blackjack wrote:Final thoughts on the campaign:
I find the 2 final scenarios, Weldyn Besieged, and The Duel to be almost trivial.(on medium)
I know, I know. I'm working on it.

blackjack wrote:Same for the Duel - Mal-Ravanal charges recklessly, so I killed him within 5 turns. Holy attack really hurts him. It will no doubt be tougher if you don't get all the holy amulets - perhaps they could be "disabled" (with prior warning).
What version did you play this scenario with? I made it a tad harder in 0.9.6, IIRC. Although I might have forgotten to commit my changes. :oops:
The World of Orbivm
santi
Lord of Wesmere

Post by santi »

Last time I played the campaign, only the Duel was playable, and then again it was a good thing Mal-Ravanal came out, first because
Gweddry wouln't stand a chance otherwise and second because it rhymes
with the story, namely Mal-Ravanal being arrogant and unable
to imagine he can be defeated
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Well, I have some plans for balancing changes (i.e. make Mal-Ravanal resistant to holy). I'm going to check with Dave or someone, and if its OK commit the changes. That would make Mal-Ravanal less easy to kill, since a horde of great mages and MOLs would not kill him immediately.
The World of Orbivm
Sly

Post by Sly »

Just finished the campain and I think the Duel is rather well balenced (Mal Ravanal didn't rush up to me but went north when my troops made contact with his, I chased him down with 2 Silver Mages (the best mage assassins ever 8) ) but his hidden troops give a very hard time to my other units (in fact, Gweddry flew and was the only other survivor when the 2 mages killed Mal Ravanal :evil: )

But I tried also Weldyn Besieged and win on turn 3 ... gweddry and dacyn ran for mal Raval, 2 Paladins open a breach in is troops in the castle and he died immediately ... not even funny :cry:
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

The branching will probably be taken out in future versions, since IMHO the plot switch at the end makes for strange storytelling. :?
The World of Orbivm
Sly

Post by Sly »

turin wrote:The branching will probably be taken out in future versions, since IMHO the plot switch at the end makes for strange storytelling. :?
I think that Duel will be kept :wink:

IMHO the end is a little "abrupt" : There is almost no dialog during Duel and absolutely nothing after, only the credits :(