Eastern Invasion

This is the place for discussing development of mainline campaigns, reporting bugs in them and providing overall feedback.

Moderator: Forum Moderators

Development Team
Battle for Wesnoth

Eastern Invasion

Post by Development Team »

This is the thread for the mainline campaign Eastern Invasion, written by turin.

---

Original Post:

Hello-
I'm working on a loyalist campaign now. I already have the basic plot. I am wondering if anyone wants to playtest my completed levels (i am done with two).
Thus i want to know if i should just post the new files as attachments, or what. There are two map files, two scenario files, an image file, a unit file, and you have to change the game file to access the campaign from the 'campaign menu. So tell me how i should make them accessable.
Last edited by turin on September 30th, 2007, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kittel

Post by kittel »

I'll give it a go! :)

(cant you just post the files here?)
Dave
Founding Developer

Re: Loyalist Campaign

Post by Dave »

turin wrote:you have to change the game file to access the campaign from the 'campaign menu.
You don't have to do this.

Just put the [campaign] tag in the same file as your first scenario file, and it will work fine.

I suggest distributing it as both a .tar.gz and a .zip file.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

Here they are. These are just all of the files, you will have to put them in the directories yourself.

this is where the files go on my machine, which runs Linux.
starting from /usr/share/games/wesnoth-data-

Sergeant.cfg in data/units
human-sergeant.png in images
loyalistmap1 im data/maps
loyalistmap2 in data/maps
The_Outpost.cfg in data/scenarios
Escape_Tunnel.cfg in data/scenarios
deaths2.cfg in data

^UPDATE^
^^^^^^^^^
Last edited by turin on February 22nd, 2004, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
And I hate stupid people.
The World of Orbivm
kittel

Post by kittel »

OK, got it installed.

I added in game.cfg:

Code: Select all

[campaign]
        id=loyalist_campaign
        name=Loyalist Campaign
        first_scenario=The_Outpost
        difficulties=EASY,NORMAL,HARD
[/campaign]
and removed a (spurious?) "[campaign]" from The_Outpost.cfg

Also, playing in danish it doesnt just default to english in the beginning - instead you hear Konrad talk to delfador :-)

Some strings need to be renamed i take it?

(i guess ill just play in english for now :) )
miyo

Post by miyo »

You should add it to http://wesnoth.slack.it/?UserScenarios

- Miyo
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

kittel wrote:I added in game.cfg:

[campaign]
        id=loyalist_campaign
        name=Loyalist Campaign
        first_scenario=The_Outpost
        difficulties=EASY,NORMAL,HARD
[/campaign]
and removed a (spurious?) "[campaign]" from The_Outpost.cfg

Also, playing in danish it doesnt just default to english in the beginning - instead you hear Konrad talk to delfador :-)

Some strings need to be renamed i take it?

(i guess ill just play in english for now :) )
um... i took those lines out of game.cfg because Dave told me to. And it works with the lines in The_Outpost.cfg, i tested it.

I don't know anything about translations, and since i just did this for fun, no one else will translate it, probably.
For I am Turin Turambar - Master of Doom, by doom mastered. On permanent Wesbreak. Will not respond to private messages. Sorry!
The World of Orbivm
kittel

Post by kittel »

um... i took those lines out of game.cfg because Dave told me to. And it works with the lines in The_Outpost.cfg, i tested it.
hmm... didnt work for me with 6.99.4. But maybe I am special or did something wrong (or it is only supported in CVS?).
I don't know anything about translations, and since i just did this for fun, no one else will translate it, probably.
Who knows? :D

But what i meant was the following: Normally when playing in "danish", if something is not translated, the english text appears instead (which is fine). But it seems that here, some random dialogue from the main campaign appears instead.

I havent more than glanced at the code, but do I understand it correctly if this problem is attributed to the lines like this:

[message]
  id=msg1_1
Which I guess means that the engine will search for the danish translation of the string with id "msg1_1". I think the fix is to change this to for instance id=loyalist_msg1_1.

(waiting to be corrected by someone who actually understands wesnoth code).
kittel

Post by kittel »

OK, just did some testing.

Quite interesting first scenario. I was very much on the defensive, but I guess thats the point.

Second scenario looks very promising, although i havent made it past round 7 yet :) (playing in medium here)

Basically i steer all my men to the right, and get stuck fighting some troll whelps. (more than stuck, they kick my behind).

And when the undead appeared behind me, I was more or less done for.

Also I found a bug: In scenario 2 Gweddry died, but I didn't loose and the game just went on!

All in all it looks quite promising. Cant wait til you make more (and I make it past scenario 2 :) )
kittel

Post by kittel »

OK, tried second level once more. [warning: might be some spoilers below!]

This time it went quite differently.

The troll whelps didnt swarm me immediately but were more or less stuck in the 1-hex wide tunnel to the east of the first intersection. After I had gone south, the undeads and the trolls clashed in there, which was quite nice.

Then i went further on, but was trapped inside a room with a chest in it, with 20 troll whelps outside.

Managed to level a mage to a white mage, thus giving me some healing, and i could hold them off until the end of turns.

Quite fun - ill have another go at it now! :-)

This time
kittel

Post by kittel »

Third times the charm i guess.

This time I wasnt crowded at the south.

I have a feeling that the reason for the huge differences in what the AI does, is because it doesnt cope well with these long 1-hex wide tunnels?

Also, when i reached the end of the tunnel, it didnt name me a winner, but instead the game just went on.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

There is no trigger making you lose when Gweddry dies.
Oddly enough, when Mal-Bakral (the undead leader) dies, you lose- i have no idea why.

I know why you did not win- the trigger was set wrong. I'll fix that.

^UPDATE ABOVE^
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
The World of Orbivm
telex4

Post by telex4 »

Unless this is supposed to be a difficult campaign, I'd only allow the enemies to recruit first level units in the first couple of scenarios.
turin
Lord of the East

Post by turin »

I agree- only one of the enemies can recruit second level on the first scenario, and none on the second. However, the first scenario is defensive, so i will let this one enemy recruit second level. However, i may make it so he cannot recruit blood bats, as they are so powerful.

These are the newest versions- sorry for updating them so often. :(
The World of Orbivm
Dave
Founding Developer

Post by Dave »

kittel wrote: I havent more than glanced at the code, but do I understand it correctly if this problem is attributed to the lines like this:

[message]
  id=msg1_1
Which I guess means that the engine will search for the danish translation of the string with id "msg1_1". I think the fix is to change this to for instance id=loyalist_msg1_1.

(waiting to be corrected by someone who actually understands wesnoth code).
This is correct. Please use ids that are unique across all scenarios.

In fact, if you don't understand ids, don't use them at all. The only purpose of ids is to facilitate translations, and if you don't expect your work to be translated, don't use any ids at all, and if at a later time someone wants to translate it, you can add the ids in then.

David
“At Gambling, the deadly sin is to mistake bad play for bad luck.” -- Ian Fleming